Going My Way - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Going My Way Reviews

January 1, 2014
OK, but not great. Mildly interesting storyline that isn't overly engaging. The movie just seems to amble along, with no particular place to go. Furthermore, it often seems like it is merely a vehicle for Bing Crosby's singing and music (despite not being a musical).

This said, it is hard to dislike. It has a charm and sweetness which carries it along, and, to a degree, makes up for the lack of direction.

Decent performances all round, but no stand-outs. Yes, Bing Crosby and Barry Fitzgerald both won Oscars, but both their characters seem too one-dimensionally nice and uncomplicated to garner Oscars. Interestingly, Fitzgerald was nominated for Best Leading Actor and Best Supporting Actor, the only time this has happened, and the only time it will ever happen. The rules re acting nominations were changed due to this event.
December 30, 2013
Charming movie. Love Bing in this one. Corny but cool.
½ December 29, 2013
It's not as much the narrative as it is the lovely goodness & the passion for life exhibited in the characters that it portrays. It made me wish to be more like them. That is its greatest strength. On account of that, the film is a success. It's the quiet moments among the characters where it shines most brightly.
As for the characters, the older priest offers one of the most wonderful supporting performances I've ever seen. As I was watching, it made me think, "This level of habitation within a character is what makes drama compelling...not CGI."
Is there anything Bing Crosby can't do? At first, I thought his performance was adequate. But as the film went on, I didn't realize how subtle it was. He was so making O'Mally his own, that I hadn't a clue that I was watching the most successful entertainer in the world. I thought, "He couldn't be a famous singer...he's a priest."
Sadly, Hollywood no longer promotes the values in films such as these. They should go back & watch it to learn something.

ps- I couldn't help but laugh, thinking, "THESE are the people that zealots like Dawkins think are the problem in the world." Tragically, they've convinced too many of the same...like Hollywood producers.
½ November 18, 2013
Bing Crosby stars as an unconventional priest sent to a failing parish in order to turn it around. It's a 2-hour schmaltz-fest directed by Leo McCarey, but I think it had it's moments...and I've never been one to discount the value of a little schmaltz. Crosby is fine in the role, but it is really amazing to me that this won Best Picture, Best Director, AND Best Actor. I mean it's decent, but it isn't really THAT good. It's classic Hollywood though, and for that I'd recommend it.
½ October 1, 2013
While it has great performances and some heartwarming moments plus 'Swinging on a Star' is a classic, Going My Way is also an awkward mix of drama and musical which goes as such - a long dialogue > a song and so on. Moreover, Bing Crosby, both the character and the actor, is somewhat not believable in the role of the priest, as terrific as he is. In the end, it is an amiable little film joining 'Driving Miss Daisy' and 'The King's Speech' in the list of solid films not deserving of best picture.
September 9, 2013
Sentimental but a bit dull. This is the film to see with the kids at Christmas if you don't want them exposed to the least bit of stress. Crosby is not offensive but you wish he could be ever so slightly.
August 20, 2013
How can you not love the loving chemistry of Crosby-Fitzgerald in this film? The songs are sublime, the acting is extraordinary and a happy-go-lucky film. Splendid.
½ August 5, 2013
In wartime, you don't expect a film on church to be Elmer Gantry-alike, but offering people consoles. Indeed, you just expect to be motivated and receptive to its positiveness, but Bing Crosby's voice of nature and the brilliant performance from Barry Fitzgerald add a lot of colour, fun, warmth and subtlety to the film.
½ June 27, 2013
Okay. Only four more best picture winners to go, let's get to the second to last winner to review from the 40's, Going My Way.

Plot: St. Dominic's is a catholic church that for the past 45 years (46 in October *drum Rimshot*) has been under the leadership and care of Father Fitzgibbon. When the church is facing financial problems, the bishop assigns Father Chuck O'Malley to help. But O'Malley goes on a rough head start when his informal appearance and attitude gets him into trouble. Nevertheless, O'Malley uses his charm and cleverness to try to transform the church and the people in the town for the better.

This is another film that's very light, charming and simple. But this one may have more charm, emotion, wit and dramatic moments then You Can't Take It With You at certain points. Bing Crosby as Father O'Malley was a very likable guy with his charming sort of optimism and cleverness on how to change the way things went in St. Dominic's and tries to help what's happening to Father Fitzgibbon and the townspeople. Bing Crosby's performance has been known to have been so good that he unsurprisingly won Best Actor for his performance for this film and also played the same character in The Bells of St. Mary's where he was at least nominated again for the same category. Now one argument against this film that I kind of noticed when I saw this movie again for reviewing is that O'Malley might not necessarily be a particularly well done character. That in the rough words of one audience reviewer in Rotten Tomatoes, Jim Hunter, he's not entirely good as a character because he's too perfect. And I can see that; he wasn't really challenged buy what was happening and there wasn't really a side that was any different from him appearing as anything less then practically flawless. But with this kind of movie, he's not really suppose to be. Even if some of the things he does is arguably too simplistic and some solutions to some problems are practically handed to him with ease, that doesn't exactly make him and therefore the film bad. Because even if that is the case, they handle it really well, sometimes with really good wit or charm, but otherwise with some really good emotional moments too. And there isn't exactly no conflict at all - there's one turn during the last half hour or so of the movie that for the most part was pretty dramatic and well timed. And it's not just O'Malley to pay attention to. Some of the other characters like Fitzgibbon and also Father O'Dowd were also very enjoyable. In fact Barry Fitzgerald was nominated for both leading and supporting role for being Fitzgibbon and won supposting. (Yeah I don't know how being nominated for both worked either.)

And that's my review for Going My Way it's a charming and witting film that despite some arguments, does have a fair amount of emotion and drama at some points and has some memorable characters, but most notably Bing Crosby as Father O'Malley. It's not the most conflicting or complex film, but it doesn't need to be to be a particularly enjoyable film.
½ June 3, 2013
For a musical, it's not that bad.
March 29, 2013
Made with good intentions and featuring honest performances from Bing Crosby and Barry Fitzgerald, "Going My Way" is sadly just too maudlin and much too long to be considered a good film. If anything, it's worth watching because of its place in film history as a Best Picture winner, its amiable characters and because of Bing Crosby's chart topper, "Swinging on a Star," but other than that, it's poorly-paced, overlong by a good half hour and just way too nice.
March 1, 2013
This film did in 1944 what Sister Act did more recently, and Jesus himself did in his day: beg the self-righteous religious conservatives of their time to love more freely. Sadly a timeless topic for the ages. CDW
February 13, 2013
Para o publico mais racional, este longa vai parecer apenas uma fabula tosca com personagens superficiais, mas O Bom Pastor é apenas um filme, doce, com ótimas atuações e sem grandes pretensões - e ainda com algumas canções realmente animadoras.
December 26, 2012
Extremely sweet and a pleasure to the ears, Going My Way is an example of classic Hollywood filmmaking with Bing Crosby at his dramatic best alongside Barry Fitzgerald who is too troubled to be ignored, this movie has embedded itself in the minds of contemporary society.
½ December 25, 2012
Good movie and heart-warming story...i really enjoyed this one
½ December 24, 2012
Bing Crosby portrays the inculpable Father Chuck O'Malley, who rivals Jesus himself in moral purity. O'Malley is assigned to an ailing parish to replace grumpy old Pastor Fitzgibbon (Barry Fitzgerald). There is no antagonist to speak of, and the film is a mostly languid "do-gooder" drama that is only really entertaining during its musical bits or when Fitzgerald is on-screen. If you could make a 1944 propaganda film to sell the Catholic Priesthood, it would probably be "Going My Way." Maybe that was the point, but the film is very outdated in this respect. During one scene, Father O'Malley convinces a bunch of young trouble-making boys to join him for a trip to the baseball park. "Its a date," the priest says. I couldn't help but smirk. The film also disparages atheists and non-practicing Catholics. There are a couple of memorable jingles and performances but this was a movie for its time, not ours.
December 22, 2012
I always cry at the end!
October 26, 2012
Bing Crosby is as charming as ever, but the films many sub plots become quite cumbersome after a while.
½ August 23, 2012
When it comes to Bing Crosby there's no point in renting his work- For me buying his collection of Dvd's is the smartest investment i made.
Holiday Inn isn't the typical Seasonal film, it's a story that takes you on the road less taken. It's Cabret style and marvelously talented cast take you through a time when Parties were the highlight of a decade not just another reason to get drunk.
July 17, 2012
the first forty minutes or so of "going my way" is a lot of fun. lots of good humor, quirkiness, and a fine performance from bing crosby. after that, the film doesn't seem to know where to go, but insists on going on for about a half hour longer than necessary. towards the end, it bounces back a bit, but the middle needed to be cut down, rewritten, reworked, something, anything.