Good Vibrations Reviews

• Jun 04, 2016

Never sags. Lead actor Richard Dormer is worth the watching, and he sings as well! The character of Terri Hooley is portrayed as funny, energetic, brave, even a bit manic - and the movie matches him on all points,

• Oct 23, 2015

At the start of this film, I knew nothing of Irishman Terri Hooley and his record label "Good Vibrations". I only knew that this was a true story about someone who was passionate when about music, and that was enough to make me tune in. The production feels very authentic. The 1970?s comes to life in familiar browns and beiges. The grit and grind of Belfast is solidly conveyed. It's no wonder that so many characters within the story would latch so hard onto music as the one thing that could get them through the day; as the very reason for the day itself. Music is a powerful medium;it means something very visceral, something transcendent, to so many. It seems to have meant more than absolutely anything else in the world to Terri Hooley. It's a story that needed to be told. It wasn't the fastest paced film, and perhaps my attention did wander a little at times; but there are those who will tell you it's a work of art and a labor of love. It wasn't made to be a smash hit, however. It's more of a specialty piece that will shine for those it was made for, while passing by the public-eye. I am happy to view it as a slightly above-average, educational biography. And, Hooley's missus was a saint.

• May 02, 2015

Good as punk rock can be

Good as punk rock can be

• May 01, 2015

There's a scene in Good Vibrations where the main character goes to his first punk gig and slowly, but surely, is won over by the glorious racket being played. The way his whole demeanour changes perfectly illustrates the beautiful, transformative, life-changing power of music. Joyous.

• Apr 28, 2015

Cracking film about the music scene in 70s Belfast.

Cracking film about the music scene in 70s Belfast.

• Apr 23, 2015

A cracking good watch. Only slightly varnished for the screen, this tale of the power of reggae (and punk, and all stations in between) in the face of brutal times in Belfast is presented in the context of Terri Hooley's madcap enthusiasm. Again it's the BBC at work, but this dramatisation actually works well, perhaps because of the use of lots of newsreel footage and a rather less glorious colour palette than they've used in other productions. And of course it has all that cool music too.

• Apr 12, 2015

Everyone has to see this.

Everyone has to see this.

• Apr 09, 2015

Great vibrations!!! Really enjoyed this film, love the fact it's a true story. Always nice to learn something new about music that didn't know previously. Also shows how things have changed. From people feeling passionate about music to the terrible take over of the X factor. Made me realise what I prefer. Characters were good and depicted the 'troubles, well and makes you feel like music could change the world!

• Mar 26, 2015

This is a punk music version of Senna: it doesn't matter if you don't know anything about the music scene or Northern Ireland in the late 1970s, it doesn't even matter if you're not a fan of punk music, this is a tale of optimism over realism, of passion over practicalities, with a fantastic central character in Terri Hooley. He's a ramshackle, often unsympathetic character who becomes increasingly single-minded, but his enthusiasm and vision are utterly compelling and a joy to behold. We are almost literally swept along on his drive, despite all the flaws and problems we can see. Richard Dormer is terrific as Terri, and the supporting cast are all great, as is Belfast - virtually a character in itself. This film is energetic, life-affirming, defiant and fun. Recommended.

• Mar 17, 2015

(54%) A likeable film about a likeable, largely unknown man who opens a Belfast record shop during the troubled 1970's, and in a similar vane to Brian Epstein helps change the course of music history. There really isn't a whole lot here in terms of surprises, and some of the ideas really don't work as well as others such as Hooley's comedic, rather silly hallucinations, but this still tells its quite informative story well. Although its finest asset is the fact that it shows that it's possible to have real significance in a very competitive industry without ever selling millions of records and becoming mega rich, which is something this film more or less is all about to the point of relishing in it.