The Good Night - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Good Night Reviews

February 11, 2015
Has some interesting ideas, but kinda bungles the execution, especially in the third act, where things are played for pathos that just haven't been developed at all; like, were we supposed to feel sad that he was gonna stop using his dream sex-slave? Or happy that he was trying to win back his horrible wife? However, Paltrow has a nice rhythm to his scenes, even if his pacing overall is bad, and I liked the actors (Cruz is great, especially in the real-life scenes, and Freeman and Pegg made me laugh).
July 28, 2014
Simon Pegg a bright spot
½ May 11, 2014
A film with a very interesting concept that unfortunately never fully develops. In some ways intriguing & in others sadly boring. The performances & cinematography make this film enjoyable but unfortunately once the film ends there's no payoff. You're left either wanting something from the film or angry for even expecting more.
½ March 13, 2014
Wasn't All Bad..I Enjoyed It For What It Offered. But That Wasn't All That Much, Unfortunately..
August 8, 2013
Very Kaufman-esque, even though it tries a little too hard. I do really like Martin Freeman.
April 27, 2013 all time fave theme. I often ask myself what people had a lucid dream before? I often ask if I have but I don't remember it. Anyway, the film made me look for more info (yes, research) and defenetly I was not expecting the ending...I will remember this film forever. Why? One: I want to have a lucid dream. And 2nd: I don't want to get on that situation in the ending (end up in tears literally). By that I mean I did not expected that and no, it was not predictable.

Plot: Gary used to be a famous musician as his friend Paul. He has a long time girlfriend called Dora who is an artist (painting? Art?). Every night Gary sees Anna....and has a goal in his life: meet her in real life. Will he accomplish that? Will him and Dora resolve their couple situation? How it ends? Won't spoil because like I wrote before, I did NOT expected that. Stars? Defenetly yes. Inspiring script even if some stuffs were kinda off.

Acting: Penelope Cruz as Anna and Melodia estuvo increible y fenomenal como siempre. La tia sabe lo que hace y la envidio un poquito nada mas jeje. Claro, ser la chica Almodovar le abrio las puertas al exito sin duda alguna. So si, se la comio con el papel aunque fuera uno chiquito. Martin Freeman was incredible as always, no doubt he nailed it wonderfully and yes, he made the role look adorable sometimes and other times hateful but it was the role, not his fault. Gwyneth as Dora was stunning and superb too. The cast is so big, I will say this very fast: WELL DONE! Including you Dumbledore!

Music: The score was fantastic even the piano song (that made me think of a Beatles song). So yes, stars for the musicians and their amazing work.

To end this review, 4 stars of 5. Enjoy and HASTA LA PROXIMA AMIGOS/AS! CHAO! BLESS YOU ALL!!!
PD: Saw this movie again, April 27, 2013, and loved it even more (some people I know did not like it because they did not understand Gary's problem in the story (script perse)...yes, is for detectives knowledge only LOL).
April 24, 2013
A very different dream-state movie about a somewhat awkward Freeman trying to make sense of his dreams and monsters, and coming to realize that the key lies in the tangible, even if somewhat dull. DeVito pulls of a funny side-character.
March 28, 2013
weird and no intriguing film!
½ March 24, 2013
I actually enjoyed The Good Night, mostly thanks to the strong cast involved and the fact that the subject material is very intriguing. While I wasn't all too impressed with Gwyneth Paltrow, I found Martin Freeman and Penelope Cruz to be utterly fantastic in their respective roles. Despite the repetitiveness of the first half of the film, I still found it quite compelling and the characters relatable in some way, shape, or form; I also actually really liked the slow pacing of the film and especially the events leading to its conclusion - this is where the great soundtrack and Paltrow's filming technique truly flourish (although I have to say one of the scenes in the end made me jump). For a first time director, I thought Jake Paltrow did an exceptional job; sure, The Good Night is nothing groundbreaking, but it offers some interesting insight on dreams as well as a slow moving yet altogether satisfying story.
February 6, 2013
Interesting and definitely very different sort of movie. Dealing with the idea of Lucid dreaming and attempting to control your dreams, this film maps one man's obsessions with this as it eventually takes over his life. Filmed partly in documentary style with interviews and partly as a narrative this blend worked quite well for this film. A nice amount of comedy thrown in thanks largely to comedic actors Danny DeVito, Martin Freeman and Simon Pegg as the oversexed best friend of sorts. I felt the movie lost momentum about two thirds of the way through which was surprising given its short 93 minute length, however the ending more than made up for any slow parts. An interesting concept well executed but by no means a movie that will go on to receive awards or long lasting acclaim.
½ January 25, 2013
You know what this movie is going to be about after 5 minutes and sadly it doesn't do anything to deviate from the path it sets out. Once you take any semblance of originality out of a movie you had better be damn sure it is entertaining or moving and sadly The Good Night is neither.
½ January 14, 2013
Lackluster tale of a man torn between the iddylic dream life or the difficult, if more substantial, life in the real. Altho a nice middling story with okey-dokey dialogue, there's nada here to herald significant interest.
December 20, 2012
It'd like to see this. Only one problem -- Gwyneth Paltrow is in it.
October 27, 2012
Anything with Penelope Cruz, makes it a good night.
July 29, 2012
A low-key film with some potential and aspirations to greatness. Too bad there are others who have done this sort of thing a lot better. Most of the characters are really annoying unfortunately.
½ July 17, 2012
I have the same problem that martin freeman has in the movie, that my dreams usually consist of penelope cruz. Imagine my amazement when heard that a movie was being made about it. And I loved it, simon pegg and martin were pretty hilarious as was devito. Then after I watched it, I started having martin's dreams of penelope, in my own dreams. So I give much thanks to this movie for making my night time dozes even better.
July 7, 2012
[07/12] Ein langweiliger, zum Teil unverständlicher Film mit erschreckendem Ende. Das muss ich ihm lassen. Martin Freeman und Simon Pegg sind durchaus nett anzuschauen, aber noch mal muss ich ihn mir nicht antun.
½ April 25, 2012
Having experienced dreams I didn't want to wake from, livid dreams of Gods glory I was intriuged by this story and Gwenith's performance left me in awe. Wished for a better ending on this one.
½ April 15, 2012
What a yawn fest. I don't really know what I was expecting from this film, but just as well I was not expecting much as I found this to be one of the most boring films I have watched in a looooong time. A lacklustre role for Simon Pegg as well, this part did absolutely nothing for him.
April 15, 2012