Gojira - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gojira Reviews

December 9, 2016
Of course where one of my favorite monsters Godzilla came from, while not my favorite Godzilla film, its still a damn good one! Its not really just a monster movie, as it provides post-war commentary on nuclear destruction, making it dark and sinister at times. But still highly enjoyable, as there is still a good amount of destruction. Highly recommend it.
November 25, 2016
This is my favorite movie of all time. Gojiras suit is really menacing and he just looks real Ishiro Honda can make movies, sadly people think the new Godzilla movies are better but in my opinion this is the best.
October 20, 2016
A masterpiece of monster movie-making that should be examined again by more serious film buffs. Despite special effects less impressive than that of King Kong (1933), creates a great story and offers disturbing, but important thoughts about nuclear destruction and mass production of modern-day weaponry. Skip the Raymond Burr version. This is the real deal.
October 10, 2016
A cinematic masterpiece, historical movie treasure. This film is awesome. Special effects are tremendous. The use of miniature models is superb. Night scenes with Godzilla photographed flawlessly. Social message is strong and clear given the dark times of the postwar world and a fear of nuclear war.
October 6, 2016
I was delightfully surprised by the human elements in this movie. It's one of the rarest horror movies to make me sympathize sincerely for humanity.
August 18, 2016
100/A+. One of the best postwar commentary and anti nuclear films. Yes it's the same movie with a guy in a giant lizard costume destroy miniature sections of Tokyo and toy military vehicles.
July 31, 2016
The original Godzilla film is a masterpiece of Japanese cinema!
July 18, 2016
What makes Honda's premier 'Gojira' picture a masterpiece is not the titular monster, but the people and story surrounding him. The real, substantial dread stems from the paranoia and melancholy that plagued post-WWII Japan. What followed, of course, was a slew of dumb (but often enjoyable) sequels and imitators, but none of them achieved the true beauty of the original.
July 14, 2016
The most iconic movie from Japan, Godzilla or Gojira is a impact of cinema with it's classic technology of a man in a rubber suit. So satisfying to see destruction at it's best!
July 13, 2016
The score and effects are fantastic for a movie that is over 60 years old.
June 1, 2016
Spectacular, deeply political, and emotionally moving artwork!!
½ May 30, 2016
Everyone knows Godzilla as "a living nuclear weapon" (as Professor Yamane's cinematic descendant, Dr. Hayashida, called him thirty years down the road), but few Americans acknowledge him as a symbolic representation of the twentieth century's largest scientific-technological juggernaut: the U.S. Armed Forces. As much a walking B-29 bomber as anything else, Godzilla's fiery stroll is meant to invoke the seven-month long bombing campaign Japan's capital endured over the course of 1945. That experience left as wide a mark on Japan as Fat Boy or Little Man, and the next time you wonder why monsters are inexplicably drawn to Tokyo remember what the Army codenamed Operation Meetinghouse. In one night, March 10, 1945, over three hundred B-29s carpeted the city with incendiary bombs, annihilating some sixteen miles of real estate and over one hundred thousand human beings.

Recent scholarship suggests that figure may be low, but the point is obvious. It would've been even more obvious to a 1950s, Tokyo audience, and Honda consciously showcases the horrific results of Godzilla's rampages as much as the artistic mores of his time allow. Much of the film involves characters jawing over the initial mystery, and eventual ramifications, of Godzilla's existence, but Honda's direction shines in the second half once everyone shuts up and film's real star arrives. Here we see Kurosawa's friend and disciple shine, his eye capturing some genuinely arresting imagery. I think it's safe to call this Honda's artistic high water mark, unless we count his second unit work on Kagemusha or Ran. Never again would so deft a hand turn to giant monster movie making, and we are all sorrier for it.

Certain Tsuburaya effects conspire to make us sorrier-still, particularly if we're trying to explain all of the above to friends who keep shouting, "Toy boat! Toy boat!" Godzilla's realized through a combination of two suits (inhabited by stuntman Haruo Nakajima, who'd go on to play Godzilla in twelve more films) and several rod puppets, none of which look particularly like each other, a sure sign of a rushed special effects house. The toy firetrucks, tanks, planes and (yes) boats date the film as much, if not more, as this. But their scenes are gratefully brief and most come at such brooding moments (right before their alleged occupant's deaths in most cases) that their presence does not sour the film's overall effect.

Human characters are the film's real weakest link, never rising above the level of animating stand-ins. They are as archetypal as the monster they oppose, and just as one-dimensional. The actors are not to be faulted, and all fulfill their roles with a dignity and grace absent other daikaiju pictures. Their reactions to Godzilla are appropriately, believably horrified. Their reactions to each other are constrained by screen time and the cultural gulf that now stretches across time further than it ever stretched across oceans. Shadows in a lost world, they are nevertheless to be commended for deft handling of what must've been a damned strange experience.

A great film? Perhaps to some of us. Historic? God yes. A Godzilla film for all ages and all times, eternally bound to its own time and place. Gojira remains the undisputed King of the genre. Without it, your education is incomplete. Without it, I would not be here today.
May 1, 2016
Great Movie with a great message about the atomic weapons
April 4, 2016
Best monster from Japon and one of my favorites.
March 25, 2016
Gojira (1954) ???
The definitive giant monster movie. Huge lizard emerges from toxic waste and terrorizes Tokyo Japan. Somber, highly entertaining, must-see. The American version, titled GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS!, edits out some original footage and adds some newer ones, with narration by Raymond Burr. This version is much less subtle and effective, and rates ?? 1/2.
½ March 18, 2016
There were no CGI in 1954, but Gojira came up from the abyss. Great japanese old school horror with a actually story.
March 6, 2016
A masterpiece. Both very dark and very haunting.
February 21, 2016
The original genre-defining classic is also a sociopolitical allegory for weapons of mass destruction. Shot in black and white, it makes the whole movie more ominous and hides some of the special effects' technical limitations.
February 9, 2016
One of my all-time favourite movies and in no way a B-movie, but a grim, heart-felt disaster movie which metaphors Godzilla in a perfect way.
January 16, 2016
Godzilla is one of the greatest monster movies ever made. Godzilla is also serious, dark, moving and definitely not dumb or campy. Also the scenes with Godzilla are amazing.