The Golden Child - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Golden Child Reviews

½ July 29, 2016
Funny but sometimes dull, But still one of Eddies Murphys best, Just missed the comedy touch and its dark ish tone didn't work.
½ April 24, 2016
I wanted to like this film, I really did. But the few good scene in this (the ones where Chinese Mythology is actually played with) are outweighed by the rest of the movie, which is slow and uninteresting. The characters are pretty bland for the most part, and it's a shame. I saw a lot of potential in this movie, but Michael Ritchie and Paramount didn't even come close to utilizing that potential to the fullest. This movie is only partly charged, and is glitchy when the charge wears off.
March 18, 2016
It's kind of like Beverly Hills Cop 1.5 but it's a part of the classic Eddie Murphy Era when he was still hilarious. The special effects obviously seem dated now but let's be honest that's not why you watch this gem.
January 11, 2016
Very weird and funny movie. The throwback to the 80s is pretty awesome to see now.
December 16, 2015
The Golden Child is a strange mix between Beverly Hills Cop and Big Trouble in Little Tokyo. It fixed everything I hated about Beverly Hills Cop, but really had the potential to be one of the best 80s action comedies if it made its characters larger than life.
A LA cop who specializes in child disappearances is requested to save the recently kidnapped "golden child" in Tibet, who has been granted powers to save the world from the man who kidnapped him, a demon in disguise.
The Golden Child was actually really enjoyable. It was even pretty good, but not great and very easily forgettable. It blends Beverly Hills Cop with some slightly corny danger filled action sequences, testing Murphy more as a hero like protagonist. The story is decent, too, but here's where Golden Child could accel. The characters have the potential to be strong and a lot more compelling than they have been written. the character of the Golden Child himself is already compelling but could have much more to it, his powers are almost God-like and the writers had opportunities to test that in areas. The antagonist Sardo Numpsa is hardly chilling but has a mystical count-like feel to it. The essence that the character is a demon and could rival the Golden Child's powers is also not tested enough. The Golden Child could have so many uses for its characters but instead focuses on Murphy - which Eddie is classic Eddie, not much to say about him. The Golden Child fixed everything I already stated that I hate about the Beverly Hills Cop series, from a faster pace to humor that actually works and isn't just awkward. The Golden Child is good and entertaining, but it had the potential to be a lot more than just an Eddie Murphy box office dough guarantee.
½ December 7, 2015
The Golden Child is not "Golden" at all...more like silver plated. It does have some good parts with Eddie Murphy providing a few laughs but it's nothing special 2.5/5 or 5/10.
½ November 28, 2015
Another childhood favourite that hasn't survived the aging factor. The core story is still interesting and funny but it's all so straight-forward and the third act is very rushed and simple. But still, pitting Eddie Murphy against Charles Dance, it's like watching a hyena quick-talking to a lion, it was fun to watch.
½ October 30, 2015
Outside of Coming To America and the first Beverly Hills Cop, this is Murphy at his most charismatic. It's also a departure from his other balls-out or gritty comedies of the 80s. It's a supernatural-action-romance...it's Eddie Murphy meets Ghostbusters. I always had and still have a soft spot for it.
October 14, 2015
In a temple in an unknown location in northeastern Nepal, a young boy with mystical abilities - the Golden Child - receives badges of station and demonstrates his power to the monks of the temple by reviving a dead eastern rosella, which becomes a constant companion. However, a band of villains led by a mysterious man, Sardo Numspa (Charles Dance), breaks into the hidden temple, slaughters the monks and abducts the boy. Some time afterwards, a young woman named Kee Nang (Charlotte Lewis) watches a Los Angeles TV show in which social worker Chandler Jarrell (Eddie Murphy) talks about his latest case, a missing girl named Cheryll Mosley. She seeks him out the next day and informs him of the kidnapping of the Golden Child and that he is the 'Chosen One' who would save the Child. Chandler does not take this seriously, even after the astral form of the Child and his bird familiar begin following him.
Soon Cheryll Mosley is found, dead from blood loss, near an abandoned house smeared with Tibetan graffiti and a pot full of blood-soaked oatmeal. Kee Nang reveals to him that this house was a holding place for the Child and introduces Chandler to Doctor Hong, a mystic expert, and Kala (a creature half dragon, half woman, who remains hidden behind a screen). The three track down a motorcycle gang, the Yellow Dragons, which Cheryll had joined, and Chinese restaurant owner Tommy Tong, a henchman of Numspa, to whom Cheryll had been 'sold' for her blood, used to make the Child vulnerable to earthly harm. Tong, however, is killed by Numspa as a potential traitor. Still not taking the case too seriously, Chandler is drawn by Numspa-whom Chandler begins to continuously call "Numsy"-into a controlled dream, where he receives a burn mark on his arm. Numspa also presents his demands: the Ajanti Dagger (a mystic weapon which is capable of killing the Golden Child) in exchange for the boy. Chandler finally agrees to help, and he and Kee Nang travel to Tibet to retrieve the Ajanti Dagger...

"The Golden Child" was originally intended as a serious adventure drama with Mel Gibson in the lead role. After Gibson turned the film down and Eddie Murphy replaced him, the script was rewritten as a partial comedy. Released in December 1986, The Golden Child was a box office success. It earned USD$79,817,937 in the U.S. alone, making it the eighth biggest film of the year. However, the film was considered a disappointment by the studio when compared to Murphy's previous film, Beverly Hills Cop, which garnered USD$234,760,478 at the US box office. Been ages since I saw "The Golden Child" and I was keen to resee it. Eddie Murphy was hot in the mid 80s after three massive hits at the box office, "48 Hrs", "Trading Places" and "Beverly Hills Cop". But, one can wonder why he chose to do this one as the set up and script doesnīt really fit him in my eyes. Maybe the problem was the rewrite from a serious adventure drama to an action adventure comedy. Itīs amongst his worst movies to be honest, both plot (it doesnīt really know what it wants to be) and production wise. Eddie Murphy is not at his best. I do like the lovely Charlotte Lewis, but she is handled in a weird way. And Charles Dance is never bad, even if he does look a bit lost here. The effects are hardly up to scratch when seeing it today, but most likely it was ok in 1986. It's pretty poor from a directorial perspective as well. No one seems to really have had the heart in the production. "The Golden Child" can be passed and it wonīt be missed.
August 8, 2015
This falls under the Gymkata genre.
½ May 16, 2015
It's not the finest work of Eddie Murphy and the CGI is dreadful.
April 12, 2015
Big Trouble in Little China lite (which makes sense as John Carpenter was originally going to be the director). Not good enough to be good, not bad enough to be good-bad.
March 22, 2015
A testament to Murphy's star power that this crap ruled the box office.
March 20, 2015
The Golden Child is an 80s classic where Eddie Murphy is given free reign to be himself in the middle of a "world's end" cliche calamity, which provides perfect humour throughout. The special effects are terrible and and in doing so, they add immense value to this timeless classic. There are constant bumps to the ride for the hero of this story, and he pulls his stunts off with hilarious results. Who cares for ceremony? Who cares for seriousness of the situation? Anything can be defused with a bit of Murphy comedy, and this one just does it so well.
February 23, 2015
Eddie's pretty good in this one. I enjoyed it.
February 17, 2015
Vintage Eddie Murphy, yeah, it looks dated, but I loved this as a kid and it is still fun to watch, and the dancing Pepsi can still looks great to this day. The premise is interesting, with some fun action and Eddie Murphy giving some of his most memorable lines, I could not tell you how many times I have quoted it with the line, "Can I please have the knife!" The special effect are fine, although the end fight with the demon was a little too choppy with its use of stop motion animation, but other then that The Golden Child is still a good time, although it does have the normal amount of 80's language, so keep that in mind if showing this to your kids.
3 Beards Out Of 5
February 16, 2015
3 Beards Out Of 5
½ February 10, 2015
Probably not known as one of Eddie Murphy's best films, but it's one of mine. So hysterical. I love all the great lines in it, the goofy 80s graphics. The part with Ed McMahon cracked me up.
February 4, 2015
A solid outing from Eddie Murphy the height of his career. Not nearly as funny as Coming to America or action packed as Beverly Hills Cop, but it is an entertaining movie that provides a nice escape. If your a fan of Eddie Murphy, you'll enjoy this, but if your new to him, i wouldn't recommend starting with it.