Gong woo ching (Rich and Famous) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gong woo ching (Rich and Famous) Reviews

½ May 25, 2016
Those things in the 1980s.
November 9, 2012
Yun-Fat does a sweet drive-by rescue in a van. Lau, in an early role, shows why he got so famous. The story and directing are fairly typical, but it's worth watching for the sweet finale. Decent bit of crime, easy to see why they made Tragic Hero to follow this.
½ January 9, 2011
Jealousy prevails. Andy Lau shines in this film. Good story.
October 23, 2009
Again, bored with abuse of violence in the picture. Alex Man character could be better villain, but it's so simplified and shallow. It's waste of great actor. Alan Tam character, too. Indeed, a movie that does not describe characters well is really boring.
February 28, 2009
A typical film in the "heroic bloodshed" and gunplay genre in Hong Kong, 'Rich and Famous' is one of the myriad of films with Chow Yun Fat as a triad figure of some sort in his post-'A Better Tomorrow' career boost. It is also one of many movies in which he co-stars with the great Andy Lau (God of Gamblers, Infernal Affairs). Alan Tam (pop star and Armor of God alumnus) plays Lau's sneezy, annoying cousin; heck, even crazy Danny "I believe I'm a cop in real life" Lee drops in for a performance as- you guessed it- a frazzled police officer for a couple of scenes. Despite the DVD cover, this movie is actually about two brothers who are swept into the world of the Triads in 1960s Hong Kong, and then betrayal and a kind of Cain-Abel rivalry develops. I thought this was an okay movie: I've seen worse HK fare, and I've seen far better; Rich and Famous is kind of like watching a Valerie Bertanelli Lifetime movie- you know how things are going to work out and the basic plot. Such is this movie to the Triad-Heroic Bloodshed genre. This is definitely not John Woo action, it's very character-driven and aspires to tell an epic story that spans a decade in less than 1 &1/2 hours. An aspiration at which it unfortunately fails. There was a little to chuckle at in here: the saving the puppy in slow-mo in the rain scene by Chow and his girlfriend was a nice touch; Tam and Lau on the scooter was priceless too. Things start to really unravel film-wise towards the end, there's all sorts of crap: betrayal, weddings, Tam hitting people with metal, and scooter shoot-outs. Being a HK flick, I forgave this silliness, as these movies are often notoriously uneven, both genre-wise and in tone. It's a product of its time- 1980s HK, when everybody wanted to be a cool triad shooting guns in slow mo-, and pedestrian stuff, but Chow always looks sweet holding a gun, does he not?
February 28, 2009
A typical film in the "heroic bloodshed" and gunplay genre in Hong Kong, 'Rich and Famous' is one of the myriad of films with Chow Yun Fat as a triad figure of some sort in his post-'A Better Tomorrow' career boost. It is also one of many movies in which he co-stars with the great Andy Lau (God of Gamblers, Infernal Affairs). Alan Tam (pop star and Armor of God alumnus) plays Lau's cousin; heck, even crazy Danny "I believe I'm a cop in real life" Lee drops in for a performance as- you guessed it- a frazzled police officer for a couple of scenes. Despite the DVD cover, this movie is actually about two brothers who are swept into the world of the Triads in 1960s Hong Kong, and then betrayal and a kind of Cain-Abel rivalry develops. I thought this was an okay movie: I've seen worse HK fare, and I've seen far better; Rich and Famous is kind of like watching a Valerie Bertanelli Lifetime movie- you know how things are going to work out and the basic plot. Such is this movie to the Triad-Heroic Bloodshed genre. This is definitely not John Woo action, it's very character-driven and aspires to tell an epic story that spans a decade in less than 1 &1/2 hours. An aspiration at which it unfortunately fails. There was a little to chuckle at in here: the saving the puppy in slow-mo in the rain scene by Chow and his girlfriend was a nice touch; Tam and Lau on the scooter was priceless too. Things start to really unravel film-wise towards the end, there's all sorts of crap: betrayal, weddings, Tam hitting people with metal, and scooter shoot-outs. Being a HK flick, I forgave this silliness, as these movies are often notoriously uneven, both genre-wise and in tone. It's a product of its time- 1980s HK, when everybody wanted to be a cool triad shooting guns in slow mo-, and pedestrian stuff, not raising the bar in any sense; but Chow always looks sweet shooting a gun, does he not?
October 19, 2008
Not even the handsome duo of Chow Yun Fat and Andy Lau can make this first installment of Taylor Wongs gangster epos fly properly. Sloppy direction all over, but most obviously in the action sequences. And these triads seem too fucking romantic to me, taking care of homeless puppies and nursing them back to health and stuff. Wong would do better in Triads: The Inside Story only a few years later.
July 22, 2008
together with "Tragic Hero" is the greatest action film ever
July 19, 2008
Action pack violent movie. Andy Lau, Chow Yu-Fat and Alex Man makes up a good cast. Alex Man as usual the ultimate baddie, really good.
½ June 26, 2008
On par with the first film.
December 27, 2007
One of good movies from Chow Yun Fat. If you like him, should watch it. Good cast, good storyline.
½ November 20, 2007
"Rich and Famous" is a film that is most definitely trying to emulate the classic Godfather films. The film focuses on both family, crime, loyalty, and revenge; themes Godfather explored to a greater, and better, degree. Also like the Godfather, this was a two-part series (at the time it was made, rather). However, this film comes nowhere near the level of those classic films and actually doesn't even rise above the status of average.

One reason is the acting. With the exception of Chow Yun Fat, who exudes a high level of charisma, the acting is generally over the top and unbelievable. The audience tends to find the proceedings humorous simply because the actors' inability to maintain any degree of seriousness. As a result, we find the film not truly emotionally involving or intense since we don't particularly care what occurs with these characters.

Another reason is the film's lack of focus. The narrative tries to incorporate many different story elements into the film, but this results in portions of the movie becoming underdeveloped as well as lacking any real sense of coherency. The audience sometimes becomes lost at the proceedings we are viewing, not knowing what are character's motivations are. We also get confused in which characters are whom since the narrative readily shifts focus between characters at a rapid rate.

The film's climax does contain a decent gun fight and is probably the highlight of the film. The movie tries to create an dramatic set piece with it taking place on grand steps of a church, but again since we don't care about the characters, we don't care about what happens; The scene loses it's intensity and suspense because of this. The other action set pieces are rather mundane in nature, with a feeling of it being too controlled rather than free flowing.

In general, this is a strictly average film and isn't recommended to the general film viewer... Only hard core genre enthusiasts and fans of Chow Yun Fat should consider this film for viewing.
½ November 7, 2007
I suppose you've got to love the genre. I do. I also admire Chow Yun Fat so I'm happy with this one, eventhough I've seen him in better films.
½ August 7, 2007
If you have seen a triad movie or two in your lifetime, then Rich and Famous may not offer you much that you have not seen before. It may not be the best in its genre, but it still manages to get the job done fairly well. It has a pretty straight forward plot, with pretty predictable plot turns here and their. But what it does not have, that most other gun shooting? Chow Yun fat action flicks do . . .is a gun shooting Chow Yun Fat! Well that is not all together so. Yes, Chow does manage to get a few shots off here and their. But be warned Chow Yun Fat action fans, this is no ?Hard Boiled? or ?A Better Tomorrow?. He is still indeed an important character, but he does not carry the film on his back like he has in previous outings. No, this time the weight is being shared by Andy Lau and Alex Man. Both actors were fantastic, especially Man who showed great character development throughout the course of the film. In addition, we get treated to a small but rewarding appearance from Danny Lee as the grumpy cop trying to take Chai down.

Getting back to the action. There are gun fights, there are car chases, there are some kicks and punches(and cutting and stabbing). But in the end, you realize this is much more a drama then the action film its been labeled as. It is really the drama, and the story, that carries the film. The action only comes in when its needed to compliment the plot. But if you watch this film anticipating the 25 minute gun blazing shootout, when the credits roll do not think you missed it, because it wasn?t their.

Rich and Famous does not completely wrap up at the end, this is because it?s the first have of a two part series, the second being Tragic Hero. So there are many things left unresolved. Don?t worry though, there is enough or a wrap up at the end that is does completely itself as a stand along film. But if you want the whole story, you must seek out Tragic hero.
August 7, 2007
August 3, 2007
Fans of HK crime drama may be tempted to see this because of the big name partnership of Chow Yun Fat and Andy Lau, but despite their star presence, this is a very lacklustre affair. Other than the inclusion of some nice locations, the direction is flat and lifeless; the rare action scenes lack style and are unexciting and the plot is hackneyed and sentimental-the scene where Chow Yun Fat and his girlfriend start nursing an injured puppy is one of the most laughable I've ever seen! But by far the biggest handicap for a non-cantonese speaker were the appalling subtitles. I needed a translator for the translations...
garyX
August 3, 2007
June 14, 2007
Chow and Andy Lau in a straightforward triad story that just works.
½ May 18, 2007
Don't be fooled by Tai Seng. They're crapolaness.