GoldenEye - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

GoldenEye Reviews

½ December 16, 2015
Brosnan's best Bond by a stretch.

The fact that this is the first post-Cold War Bond is dealt with in an interesting way, pitting Jimbo against ex-military Russian gangsters, and actually, despite his comment that he used to 'shoot in and out', having him set foot in Russia for the very first time. The themes of trust, betrayal and shifting loyalties underpin a well-written screenplay (frequent flyer jokes aside) about stolen space-based Cold War weaponry, with Bond going up against a former friend and co-00, Alec Trevelyan (spoiler, but he has second billing, so it's no great secret), who is his equal, his own dark side, in many ways. Mr Bean is on fine form as The Arch-Nemesis Formerly Known As 006, lending him a great deal of humour and menace.

Also great are (deep breath) Izabella Scorupco as geek-chic computer whiz Natalya Simonova (one of my top five Bond 'girls'), Famke Janssen as sadomasochistic, thigh-strangling, Ferrari-driving, terrible-ventilation-based-pun-spouting assassin Xenia Onatopp, Alan Cumming as Hawaiian-shirt-wearing, Spike-sending, 'invincible' hacker Boris Grishenko, Gottfried John as renegade general Arkady Orumov, Tcheky Karyo as non-renegade general Dmitri Mishkin, Robbie Coltrane as crime boss Valentin Zukovsky (less cartoony here than in The World Is Not Enough, and funnier for it), Joe Don Baker as official CIA gardening specialist Jack Wade (also less cartoony than in Tomorrow Never Dies), Michael Kitchen as the original Bill Tanner, Samantha Bond as a thoroughly '90s gives-as-good-as-she-gets Moneypenny and Judi Dench as the newly-minted Evil Queen of Numbers. Desmond Llewellyn is starting to show his age a bit at this point, but it's still fun to see grumpy old Q back.

Brosnan does fine too, of course. Since Craig took over, Pierce has actually become my least favourite Bond. That's not to say I dislike him in the role; I just like him the least overall. But I think the biggest reason for that is that he was pretty badly served by the scripts he was given. TND and DAD are among my least favourite movies in the series, and even TWINE, which gives him a few great moments, veers into Moore-ish waters at times. But GoldenEye was written for Timothy Dalton, the most serious and deep-thinking Bond, resulting in a relatively serious, deep-thinking script, and an appropriate performance by Brosnan.

Martin Campbell does a great job of bringing everything together. It looks great, it moves at a cracking pace - for the most part, it all just clicks.

The theme song is kind of a weird one. It's written by Bono and The Edge, fortunately not in the style of U2, but apparently as their take on a '60s-style Bassey number. It's sung by Tina Turner, doing her best Bassey impersonation, and it's produced by super-'90s producer Nellee Hooper, in a '90s electronic approximation of a '60s theme. The result sounds nothing like an old Bassey song, thoroughly modern from a technical perspective, but still like a throwback. But somehow, despite it going against all my criteria for a good Bond theme, and my general musical taste, I really like it.

Apart from a few dud lines, my biggest problem with this movie is the BMW Z3 showcar Bond is given. Regardless of whether it sucks for Bond to be driving a BMW in the first place (it does), my real problem is that so much reference is made to the gadgets (stinger missiles, rear parachute, etc) but none are ever used. I understand this was due to a lack of time to make any tricked-out versions of the car, but it comes off as lame. 'No, the Beamer's totally a spy car. Honest! What? Use the gadgets? Uh...is that really necessary?' Yes. You give James Bond a car with gadgets in it, he's bloody well gonna use them.

But the flaws are more than compensated for by a thrilling story, lots of superbly-staged action, humour, interesting characters and great performances all round. One of the best.
½ December 13, 2015
The first Bond movie I ever saw. I don't care what anyone says, I grew up with Brosnan as Bond and this movie is just great. As is the game based on it.
December 7, 2015
This film has grown off me a bit, but I still think Brosnan is excellent in it. He'll probably always be my favorite Bond.
December 1, 2015
This is a personal favorite. I'm bias since this is my first entry into the series, and is a childhood favorite of mine. That said, rewatching it in recent years I appreciate how Pierce had a good mixed of the campiness of the Moore, but not going too far or over the top. Then having more serious tones, and even the Goldeneye weapon seems plausible, and of course a sensible threat that wasn't too over the top. This is the best Pierce Bronson James Bond film.
½ November 17, 2015
11/15/2015: Meh. It was just ok. Not near as good as the new Bind films with Craig.
½ November 16, 2015
With both humor and lethality, Brosnan, suave and handsome, gives a balanced performance in an overall modern post Cold War film. A number of the scenes in the first half of the movie (fast car, casino, etc.) feel obligatory. It's a Bond formula film which picks up during the 2nd half but it's a very well done one. The cast is very strong with characters like Natalya, Boris, Xenia, Alec, Judi Dench's M and others. Well-written dialogue, a dark unique electronic soundtrack, an epic evil lair and a strong climax make this one worth watching.
Steve Grady
½ November 14, 2015
"Goldeneye" is a great action movie. This movie has a great plot, amazing acting and incredible action scenes. Another thing that makes this movie so great is the villain. In my opinion he is one of the best bond villains. I would recommend this movie to anyone who likes action-packed "Bond Movies". I give "Goldeneye" a 9/10.
November 14, 2015
I used to absolutely LOVE this movie and played the video game like crazy. After watching it again, it does not stand the test of time. There was a LOT in this movie that was outdated and it had some old-movie-qualities. The action was still pretty good and the acting and directing was pretty good. But there was a lot of dumb stuff, and it just didn't impress me at all. this was my first time watching it in probably over ten years. I always thought the old Bond's were better than the newer Daniel Craig ones but I was completely wrong (about 5 viewings)
November 12, 2015
Shavon's Favorite (Shavon)
November 12, 2015
¢,¦,¢,¦,.,
½ November 11, 2015
Pierce Brosnan's best Bond movie, and one of the best Bond movies ever. While it doesn't quite reach the heights of Casino Royale and Skyfall, this bond movie is fast-paced, action packed, and filled with awesome moments. The plot is pretty simple, but the execution is great. Brosnan kills it as Bond, Sean Bean is great, and Famke Janssen is marvelous. The plot has more depth than most Bond movies, and the action is mindblowing. There are some story-points that don't mesh well, and it isn't anything extraordinary. However, it stands out amongst the Bond crowd. 8.75/10
½ November 11, 2015
GoldenEye is a fast paced, action packed Bond film from start to finish. Pierce Brosnan does a great job in the role and delivers a Bond that is more diverse than the last few incarnations. The film never bores, and it is partially due to the entertaining villain in Sean Bean, who is well known for his villainous characters. Bond is at his best here.
November 11, 2015
A most welcome reboot to the series, albeit one with a ludicrous and predictable plot. There are, however, some good action set pieces, notably with a Tank roaming through the streets of Moscow, to take your mind off that, and Pierce Brosnan delivers the sarcastic, cheesy, a puntastic one liners that we have come to expect from Bond, in superb fashion.
November 11, 2015
GoldenEye is... something else. From its absolutely ridiculous opening scene to its cheesy one-liners to its bizarre, 90s score built on bleeps and squelches, Brosnan's first outing as Bond is defined by its unabashed silliness while still managing to deliver compelling action sequences. The acting borders on absurdism; Famke Janssen's performance goes beyond mere scenery-chewing to become something truly baffling.

The film's strongest trait is its willingness to question the Bond mythos, placing the usually demure Bond in a tank, forcing him to acknowledge his misogynistic tendencies (Judy Dench's M will always be the best - "You're a sexist, misogynistic dinosaur") and his propensity to kill without restraint, lending weight to a franchise that's always felt pretty flimsy.

While watching this, it struck me just how incredibly unlike the rest of the series Craig's films are; while this is a step in the right direction, it doesn't ever reach those kinds of heights.
November 10, 2015
It does revitalize the franchise with great action, stylish cinematography and a well writen introduction to Pierce Brosnan as the new Bond.
November 8, 2015
A fun, suspenseful, and incredible action film.
November 6, 2015
Hotblooded and evolved to it's time,Goldeneye is a strong Bond movie that's slicker and ready for action. As Pierce Brosnan fills the shoes with a sexier yet the traditional Bond we know.
We can also thank this movie for giving us the classic Nintendo 64 game that ranks as of the best licensed games.
½ November 6, 2015
One of the very best Bond films? though like all Bond films the style and banter dates quickly. Brosnan didn't ever manage another one this good. Incredible support performances by Famke Janssen, Robbie Coltrane, Desmond Llewellyn, Alan Cumming and Sean Bean.
An insanely dumb premise, but do much fun. Bond does a chase scene in a tank, in the middle of Moscow. Sensational.
November 4, 2015
Goldeneye brings Pierce Brosnan in his first outing as James Bond and delivers one of the best action movies of the 90's
November 3, 2015
Definitely Brosnans best work as Bond, breathing new life into the character amidst the changing of times. An action packed ride that gave Bond a furthered life span in cinema...