Gold Diggers of 1933 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gold Diggers of 1933 Reviews

September 27, 2012
Tastefully shot, playfully acted, and immaculately staged, this Depression-Era musical features a humorous and lighthearted script as well as some rather stunning stage performances. The cast does a phenomenal job of absolutely owning their respective roles, and legendary choreographer Busby Berkeley's music numbers do nothing but dazzle with their boundless creativity and focus.
September 10, 2012
Watch it not for the acting or story necessarily, but for the musical numbers. They are worth sitting through the whole thing. Beautiful music, awesome costumes, great dancing and singing of course, and amazing visuals (especially Shadow Waltz).
½ June 24, 2012
What made this movie work was the characters. Specifically the female characters. You get to know who they are and care about them and what they are doing or hoping for in the film. In a lot of films made decades later you find female characters are written as either generic girlfriends/wives, sex objects or he-women feminist types who "don't need a man". As a man it was refreshing to see female characters who are still feminine and girly but have a lot of depth to them. Modern day writers can learn a lot about how to write proper female characters from this film.
April 8, 2012
Another beautiful film from the ingenious Busby Berkely, Gold Diggers is just as much about the social history of the United States during the Great Depression than it is a dazzling musical. Movies during this era weren't apt to prod a finger at the government, or point out the obvious calamities of the financial crash of 1929. I point specifically to the Astaire/Rogers films, which always had glitz and glamour, looking at the playboy angle of Astaire and the dilettante showgirl that was Rogers. What is great about Gold Diggers is that not only does it address the times, it also shows grandeur towards the rich and romanticizes love, just as the movie musical is supposed to. Because of its eccentricities and allowance to be different, it is much easier to distinguish it from the thousands of other movies of that time period which all portrayed the wealthy and luscious as the happy ones. Not only was it certainly different yet gleeful, it is serious in its intent in showing the poor and downtrodden of the country, especially in the last sequence entitled "Forgotten Man." That number shows the veterans of America who are now homeless and tarnished, one of the most moving song and dance numbers in a musical ever. Busby reuses past actresses Ruby Keeler and Ginger Rogers from his musical of that same year, 42nd Street. Both films had spectacular set design, visual effects, and lovely musical numbers. Though the music in this film was very intriguing and sticks in the brain, two of the three large scale musical numbers were confusing and didn't make sense in the context of the theater. There was still some great costume changes and background, but it was really, very, confusing. Through it all it's got a timeless sense of humor, that has survived throughout, as many good older films have. It's also good to see because it's a Pre-Code film, which deals with sexuality, pre-marital sex, and the times it was set in. Powerful in so many respects, it's one of the best examples of classic cinema.
½ April 7, 2012
"Gold-Diggers of 1933" is a sassy, charming Depression era musical. With feisty and funny performances from it's female cast and some dazzling set pieces (both comedic and staged musical) that are topped off with some intriguing social and historical commentary help make this an enduring classic.
March 20, 2012
awesome depression era musical
citawijaya
½ February 9, 2012
Though I'm not really a fan of the story but I just fucking love the fantastic musical numbers. Man, I love classic musical.
January 21, 2012
how is billy west in this if he was born in 1950, and this movie came out in 1933??
½ November 13, 2011
This was the first Busby Berkely movie that I have seen and I can see why he has such an outstanding reputation. The story was fairly standard, but the dance numbers were quite amazing. This is definitely a cinematic classic that should be seen by any serious film lover.
½ October 30, 2011
Always love a Busby Berkley musical!
stevenecarrier
½ August 30, 2011
July 30, 2011
Fun! Busby Berkeley! What more do you need?
April 29, 2011
They don't make them like this anymore. Fantastic.
½ February 20, 2011
½ January 20, 2011
This is an extremely entertaining film. The three female leads have fantastic comic timing and are incredibly engaging. The ending of the film feels like it was tacked on and carries a completely different tone from the rest of the film. Other than that, Busby Berkley's musical numbers fit the film perfectly, as over the top and oddly quirky.
½ November 28, 2010
I wasn't as crazy about Gold Diggers 33' as I was about Dames, but it's still a lot of fun. Berkley still feels like he's really coming into his own on this.
½ November 20, 2010
One of the better 1930's musicals. Ginger Rogers is great in it and the music is all really good for the time.
November 3, 2010
One of Warner's great black and white musicals, this one featuring a fresh-faced Ginger Rogers. Roger and two other ladies are determined to get financial backing for their dream show, and seem to get lucky, but their tentative benefactor's older brother isn't too crazy about them. Severely dated, but still a pleasure.
½ October 24, 2010
A classic movie, if you love old musicals and comedies, this is a must see. The movie has a lot of great stars, and they are really funny in this movie together. This one is a lot better than the other gold digger movies. I loved this movie, it was a lot of fun, and the songs are terrific too. I highly recommend this movie.
August 23, 2010
Warner Brothers studios of the late '20s & early '30s is said to more openly and bluntly portray the lives and struggles of average, working-class people. Moreover, this dance director, Busby Berkeley, is alleged to be somewhat more sensual than their peers.

All this is important to me because I find most movies of the 40's and 50's to be way, way too pristine, sterile, and politically-correct (for that time). I am looking forward to seeing more movies prior to the formation of the Production Code Administration (PCA) (1934-1968), which required all filmmakers to submit their films for approval before release (to monitor for everything under the sun).