GoldenEye - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

GoldenEye Reviews

March 21, 2016
Absolutely ridiculous yet very entertaining, Goldeneye is a character-driven and action-packed Bond film. It's really good fun.
½ March 20, 2016
Very cool Bond movie! The fight scene at the end is awesome
March 13, 2016
One of the great serious Bonds, with great action that flows.
½ February 29, 2016
My favorite bond film!
February 22, 2016
Goldeneye is one of the most iconic JB movies, and definitely one of my favourites. This movie made me like Pierce Brosnan even in the following not so good movies, and it gave us the best Videogame ever!
½ February 12, 2016
I tried, I can't get with it.
½ February 9, 2016
Martin Campbell brought us Casino Royal about 10 years after this movie. Did he like tortured or something over that period of time? This Bond is pure fun. Its got the one liners, its got crazy over the top action sequences, and its got one of the most funniest villain deaths in film history! Pierce Brosnan's bond brought charm to the table not much more, I really think its the direction that made the movie great, considering Pierce lost all of his charm in the next 3 snooze fests.
½ February 8, 2016
Keeping an Eye on the Double-Oh tropes that kept Bond so endearing for over 30 years, Pierce Brosnan's debut relishes a Golden opportunity to roll the charisma of Connery, the suaveness of Moore, and the cheekiness of both into one jolly good high-tech adventure. Updating the superspy for the '90s but keeping him rascally, GoldenEye remains Brosnan's best Bond outing and one of the series' best overall. The film earns extra points for marking Judi Dench's first foray as M, beginning the tenure of one of the series best and most inspired
casting choices.

In this PG-13-rated spy thriller, James Bond (Brosnan) teams up with the lone survivor (Izabella Scorupco) of a destroyed Russian research center to stop the hijacking of a nuclear space weapon by a fellow agent (Bean) formerly believed to be dead.

Stylish and silly in one fell swoop, the film succeeds based chiefly on the winning choice of lead but the action-packed story packs a punch all of its own. Making 006 the villain makes for some ace intrigue. The casting of Bean, however, is an intriguing notion all of its own. It takes a strong actor such as this to play off of Brosnan, who makes the part his own by ironically not throwing out previous Bonds with the bath water. Firing on all cylinders with this, his very fun debut outing, it's a pity that the follow-ups lower themselves to becoming so formulaic. Still, the opening scene that finds Bong bungee-cording off of a ridiculously high dam takes a hold on your interest that rarely lets go save for a semi-climatic finale that doesn't come close to matching the gleeful thrills that result from the pre-credits sequence.

Bottom line: Remington Zeal
½ February 7, 2016
Daft, retro, shallow and wholly implausible mess in a sharp 1990s suit. The sort of film they really couldn't keep making after Austin Powers came out.

The immense potential of Sean Bean as Bond's evil twin is mostly wasted, but the film's made watchable by absolutely superb camerawork, Famke Janssen's outrageous vamping as one of the series' most watchable villainesses, and Pierce Brosnan making Bond the paragon of slickness (though he communicates entirely in one-liners).
½ February 5, 2016
A very rewatchable, fun, and surprisingly complex Bond movie.
February 4, 2016
it was mavelous,the sound track and the sound effects, not bad
½ January 13, 2016
One of the better Bond movies.
½ December 28, 2015
Although not the most exhilarating Bond movie, GoldenEye introduces the brilliant Pierce Brosnan to the role, and has some top-notch action too.
December 27, 2015
The best Bond movie their ever was.
December 20, 2015
My favourite Bond movie.
December 18, 2015
A most welcome reboot to the series, albeit one with a ludicrous and predictable plot. There are, however, some good action set pieces, notably with a Tank roaming through the streets of Moscow, to take your mind off that, and Pierce Brosnan delivers the sarcastic, cheesy, a puntastic one liners that we have come to expect from Bond, in superb fashion.
½ December 16, 2015
Brosnan's best Bond by a stretch.

The fact that this is the first post-Cold War Bond is dealt with in an interesting way, pitting Jimbo against ex-military Russian gangsters, and actually, despite his comment that he used to 'shoot in and out', having him set foot in Russia for the very first time. The themes of trust, betrayal and shifting loyalties underpin a well-written screenplay (frequent flyer jokes aside) about stolen space-based Cold War weaponry, with Bond going up against a former friend and co-00, Alec Trevelyan (spoiler, but he has second billing, so it's no great secret), who is his equal, his own dark side, in many ways. Mr Bean is on fine form as The Arch-Nemesis Formerly Known As 006, lending him a great deal of humour and menace.

Also great are (deep breath) Izabella Scorupco as geek-chic computer whiz Natalya Simonova (one of my top five Bond 'girls'), Famke Janssen as sadomasochistic, thigh-strangling, Ferrari-driving, terrible-ventilation-based-pun-spouting assassin Xenia Onatopp, Alan Cumming as Hawaiian-shirt-wearing, Spike-sending, 'invincible' hacker Boris Grishenko, Gottfried John as renegade general Arkady Orumov, Tcheky Karyo as non-renegade general Dmitri Mishkin, Robbie Coltrane as crime boss Valentin Zukovsky (less cartoony here than in The World Is Not Enough, and funnier for it), Joe Don Baker as official CIA gardening specialist Jack Wade (also less cartoony than in Tomorrow Never Dies), Michael Kitchen as the original Bill Tanner, Samantha Bond as a thoroughly '90s gives-as-good-as-she-gets Moneypenny and Judi Dench as the newly-minted Evil Queen of Numbers. Desmond Llewellyn is starting to show his age a bit at this point, but it's still fun to see grumpy old Q back.

Brosnan does fine too, of course. Since Craig took over, Pierce has actually become my least favourite Bond. That's not to say I dislike him in the role; I just like him the least overall. But I think the biggest reason for that is that he was pretty badly served by the scripts he was given. TND and DAD are among my least favourite movies in the series, and even TWINE, which gives him a few great moments, veers into Moore-ish waters at times. But GoldenEye was written for Timothy Dalton, the most serious and deep-thinking Bond, resulting in a relatively serious, deep-thinking script, and an appropriate performance by Brosnan.

Martin Campbell does a great job of bringing everything together. It looks great, it moves at a cracking pace - for the most part, it all just clicks.

The theme song is kind of a weird one. It's written by Bono and The Edge, fortunately not in the style of U2, but apparently as their take on a '60s-style Bassey number. It's sung by Tina Turner, doing her best Bassey impersonation, and it's produced by super-'90s producer Nellee Hooper, in a '90s electronic approximation of a '60s theme. The result sounds nothing like an old Bassey song, thoroughly modern from a technical perspective, but still like a throwback. But somehow, despite it going against all my criteria for a good Bond theme, and my general musical taste, I really like it.

Apart from a few dud lines, my biggest problem with this movie is the BMW Z3 showcar Bond is given. Regardless of whether it sucks for Bond to be driving a BMW in the first place (it does), my real problem is that so much reference is made to the gadgets (stinger missiles, rear parachute, etc) but none are ever used. I understand this was due to a lack of time to make any tricked-out versions of the car, but it comes off as lame. 'No, the Beamer's totally a spy car. Honest! What? Use the gadgets? Uh...is that really necessary?' Yes. You give James Bond a car with gadgets in it, he's bloody well gonna use them.

But the flaws are more than compensated for by a thrilling story, lots of superbly-staged action, humour, interesting characters and great performances all round. One of the best.
½ December 13, 2015
The first Bond movie I ever saw. I don't care what anyone says, I grew up with Brosnan as Bond and this movie is just great. As is the game based on it.
December 7, 2015
This film has grown off me a bit, but I still think Brosnan is excellent in it. He'll probably always be my favorite Bond.
December 1, 2015
This is a personal favorite. I'm bias since this is my first entry into the series, and is a childhood favorite of mine. That said, rewatching it in recent years I appreciate how Pierce had a good mixed of the campiness of the Moore, but not going too far or over the top. Then having more serious tones, and even the Goldeneye weapon seems plausible, and of course a sensible threat that wasn't too over the top. This is the best Pierce Bronson James Bond film.