Going Overboard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Going Overboard Reviews

½ November 10, 2013
Filled with unfunny jokes and bad acting, this film drowns in it's shame
½ September 20, 2013
Despite the interesting choice of cast line up, and the fact that it's Sandler's first film, this movie was pretty bad. You're probably wondering why I even gave it two and half stars. Well, because I actually enjoyed some parts, and Sandler himself was a charming young man. Overall, though, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a die hard fan of him.
½ August 30, 2013
Not a bad film considering it was on no budget, funniest gag has to be the fact that it has Adam Sandler aiming to be a rich comedian and now he is. Shame about the bad reviews, I watched it mainly on the fact it was Sandlers debute film and I'm glad I did, was not the worst film I've watched.
August 20, 2013
How Adam Sandler is still making movies I'll never know, but this has to be his worst acting in his career.
To me it felt like a video made by Joe Francis (Girls Gone Wild) but even I know his videos have a way better plot then this movie.
You can pin point the spots of amateur acting, especially with Adam Sandler. It was really hard to keep concentration on the movie when all I wanted to do was shut it off, but I kept telling myself "I've gone this far into it, can't stop now".
Trust me if you collect or enjoy watching bad movies, then watch this, but beware. You're in for 1 hr. and 37 min of absolutely nothing but annoying nonsense, and laugh-less nonsense at that.
Literally the more talented actors are the ones not speaking in this movie.
½ August 7, 2013
Adam's time wasnt until mid 90s+...
July 12, 2013
Paying any amount of money to see this is too much. In fact, Sandler should have to pay you for seeing it as a way of saying "sorry". Ironically, his latest films all seem to be trying to one-up this "golden oldie" in laughlessness. (I don't care that it's not a real word)
May 8, 2013
I really can't get into this movie; I understand it's low budget, but the one character I found funny wasn't in the movie longer than 5 minutes. I would only suggest this movie if you love terrible 80's humor.
April 13, 2013
It looks as if it was naturally staged like if somebody was like hey lets make a movie, this is what they would get i under stand this was like his first work for a "no Budget" film but it was hard to watch even 30 minutes of it before i had to write a review.
½ March 26, 2013
Not only is this adam sandlers worst film...but it is one of the worst movies of all time...its as bad as movies can get
½ March 25, 2013
I realize this is Adam's beginning of this badass career... but man... this movie SUCKED! They could have atleast came up with a better, funnier band name besides yellow-teeth. wtf? Oh Well. Adam you broke out of that.. and became one of my comedic actors.
½ March 5, 2013
You'll probably see better group projects in a college film course.
½ February 1, 2013
How could anybody, at any point in time, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, think that this movie was a good idea? "Going Overboard" is so awful that you can't even call it bad. You would have to invent a new term for this movie to explain the horrific stupidity contained within. This is truly worse than watching an animal die a slow, painful death. It has some of the worst dialogue that I have ever heard, maybe even worse that "Birdemic" and "The Room." For goodness sake, SOMEBODY BUILD A FOURTH WALL AND STOP ADAM SANDLER FROM TALKING TO ME! This 90-minute commentary between Sandler and the audience is absurd with lines like "These guys don't have anything to do with the film but we just threw them in for variety." I don't know who wrote the script or why they hired the worst cast of actors available (including Sandler) but this movie is painful. "Happy Gilmore" and "Billy Madison" are two of my favorite comedies of all time but the stupid humor in this film is delivered so poorly that it is just nauseating. Sandler's characters are always ridiculous and over-the-top (which makes them so memorable), but these ones are acted so unconvincingly that you just want to see them all go overboard with concrete shoes. I have watched some awful movies in my day but somehow, this film is a strong candidate for the worst movie ever.
½ January 30, 2013
Sometimes, a shit movie is just a shit movie.
½ January 28, 2013
This is the Worst movie i have ever seen in my life i hate to say it i love adam sandler but this movie SUCKED srry adam :(
December 20, 2012
Oh boy, more Adam Sandler garbage...he does not make me laugh (maybe Opera Man).
October 31, 2012
Wow. Adam Sandler's first starring role? Kind of a fail. At least he made something of himself after this.
September 19, 2012
Sandler stars as Shecky Moskowitz, a cruise ship waiter who dreams of being a successful comedian. He wants to be the comedian for the cruise but is passed on in favor of Scott LaRose's Dickie Diamond. After Dickie supposedly falls overboard and drowns, the ship needs a new comedian and Shecky steps in hoping he can finally make other people laugh.
Being an Adam Sandler fan, I knew I wanted to watch this movie since it was his very first. However, while I was watching the movie I slowly became less interested, never found myself laughing, and felt indifferent once the movie was over. One of the problems with this movie was its interludes showing a montage of swimsuit clad women. I do not mind interludes in movies because even if they do not advance to the plot they can be enjoyable. However, these interludes became a drag to watch after the first one and they kept being shown a few more times. There was also a five minute "mini-concert" where a rock star character portrayed by Dan Povenmire sings his band's "hit song," a song that is only known for being in this movie. This concert along with the interludes are merely used for filler using time that could have been used for some character development or laughing moments. Also, because of no character development, it is really difficult to like any of the characters and to get invested into the movie. The audience is supposed to get behind Shecky hoping he can succeed in becoming a comedian, but there is not much effort given to show why we, the audience, should care especially because Shecky keeps messing up. However, the one character I disliked most was Dickie Diamond. Dickie is meant to be an antagonist for the film since he is the thing that is keeping Shecky from fulfilling his dream. However, rather than acting like an interesting antagonist, Dickie just acts like a bully, a kind that Adam Sandler movies have become infamous for. Dickie drops f-bombs whenever he pleases and he has no reason for most of his actions other than just being a jerk. In one scene, for example, Shecky asks if he can be an opening act for Dickie for one night, but rather than just saying no, Dickie just keeps telling Shecky he does not care what he is saying. I realize life is not like the movies, but how does repeatedly saying "I don't care" rather than just saying "no" make the movie or character more interesting? The character wasn't funny, doesn't say anything funny, and only makes this poor excuse for a film more unbearable.
For a hardcore Sandler fan, maybe someone could enjoy it because of the fact that it is Sandler's first movie. Other than that, I really cannot recommend this movie to anyone else because half the time, it does not even feel like a movie. The characters are unlikeable, not fit for their roles, or both, the plot is not taken entirely seriously, and the ending just happens in a snap.
½ September 16, 2012
couldn't make it past the first 20 minutes :-(
August 28, 2012
This is the worst piece of shit passed off as comedy I have ever seen...this is 97 minutes of wasting your life
½ August 10, 2012
This "movie" was horrible.