The Good Father - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Good Father Reviews

Harlequin68
½ July 15, 2015
In "The Good Father," Bill(Anthony Hopkins) would really like to spend more time with his son, even after his divorce, but his lack of lodging(he actually sleeps a lot of the time at his office) makes that kind of hard for Emmy(Harriet Walter), his ex-wife, to sympathize. So, instead of looking for an apartment, he takes up the case of his new friend Roger(Jim Broadbent) and his currently dormant custody battle.

"The Good Father" is a damning and pointed look at masculinity run amok in Thatcherite England which was also a low point for the gay rights movement. Even though one might hope that some of the attitudes in the movie are dated, sadly that is not the case with so-called men's rights activists currently making the same kind of mess that Bill does in the film. And as Bill, Anthony Hopkins gives one of his best performances that is alternately angry, charming, creepy and somehow sympathetic. Plus, Simon Callow is having too much fun playing a lawyer.
November 20, 2012
The best Anthony Hopkins performance you've never heard of. Terrific character drama.
July 3, 2011
Mostly unpleasant to watch, but well acted. Good use of political backdrop to add a layers to the narrative. Cheesy music. Overwrought use of metaphor.

**SPOILER ALERT**
Here's my summary of the movie: Man and woman don't really want to have a child, but they wind up doing so anyway, and it destroys their marriage. Man is so full of anger and resentment about this he channels his anger by "helping" his friend by using anti-gay tactics to blow up what was previously an amicable divorce. Friend comes to his senses, man realizes he's still a miserable sack of shit after all is said and done.
April 9, 2011
I really liked this film, we always see separation or divorce or the pain of loss of a child from the female's point of view, this one is told from the father. Anthony Hopkins is excellent in this film.
May 25, 2010
l love this movie so much
½ April 2, 2009
A rather riveting portrayal of a surrendered marriage and the fallout from separation -- from the male perspective.
½ March 27, 2009
Bill is a man who's very bitter about his divorce and losing custody of his son. So, when one of his friends is being sued for divorce by hiw wife so that she can enter a lesbian relationship, Bill decides to help his friend gain custody of his son...in any way that they can devise, including using a sleazeball lawyer. But while Bill feels that Feminism has robbed him of his family, he begins to be appalled at what he and Roger have done.
September 25, 2008
Very strange, but affecting little film about a divorced father quietly exacting revenge on the world by helping his friend get sole custody of his son. Depressing, brooding, and sometimes bewildering (especially the little "dream sequences"), but Anthony Hopkins does give another strong performance. As a new dad, this movie did make me a bit emotional.
April 1, 2008
I love this film. As you can see from the rating. It captures the time perfectly, aside from the narrative content. Impeccable performances throughout - a real edge to Hopkins at that time. I saw this at least a couple of times at the Phoenix (once when they showed the reels in the wrong order!) and would love to see it again.
February 29, 2008
A bitter, divorced man who lost custody of his son helps a friend help him get his son back.

Watchable TV movie with interesting themes that takes a different approach. Good to see Jopkins play someone normal, and not larger than life. Even at 85mins, the plot is spread really thin and becomes dramatically uneven at times.
February 11, 2008
c'est sortit en 85 mais pas 87. le jeux vidéo il est terrible
½ January 3, 2008
esse filme ninguém precisa dizer nada... é um clássico :)
November 10, 2007
Always wondered what guys saw in this movie. I found a new appreciation for it recently. Still not hip to the gangster parts but it's connectivity to Life fasen
November 5, 2007
The closest version to my childhood in a movie. But told from the father's, not mother's point of view.
September 14, 2007
The best Maffia movie - ever!
September 3, 2007
reallllllllllllllly
u should see this movie
August 27, 2007
UNA PINCHE OBRA MAESTRA!!!
June 13, 2007
This was actually filmed in my block of flats years ago, before Hopkins did the likes of Silence of the lambs!
March 8, 2007
a good familiar movie
February 11, 2007
Ooooh Tony and Jim, directed by Mike Newell, I want!