Gooby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gooby Reviews

½ July 14, 2016
Not a superhero to save the world, just a mischievous toyfriend.

The outcome was as expected, so I haven't disappointed with it. But sparing time for it was the big decision I had made, knowing a film not for my age. Without a single bit of graphics they have managed it well to tell a story. The production was decent, but the story was too predictable with a below average jokes. I just wanted to clear the air that I was not bored of it, simply not my type of entertainment film, that's all.

Perhaps the adult comedy, 'Ted' might have inspired by this, except it is a children's film. The actors were decent, because they did not get a challenging role. With a giant Ted in the title role, it should have been an adventure film. He's here to help the kid and I think his character did nothing big achievement rather boring writing of his character.

Everyone knows that's a man was inside the fur, so the stunts would have not cost too much if they had used a stunt artist. Because adding a couple of those scenes would have given a reason for the audience to cheer. The end was a loop, they kept it that way, in case of a sequel planned in the future. But I hope they won't make it, unless a very adventurous. Not recommended unless you plan to show it for your kids.

3/10
July 11, 2015
My biggest disappointment? It wasn't even half as bad as I hope it would be. Still pretty crap though.
April 13, 2015
No stars. This is what Eugene Levy, second only to John Candy in the "Funniest Man to come from 'SCTV'" category, is reduced to. Sad. Just sad. And good God almighty is that bear creepy. And why is this structured so much like a horror film? Don't let the kids see this, it will give them nightmares.
½ July 4, 2013
I just watch this movie just to make fun of it. It's TERRIBLE!! And Gooby for children is probably terrifying. Bad acting and just blatantly bad
March 27, 2013
"Gooby" is meant for little children and they might enjoy it, but anyone else will get a real creepy feeling out of watching this movie. The story isn't particularly interesting and doesn't try to be original. The main character "Willy" has few/no friends and feels like an outcast when he moves into a new home/school. He meets a magical new friend (that he must hide from his parents for comedic purposes) and together they learn to overcome their fears, try new things and he learns how to make real friends. Sound familiar? You also get the generic bully that's inserted to show how "Willy" has trouble at school and a goofy authority figure that is trying to snap pictures of "Gooby" to make quick buck. If you were wondering, yes both parents are working jobs that keep them way too busy to pay any attention to their son (of course).

If the predictability was he only thing that was wrong with the movie, it would still be passable but the movie has many moments that end up feeling incredibly creepy. The first simply being "Gooby's" design. To make a creature sympathetic and cute-looking, you need to give it large eyes, not tiny beady ones that don't move and you need to make it seem vulnerable, not towering over it's child friend. It doesn't help that "Gooby" is given a few questionable moments and lines in the film that cement this into "unsettling" territory. At one point in the film the bear comments on how it was fun pretending to be "Willy's" father (right after getting him and his friends into an R-Rated movie) and there's a scene where "Gooby" drags "Willy" out of bed in the middle of the night to "show him something important" that just screams awkward.

Many plot points in the film don't make a lot of sense. For example, why is "Willy" being hidden from the parents? He's clearly real, eats a ridiculous amount of cookies and is so big that you might as well just tell them what's going on. Some elements are quickly and awkwardly introduced but then immediately forgotten, like "Mr. Nerdlinger", who appears in only a few scenes, is introduced as a new teacher (a few months after Willy moves into a new school, so we get two teacher introductions) and tries to get pictures of "Gooby", but only a few times and never really in a malicious way so he doesn't really feel like a villain. There are also some basic film making mistakes that make the movie look really amateur (a scene where we can hear thunder but can also catch a glimpse of the sunny weather through a window for example). The movie becomes tedious and pretty boring at times and it's so paint by numbers that there's just nothing here that really stands out except for the mistakes and missteps. "Gooby" isn't quality entertainment for adults and it meets the bare minimum for children so there's no reason to recommend it. (Dvd, March 22, 2013)
½ December 31, 2012
Wow what can you say about Gooby. If this had been released in like 1993 or even up to 1996 I would give it a little more credit but the fact that it was released in 2009 is just horrible. The costume is just horrible and creepy to be completely honest. Also a lot of what Gooby says is creepy, it borders on nice family comedy and possible molestation half of the time. The soundtrack doesn't help either taking songs that should be in a romantic comedy not a kids movie. Overall this is a movie you sit down with a group of friends and just make fun of not a movie you show to your kids. I guess unless your kids have been bad then this might make a good punishment.
½ August 22, 2012
Gooby is a confused film that's too crass it's not approperiate for youngsters and too bizare adults will be asking themselves if the jokes on them?
Disney's Toy Story maybe for everyones enjoyment but it's accomplishment came with a large obstacle of finding that middle ground so everyone could enjoy it's entertainment.
July 22, 2012
Dolan brought you here didn't it
May 20, 2012
This should be, by all accounts, a horror movie. It is instead a Canadian family comedy. So, you know, same difference. Just flat out brutal SKIP IT!!!
May 19, 2012
Best movie ever made.
½ April 25, 2012
Alright, here's a weird one. Gooby is a family film about Willy, an 11 year old boy who has difficulty connecting with the world. He can't make friends and is terrified of change. When his parents buy a new house he is overcome with fear of what lies ahead and with an overactive imagination he conjures up a giant teddy bear to help him through it. The bear is Gooby (he hates his name because it sounds like snot) who becomes a parental/big brother figure for Willy. This is a strange movie which has trouble deciding what it wants to be. The interaction between Gooby and Willy is great and there's actually a touching story at the centre of the movie, however, the other portions are hokey and stupid. Eugene Levy offers a hinderance with a farcical character who brings the whole thing down a few levels. The other thing that confused me was that Gooby is (presumedly) supposed to be imaginary and yet other people see him at certain times.... anyway its a movie for kids which might actually reach some of it's more introverted viewers. Robbie Coltrane voices Gooby and adds sincerity and warmth.
November 26, 2011
Someone remake this. It's a neat idea just needs a redo
½ July 23, 2011
July 8, 2011
This movie is awful.
July 1, 2011
a horror movie that is, instead, a canadian family film. THE STORY DOES NOT MAKE SENSE AND GIVES ME NIGHTMARES! It makes Justin Bieber seem like a Godsend. Help us TGWTG, you're our only hope!
June 7, 2011
Cinematic Genius. Truly an incomparable film that you have to see to believe.
May 30, 2011
While this may not be the next E.T, I still think it looks nice even though the trailer doesn't look like much.

It seems innocent enough and the story is very nice, and since Eugene Levy is in it I can't complain.
½ March 23, 2011