Gôruden suranbâ (Golden Slumber) Reviews

• Oct 02, 2015

Though it's touching and carefully crafted as other Yoshihiro Nakamura's films based on Kotaro Isaka's works, I think the main actor is lacking here. We know that Aoyagi should be this nice, possible to hate person once you see him, but the all smiley face began to annoy you at some point. Even when he panicked he smiled. When he annoyed he looked like he just swallowed a whole sour lemon. Should picked better actor with some edge.

• Mar 13, 2014

Once there was a way to get back homeward Once there was a way to get back home Sleep pretty darling do not cry And I will sing a lullabye

• Dec 06, 2011

Extremely unique and highly engaging film. I enjoyed this immensely. The story flows really well, aided by relevant flashbacks and a touch of warmth and humour brings a necessary balance to an otherwise serious plot line. There are random things and characters that appear but all loose ends are tide up and the "twist" (if you can call it that) is put together really well at the end.

• Sep 04, 2011

not sure what kind of movie it wanted to be. a dark comedy or a thriller drama -_-.... it was ruined by their music choices... some music sounds funny although the scene was thrill or dramatic...

• May 23, 2011

Playful film which kept me guessing.

Playful film which kept me guessing.

• May 11, 2011

I want this on Bluray

I want this on Bluray

• Nov 14, 2010

Part political satire, part action-comedy-thriller. Golden Slumber is a smart and entertaining film about a working class guy who finds himself embroiled in a plot far bigger than himself when he becomes framed for the assassination of the Prime Minister. Having already achieved his Warhol promise, he starts out as a minor celebrity for saving the life of a famous pop star. He soon realizes that his life is about to get far more famous than he ever imagined. At the risk of sounding cliche, this is a movie that hits so right for our times; mixing a commentary on the modern day celebrity and conspiracy theory into one rollicking action-comedy. Very entertaining without pandering to the audience.

• Nov 13, 2010

Saw this film at the 2010 Toronto Reel Asian Film Festival and was quite pleased. Having enjoyed the previous outing from Nakamura, Fish Story, I wasn't sure if Golden Slumber would live up to my expectations but it easily did. Using the Beatles song Golden Slumber as inspiration (the film is adapted from the novel by Kotaro Isaka and referencing the song multiple times) this film is filled with a great message of nostalgia and wonderment all wrapped around a political thriller. Nakamura is a director I'm going to be keeping my eyes out for. This is the second film of his I've seen and both have been smart and well done. Everything in the film, no matter how small it seems, is there for a reason. Nakamura also does a good job of wrapping up the film in the end without dumbing things down and yet still holding the hand of the viewer. A skill many should learn. The film has a good amount of action but for every bit of excitement there's at least twice as much light hearted comedy. I was not expecting the level of laughs this film delivered. I highly recommend this film if you're looking for some light fun mixed in with your political thriller.

• Oct 13, 2010

It had some interesting moments, but mostly it was a sprawling mess of a movie.

It had some interesting moments, but mostly it was a sprawling mess of a movie.

• Sep 27, 2010

Amazing new Japanese film from Yoshihiro Nakamura the director of Fish Story, that seems like it could be too long but never let's up from the start point. A man is going to meet an old friend for a fishing trip that turns out to be an assassination that leaves the old friend dead and the hero looking like a terrorist. The assassination is actually a government cover up ( big surprise) and now the main character is being double-crossed and hounded by cops and other crazies that he runs into as he slowly uncovers the real powers at play here. The film has a lot of influence from Hitchcock and a lot of it's own original ideas that blend together nicely, and tying everything together with the Beatles song from the title is a great touch.