Good Against Evil - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Good Against Evil Reviews

½ April 13, 2016
Though it's a poor-boy's amalgam of several top-tier satanic horror films from the genre's heyday of the 1970's, I quite enjoyed this TV-movie, which was a failed pilot, for a proposed series that never came (the type of thing that Mia Wallace bragged that she had previously starred in to Vincent Vega in 'Pulp Fiction'). Philadelphian-born director Wendkos made only a handful of feature films from 1957-99, and 'Good Against Evil' has the workmanlike, low-budget yet professional, sheen that comes with the territory.

The first half is a cross between 'Rosemary's Baby' and 'The Omen' series, with the difference that a female ('Jessica Gordon') is born, and it cuts from her 1955 birth in New York City to young adulthood in 1977 San Francisco. Another neat difference is that until now, she has been kept completely in the dark of her evil origins, and simply thinks that she has been 'lucky' and has had a 'guardian angel', though she notices that any man that gets close to her perishes in strange fashion, and comes to the distinct conclusion that it's no mere coincidence. Finally, she falls in love (with 'Andy Stuart'), and her birth father, Mr. Rimmin's plans of becoming immortalized through offering his daughter to the demon Astaroth are thus jeopardized. He has to interfere, and just before the two young lovebirds are to be married, he hypnotizes Jessica to forget everything and move to New Orleans, where she can be 'protected' once more. Not wanting to draw more attention by killing yet again, the 'tribe' decides that rather than murder Andy, to simply have him fall in love again with his ex-flame, Linday, staging an accident that puts her daughter into a coma, and possessing her in the process.

Thus, the second half, which becomes a poor-man's version of 'The Exorcist'. Though the special effects are minor and laughable with the budgetary constraints, Wendkos does a decent job and the performances are fine. The ending is a bit over-the-top, though I enjoy those ambiguous yet doom-laden endings, by which you don't know what's about to happen, but you just know there's going to be trouble (like the finish in William Friedkin's 'Sorcerer', for example). Personally, I would have been more understated in my approach, simply showing the black cat was on the park bench, and not doing a close-up of its eyes. Plus, I did feel a bit cheated--Wendkos had done a good job of character development and making us care for what happened to the good people in the film, who were all in way over their heads--I wanted to know what happened to these people. So on the one hand, I can see why the pilot was unsuccessful, but I wish that at least a Part Two had been made.

All things considered, if you enjoy satanic horror movies from the 70's as much as I do, it's well worth a look.
June 22, 2015
lame 'the exorcist' rip-off
September 10, 2013
A total laughable 70's ripoff of every supernatural movie that was out at that point. This was really intended as a pilot for a tv series that never took off. It's sorta ok in a cheesy shit way but in the end just isn't worth the time.
May 20, 2013
It's slow, confusing, and mostly just a cash-in on The Exorcist. Of course, that does mean it has a fun exorcism scene, but that's pretty much all that the film has going for it. The characters aren't very good, and the general plot is weak. Still, it's not all a bad watch.
½ October 16, 2009
If the ending wasn't a clue, the rest of the movie would leave you with no doubt that this was actually a pilot for a television show.

For the 1970's this wasn't a bad piece of work... but not something that would become a lasting classic. There are too many similarites to "The Excorcist," and "Rosemary's Baby" to provide something new to watch.

Besides, there's only so long you can have a guy and an excoricist travelling around looking for the guy's missing, soon-to-be-the-bride-of-Satan-girlfriend.

Though, I will say, I did have to smile at how casually and nonchalantly the excorcist dodged an Azeroth tossed lamp to the head... though he lost that credibility shortly afterward with the quite literal pillow fight.
½ May 30, 2009
This is more like a TV Movie then anything else. My guess a take off of Rosemary?s Baby and The Exorcist. The last 20 minutes of the Movie we see a priest come in to drive the evil sprit?s out of a little girl. From the start Jessica who is played by Elyssa Davalos is raised and protected by a satanic cult. Every one that gets involved with Jessica in a romantic way seems to die, and along comes Andy played by Dack Rambo, who gives stalking a new meaning. He finds our young ladies phone number and address in first 20 minutes. So who wins in this movie good or evil. You will have to suffer like I did and watch the movie.
August 20, 2008
alright...what in the world did i just watch? it seemed like it'd be an alright had a good concept....and then the exorcism stuff starts....and then.......credits. i want to give the director an atomic wedgie for that ruins the rest of the film.
½ May 12, 2008
It's like Rosemary's Baby had a high-speed fender bender with The Exorcist, which was hauling The Omen in a trailer behind it. And then Kim Cattrall drove by and couldn't look away from the carnage.
April 13, 2008
3.5/10. Uninteresting 1970's television made film. Cheesy production, certainly not very suspenseful. Interesting for an early appearance by Kim Catrall. It seems hastily put together and directed. Silly Exorcist ripoff.
½ March 22, 2008
It's unfortunate that someone decided to make this shitty movie. It's even more unfortunate that it just randomly ends with no closure.
½ March 22, 2008
Guy on set: "Say Paul, how are we gonna incorporate the first half of the movie into the end? The way it ends now makes the first half irrelevant."

Director: "Um..we could....fuck it, just end the movie here".
February 27, 2008
this movie was bad but in a really cool way
February 21, 2008