Good Hair - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Good Hair Reviews

January 5, 2014
Fascinating and amusing whilst bringing some unwelcome home truths.
December 22, 2013
A humorous look at the complex relationship between African-American women and their hair.
November 27, 2013
Poor editing choices make it feel less important than it really is. In trying to be more of a comedy than anything else, it detracts from the small amount of poignancy that is there.
November 19, 2013
I found it interesting and informative. Some Of My Whitey curiosities answered.
October 27, 2013
Scattered as it sometimes seems, Good Hair is a real eye-opener...
August 15, 2013
Interesting movie. Not very funny.
cosmo313
½ July 31, 2013
Recommended by a good friend, this is an insightful, amusing, and rather fascinating documentary about the world of hair, specifically the hair of black women, and its important role in African American culture.

Presented and narrated by comedian/actor Chris Rock, who decided to do this documentary after his young daughter asked him, "Why din't I have good hair?", Rock interviews a number of celebrities, business owners, and casual people as he tries to figure out the obsession with hair culture.

It is amusing, but there are some serious undertones, specifically the incredibly dangerous effects of using various chemicals, specifically relaxer to give someone straight hair.

There is some deeper subtext buried within the proceedings, but the film and Rock himself oddly shy away from asking the really important, but tough questions that really get to the hair of the issue, namely exactly why it is so important for black women to have 'white' hair.

That's what keeps the film from being really great. It is a good intro to the subject, and it covers a lot of bases, but it really doesn't scratch the surface, and also neglects to look at parts of history that could have really given a lot more insight as well as answers. I personally want to know how Civil Rights and Black Power affected the hair issue, and see the development of why it evolved away from that.

I'm okay with levity, but I think the film took too much of a diversion by putting a lot of focus on the ridiculously absurd hair competition, and not enough focus on the darker side of things. I mean yeah, the competition still reveals how big of an economic impact black hair makes on the hair care industry, but still, it gets pretty absurd.

Overall though, I did like this. It is a very fascinating topic, and, despite the film's faults, I do think you should give it a watch. Rock does a decent job and tackling a rather tricky issue. I think Spike Lee could have given it the kind of treatment I was expecting, but then again, he may have taken it a bit too far for my liking in that direction as well. Anyways, give it a look. It's pretty decent.
½ July 7, 2013
Learned a lot. The chicken and the pop cans were quite eye opening.
June 29, 2013
Insightful and funny documentary.
½ April 20, 2013
It was very interesting .
½ April 6, 2013
I expected a funny move with Chris Rock, but instead I got a documentary about African American hair.
March 31, 2013
Very funny and surprisingly interesting documentary. Chris Rock is great, and the celebrity interviews were a great touch to the film.

Go see it.
March 25, 2013
It's good to know that documentary doesn't have to be too serious... at least on the surface.
March 6, 2013
more insightful than I was expecting...(and yes I am "just" watching this...)
½ March 3, 2013
Surprisingly fascinating given the subject matter.
February 27, 2013
A decent documentary into a subject that not many would think about.
January 28, 2013
I enjoyed the comedy as well as the substance of this documentary. Good Hair points out how our own negative self-image and standards of beauty for women can affect very young girls and lead to encouraging use of potentially dangerous products in order to be more "beautiful".
January 26, 2013
At once loving, entertaining and devastating -- a must-see.
December 14, 2012
It deals with a relatively trivial subject compared to other documentaries but manages to be informative and insightful nevertheless.
November 18, 2012
Interesting doc about society's disdain for African American hair..worth watching if only to hear Rev. Al Sharpton go off about hair weaves: "Comb that exploitation! Attach it to the back of your head!"