Good Neighbors - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Good Neighbors Reviews

½ June 14, 2013
Even though it was uneven, I enjoyed it. Reminded me of a Hitchcock movie, kinda.
½ June 13, 2013
Good as far as it went, but I figured it out to easily. I would have added another little twist at the end, which could have fit quite nicely.
June 13, 2013
Working from a 1982 novel set in Quebec City, director-writer Jacob Tierney provides enough thrills and surprises, even a little satire, to keep viewers' attention.
January 24, 2013
Horrible. The lead actress is horrible. The story is horrible. Just Horrible. This had potential to be good but fails big time.
½ January 13, 2013
no words for this one. none. Oh, someone dies at the end...
½ December 28, 2012
On several movie site I visit, there had been a buzz about an independent Canadian murder mystery film, that was supposed to be quite a thriller with big twist at the end. It sounded like the perfect movie for me and I couldn't wait to see it! Good Neighbors is about an apartment building in Canada that is getting a new tenant named Victor (Jay Baruchel). Victor immediately sees that something isn't right about the new place and soon learns that everyone is on edge because of a serial killer on the loose. A serial killer that I was able to identify ten minutes into the movie. How in the world can anyone, much less a movie fan, call this a thriller with a twist in the end? The killer was obvious from the very beginning and I'm willing to bet the average fourth grader would agree. As for the notion that this is a thriller? Come on, a thriller is supposed to have you on the edge of your seat, not falling asleep in it! The story was slow, sloppy, and predictable, but what about the acting. I generally like Jay Baruchel, but he is a mess in this film. Baruchel is way out of his element here and would probably do best sticking to Apatow comedies. The only bright spot in the film is Emily Hampshire, she's been around a while, but has never been in anything big. Hampshire was terrific and is really the only interesting character in this film. Good Neighbors is a huge disappointment and anyone who tells you otherwise can't be as big a movie fan as they proclaim to be. I can deal with slow moving, I can live with some boring parts here and there, but a painfully predictable story with very below average performances is a recipe for disaster.
December 9, 2012
a crap ending. boring through. could have been better. Victor is an annoying character through the film. I hope the dead one in the end is him.
November 23, 2012
This is a bad movie. While the idea for the story could work, the movie is plagued by identity problems from the beginning. The movie tries to blend some humor while trying to be suspenseful and everything just falls flat. The acting isn't that great either but it isn't terrible. Definitely not worth the rent.
½ November 22, 2012
it is dark, intense and twisted.
½ November 10, 2012
Very strange film. Story is kind of all over the place. Good acting but I was a little lost with the ending. Netflix instant watch.
October 11, 2012
As Rex Reed of the NY Observer indicated: "Good Neighbors is a hotbed of twisted ideas with a straightforward yet novel approach to the Gothic horror in the hearts of mistakenly everyday people." Its one of those dark stories yet I felt so cozy at home watching it. I only had issues with one shocking scene involving the killing of a woman- HARD to stomach but its not gruesome, just shocking especially when you see who is committing the murder. Anyways I don't want to disclose too much because this interesting film is worth watching. The plot revolves around two Montreal Canada neighbors Spencer (Scott Speedman so cute) and Louise (Emily Hampshire) that have come closer over their interest with a string of rapes/murders committed around their vicinity. A new tenant comes into the picture named Victor (Jay Baruchel) and they become friends. As the film unfolds the viewer will discover that each one of these characters has some dark secrets that they don't want exposed. Think of this as a good murder mystery - what is most scary is that it can happen to anyone! Recommended as you drink some chai tea latte and relax in the evening.
½ October 10, 2012
Lots of original and suspenseful setups. Each time a let down. Could have been much better. Weirdly French Canadian to the point of seeming European.
October 9, 2012
There are a number of boring moments, and quite a few annoying moments thanks to Jay Baruchel's insufferable character, but the fantastic moments mostly balance those out. Twisted and subtly darkly humorous, Good Neighbors is a uniquely entertaining film.
½ October 2, 2012
all over the place thriller...with not many thrills.
½ September 27, 2012
Twisted, evil, great - These are the best words to describe this movie. It won't be a movie that everyone will enjoy, but I think the casting was spot on and the story was deliciously quirky.
September 20, 2012
I knew from the beginning who was the bad guy... only that in the end it leaves a few things unresolved ... and I hate cats too
September 20, 2012
Enjoyable thriller about tenants in a Montreal neighborhood, and a serial killer on the lose in the city.
September 19, 2012
A fresh addition to an otherwise cliche genre
September 15, 2012
This didn't get super interesting until about halfway through. An odd mix of characters that eventually grew on me but the ending left something to be desired.
September 6, 2012
Ominous and eccentric...this Canadian Jacob Tierney spine-chiller always keeps you guessing and teaches you a very important lesson - never piss off the cat lady.