Good Morning (Ohay˘) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Good Morning (Ohay˘) Reviews

September 26, 2016
LOVELY! It is often said that this film is different from other Ozu films mainly because the story is told through children's views, but I don't agree with that. Ozu's viewpoint never moves around - it's always like a "God's view," and it's same in this piece. It's true that the more focus is on children characters than in other works of his, and it works very well to somehow reveals both virtue and ugliness of being adults. Ozu's talent to direct a comedy is in full bloom in this film, and every scene in the film is lovely.
½ June 26, 2016
A cute and unusual comedy. Quite odd with the pumice stone and burdock eating though.
June 12, 2016
I really enjoyed this film from Yasujiro Ozu. It is a lot funnier than any of his other film that I had seen, and found it a really nice, easy and fun watch. It tell a small story of 2 boys who take a vow of silence after being scolded by their parents, and also because they want a TV. It's a an interesting look at family life in suburban Tokyo, and also an examination of the importance of communication. Highly recommended!
½ February 23, 2016
This is a great delight! It's not overly ambitious as a piece of cinema, and yet everything is done very well. Jacques Tati In Japan - full of whimsy and fun, while also poking gentle fun at societal mores. Ozu also takes delight in children, as does Tati, as people who can show up adult pretensions and silly complexities.
July 19, 2015
The only other Ozu film I've seen was released in the same year as this charming comedy- Floating Weeds. I actually found it rather weak and myself unattached to the characters. The experience for Good Morning was the opposite. One of the most soothing film viewings I could ask for. From the start I became completely absorbed in this world of a middle class Japanese suburb. Nothing dramatic happens, no turning points, just the simple life of a handful of families. And I couldn't ask for anything else. Many characters I would often find annoying didn't bother me here, and in fact I liked all of them. The whiny children, the gossipy neighbors, these are usually qualities that make a character a nuisance. In Good Morning I loved all the characters. Especially the grandmother, who was an absolute badass.

Despite being an immature comedy with most the humor based off farts- which was rather funny- Ozu creates an important simple statement on communications and understanding. There's nothing to profound in what is being said but it's simply humanist and adds a great charm to this film. The film has a perfect balance between showing the trivial conflicts of the children and of the adults. Despite it being clear that the characters have greater problems in their lives Ozu points the camera at two petty ones. Simple, calming, absorbing, meaningful, and beautiful. A truly great film.
½ December 11, 2014
November 17, 2014
Mesmerised & Speechless!
November 15, 2014
Muy entretenida.
??????????
November 15, 2014
Really slow paced even for such a short movie it takes 40 minutes to get the plot moving forward. Though at moments cute and I do like the Japanese culture in it, its still way too slow..
November 2, 2014
Nothing much happen but its entertaining all the same.
½ October 28, 2014
A great little Japanese film about two rather disobedient boys that desire a TV & their parents won't agree.

The decide to begin a pact of silence until they get their TV & that lands them in some difficult situations. It's a light film that travels slowly but everyone in the film is so interesting to watch.

The two young boys are particularly great in the roles & the film just grows on you...it's directed by the Japanese master Yashiro Ozu who directed Tokyo Story ten years earlier.
March 9, 2014
I enjoyed this film much more than I thought. The story seems very simple, kids want a TV. But it is much more than that, it is about modern technology entering Japan and individual's reactions. Also a difference between traditional Japan and the Westernization of Japan. A really good film, it is actually a remake of Ozu's I was Burn, But... from 1932.
March 13, 2013
Often charming look at Japanese family life in the late 1950s.
½ February 7, 2013
This is my third Ozu film I have seen, and I can say I have never been more surprised to see fart jokes in a movie (I mean, it is Ozu!). Good movie, but not his best.
January 25, 2013
A lighthearted comedy that shouldn't be ignored.
October 5, 2012
Ozu's style just doesn't work for comedy - interesting but ultimately limp and contrived.
½ October 1, 2012
Exquisitely framed, as all Ozu pictures are, and a wonderful sense of familial relations and the melodrama of gossipy women. The film contains many entertaining and amusing pieces, even though it's basically a soap opera, albeit one with Japanese concern and customs. Not one of his masterpieces, but fun to watch.
½ September 12, 2012
A very fine reworking of my favorite Ozu (I Was Born, But...), this movie brings modernity to the forefront. Extremely sweet, quite funny, and just a pleasant good time about two boys trying to get a TV. Also definitely the most fart-centric in the Ozu oeuvre!
August 3, 2012
Surprisingly sweet as well as potent, this film about two boys who go silent until their parents by them a TV in the late 50s Japan sports wonderful performances by all around (especially the mother), and a spot on showcase of our abuse and misuse of communication as well as societies fear and judgement of each other. Very well made, paced just right, and able to have great message with a G rating.
April 17, 2012
It's Ozu in Technicolor. What's not to love?