The Golden Bowl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Golden Bowl Reviews

½ September 1, 2014
It is beautifully, dramatically and grandly long, tedious, boring and slow.
May 9, 2013
very good. slow start but keep watching
½ February 19, 2013
Yes I am a Merchant-Ivory type. I loved this movies as well!
½ February 19, 2013
What a bore! Despite the amazing cast...only Uma Thurman salvages anything positive out of it, and it's not much.
December 3, 2012
Another Merchant / Ivory Classic with the Midas touch.
October 17, 2012
Back in the day they cut off your head for cheating. Hmm, deep.
July 16, 2012
Not Ivory/Merchant's best, but will get the job done for fans.
½ June 18, 2012
Nunca entendere porque contrataron a Uma Thurman para este rol :S
May 19, 2012
Other than the superb "Remains of the Day," I've never been very impressed with Mr. Ivory's work, and I credit that more to Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson. This is as boring as stuffy old literature can get.
May 2, 2012
Decadence and Deciet,love it
½ February 8, 2012
wathced half an hour of it and it bored da hell outta me. just not my type of flick
½ November 1, 2011
yep you get all the great settings and costumes that you'd expect from an ivory/merchant film but the story was somewhat lacking that i could never get into. if you are a merchant ivory fan of course you'll watch this but not as good as some of their other flicks.
½ June 19, 2011
Having read the book, the movie can't compare, even at 2 hours & 14 minutes with the subtleties of James's book. James leaves us with a lot of questions about who determines the ending and whether in the end anyone is happy. The movie is more definitive and therefore less satisfying. The relationship of the Assinghams with each other and the other characters is also simplified to the disadvantage of the movie. The movie also added bookends of an historic incest that, if mentioned in the book at all, certainly was not emphasized.

Having said that the movie was generally well done, with the exception of Uma Thurman's costumes as Charlotte which made her considerably more the scheming floosie, than the wallflower abandoned by her poor lover.
½ December 26, 2010
The Golden Bowl is a interesting film. The costumes and setting are excellent and beautiful. Uma Thurman and Kate Beckinsale give incredible performances. The screenplay is well written. James Ivory did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed this motion picture because of the drama and romance. The Golden Bowl is a must see.
November 5, 2010
Friday, November 5, 2010

(2000) The Golden Bowl

From the makers of Ivory and Merchant who were responsible for time period films such as "Howard's End", "Remains of the Day" and "Room Without A View"! This is yet another time period film with the set up, the Uma Thurman character marrying a much older fella so that she can be near a much younger male person (closer to her age) whose commited to be engaged to the daughter of the older fella (Nick Nolte). Long film with a satisfying conclusion! The problem with this film is that with it's running time of more than two hours is too long for some to even care about this love triangle! To generally sum up this film is, mature adults handling mature situations without the need for unnecessary physical violence for it demands a viewer's patience! Good but not great!

2.5 out of 4
October 9, 2010
I was bored out of my mind. But I may give it another try.
½ June 19, 2010
Beautifully produced. The costumes and sets are fantastic. The cinematography is amazing. The cast is great, especially Uma Thurman. With these period pieces, sometimes I get bored. And I did get bored at times with The Golden Bowl. It is too long as well, which did not help.
½ January 18, 2010
It was adapted from Henry James's novel. Not bad, actually.
January 3, 2010
Complications arise when an Italian prince and an American woman, both impoverished, must forsake their love in order to marry for money. A Merchant-Ivory production.
December 28, 2009
A disappointing movie to say the least, with such an all-star cast. Nick Nolte was at his good point here, but still could only do the best he could for the scripted role he played. Uma Thurman a beautiful women even in this movie, Anjelica Houston, I could go on and on, as you see a star studded cast, and a wash out of a movie, the version I watch seemed like it was at one time supposed to be a mini Series that was cut up to make a movie. Put out by BBC Films, one of the few disappointments that they have put out. I can only manage to give it 2 stars.