Good Time Max - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Good Time Max Reviews

May 30, 2013
i would re-watch if this was the only viable option
March 25, 2013
James Franco is just brilliant. A great actor with a few questionable career choices (General Hospital *for God's sake!*, Your Highness, anyone?), but a great talent. This desperate "art house" film does not serve him well. He wrote & directed this one as well. That being said, his characters are somewhat flat, a bit cliched and the story serves nothing new. I found his directing style overeager and was disappointed by the finale. Come on, Mr. Franco. We've seen your talent. You're an Oscar nominee for goodness sake! Give us more "127 Hours" & "Milk", and a little less "this". Your potential is amazing! YOU could be the next household heartthrob with trophies to back your talent up!
½ December 13, 2012
Drama. How come intelligent ppl think drug is magic wonderstuff? Brothers bond.
September 10, 2012
muy buena! james franco es un groso
June 13, 2012
Very good insight into drug abuse affecting every walk of life WONDERFUL FILM
May 7, 2012
James Franco is just brilliant. A great actor with a few questionable career choices (General Hospital, Your Highness, anyone?), but a great talent. This desperate "art house" film does not serve him well. He wrote & directed this one as well. That being said, his characters are somewhat flat, a bit cliched and the story serves nothing new. I found his directing style overeager and was disappointed by the finale. Come on, Mr. Franco. We've seen your talent. You're an Oscar nominee for goodness sake! Give us more "127 Hours" & "Milk", and a little less "this". Your potential is amazing! YOU could be the next household heartthrob with trophies to back your talent up!
March 10, 2012
james franco was obviously obsessed with Requiem for a dream & fight club as a youngster, shame his movie was a cheap rip off of both of theses brilliant films.
He some how tries to glorify drugs but goes way over the top into exaggerating certain effects of drugs. its a movie written by a "boy" with sex drugs and rock&roll on the brain, ask me to write a movie this is what i would come up with, should it be made into a movie? NO. The guy cant "act" normal, its like he cant switch off to the fact that there is a camera in front of him.
Don't waste your time, i had to watch it to the end just to see how bad it would get, it didn't disappoint in that regard as it was total shit
March 9, 2012
buena pelicula!! algunas cosas me confundieron como todo ese rollo sobre que el era un genio crei que sacarian algo mas sobre eso! en fin james franco es cool!
½ March 4, 2012
james franco joue très bien mais le film manque de profondeur, de noirceur
February 24, 2012
loved it, was a ting!
November 9, 2011
There has never been such an artistic way to describe jerking off on bunnies.
June 21, 2011
ADDING TO ONE OF MY FAVORITE INDEPENDENT FILMS EVER!!!!!
April 16, 2011
James Franco tried to tell us: "Life's a bitch, with or without drugs"...
½ April 7, 2011
Very reminiscent of Requiem for a Dream. Franco is brilliant as always. Moral of the story: Don't do drugs! Prescription drugs are still drugs!
April 7, 2011
I thought the storyline of this movie was great. Just when you think you know what is going to happen it all changes again. Also I think James Franco is amazing so to see that he was a writer for this, directed AND was the leading role was fantastic!
½ February 14, 2011
The movie never lives up to its plot's potential
January 31, 2011
"An okay film itself but James Franco's performances is what makes it more watchable."
½ January 20, 2011
James Franco has a lot more skill than I used to be aware of. With this film, he shows promise as a writer and director, and proves once again that he is an exceptionally gifted actor. A lot of the material in Good Time Max is recycled, and the narrative focus arguably meanders at times. Nevertheless, I was emotionally compelled by these characters and situations (maybe for personal reasons), and I think the movie's strengths outweigh its weaknesses. Imperfect, to be sure, but very good.
½ December 16, 2010
I usually like movies where the smart guy, for whatever reason, never really makes it as far as maybe he should have. Good Will Hunting is my favorite movie, and Reign over Me is another fav of mine. This movie falls along those lines but does not come close to the aforementioned movies.

Franco directed two movies before this but no idea how big they were. Credit to him for co-writing, acting, and directing this. It's pretty busy on the direction end. Perhaps in time, Franco will lose all the nonsense and just tell the story. The manic camera work and weird colors were annoying to me.

Other than that, I just didn't like the brothers. Franco's guy always reminded people how smart he was. The doctor was not quite believable and I hated his voice. And I like to learn a little about people in my movies. This one is pretty shallow in that regard with little to offer.
½ October 9, 2010
I feel fortunate to see such an unfortunate story. I was on the edge of my seat. Thumbs up for Franco!