The Golden Bowl Reviews

bbcfloridabound
December 28, 2009
A disappointing movie to say the least, with such an all-star cast. Nick Nolte was at his good point here, but still could only do the best he could for the scripted role he played. Uma Thurman a beautiful women even in this movie, Anjelica Houston, I could go on and on, as you see a star studded cast, and a wash out of a movie, the version I watch seemed like it was at one time supposed to be a mini Series that was cut up to make a movie. Put out by BBC Films, one of the few disappointments that they have put out. I can only manage to give it 2 stars.
FanGirl
June 21, 2006
I didn't like this movie the first time, I've watched it couple more times and it has grown on me.
May 19, 2012
Other than the superb "Remains of the Day," I've never been very impressed with Mr. Ivory's work, and I credit that more to Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson. This is as boring as stuffy old literature can get.
½ June 19, 2010
Beautifully produced. The costumes and sets are fantastic. The cinematography is amazing. The cast is great, especially Uma Thurman. With these period pieces, sometimes I get bored. And I did get bored at times with The Golden Bowl. It is too long as well, which did not help.
April 4, 2009
I so much enjoyed this movie. When one is married no matter how much u feel for someone else don't have an affair especilly too if its wife a father in law who loves his dauthter and his wife is off limits.
September 16, 2008
A wealthy father and daughter marry, but don't realize that their spouses use to be together in the past and now are lovers again.
September 4, 2007
Not sure why I've been watching so many elite society movies lately, especially since I hardly ever enjoy them. That holds true with this one. I don't understand any of the social things these people do and I have no interest in understanding. All these people running around having their affairs and feeling sorry for themselves because they can't have everything. To hell with that.

On a positive note - the cast is good. I always like to see Nolte in a big part. Thurman holds her own in a movie that I wouldn't have considered her being in. Beckinsale and Northam are both very good as well. You can relate to them every once in a while.

As far as filmmaking, I noticed very little. Other than the intro scene which left me with a since of dread throughout (though the pay off was a bit more reserved than the intro scene).
August 11, 2006
i stayed up with my mom until like 3 am watching this...i was so delirious....the title actually makes sense and ahh...crazy how that works
½ March 25, 2008
It is beautifully, dramatically and grandly long, tedious, boring and slow.
May 9, 2013
very good. slow start but keep watching
July 16, 2012
Not Ivory/Merchant's best, but will get the job done for fans.
½ June 18, 2012
Nunca entendere porque contrataron a Uma Thurman para este rol :S
½ December 26, 2010
The Golden Bowl is a interesting film. The costumes and setting are excellent and beautiful. Uma Thurman and Kate Beckinsale give incredible performances. The screenplay is well written. James Ivory did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed this motion picture because of the drama and romance. The Golden Bowl is a must see.
November 5, 2010
Friday, November 5, 2010

(2000) The Golden Bowl
DRAMA

From the makers of Ivory and Merchant who were responsible for time period films such as "Howard's End", "Remains of the Day" and "Room Without A View"! This is yet another time period film with the set up, the Uma Thurman character marrying a much older fella so that she can be near a much younger male person (closer to her age) whose commited to be engaged to the daughter of the older fella (Nick Nolte). Long film with a satisfying conclusion! The problem with this film is that with it's running time of more than two hours is too long for some to even care about this love triangle! To generally sum up this film is, mature adults handling mature situations without the need for unnecessary physical violence for it demands a viewer's patience! Good but not great!

2.5 out of 4
½ June 6, 2008
Bland and dull. Don't usually like these type of films and this one is no different.
June 24, 2007
½ April 28, 2005
Una más que digna película de época, en la que se mezcla el amor, la pasión, las intrigas familiares y palaciegas, la amistad, la traición, y la ambición. Ambición de algunos por conseguir dinero, dinero que les asegure un futuro; ambición de otros por conseguir entroncarse con un buen apellido, y con la nobleza.

Una excelente puesta en escena, al igual que una maravillosa dirección artística y un vestuario impecable ayudan a la recreación del film. James Ivory mantiene un gran ritmo, y consigue que la trama no decaiga en ningún momento, manteniendo continuamente el interés.

Jeremy Northam (excelente actor británico por el que siento debilidad), Nick Nolte, Uma Thurman realizan muy buenas interpretaciones, mientras que Kate Beckinsale está correcta.

Un saludo!
½ February 25, 2005
Peter Sellers was in a lot of films that basically wasted his talents. Like these three here. Or maybe I'm thinking too much of him. Dunno.

Kate Beckinsale is a person who I had no idea what she looked like. I just saw her name in the opening credits of [b]Golden Bowl[/b] and somehow automatically assumed that she's the one in the leading role. So throughout the film i kept thinking: "man, this kate beckinsale, she looks a lot like uma thurman". at one point I remember even speculating how she would've done in kill bill, and came to the conclusion that she didn't have what it took. not enough edge for it, i suppose. she was too cute.
...so naturally i felt like an ass when i saw uma thurman in the end credits.