A Good Woman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Good Woman Reviews

June 4, 2016
A delight for the eyes, ears and mind. A beauty, beautifully photographed. Think-producing, wittily encased truisms sprinkled about. Every word counts. Thoroughly enjoyable the look for a good woman.
January 7, 2016
How this gem escaped our wonderful viewing pleasure after being trapped in nightly TV land for years is incredible! Always a fan of Helen Hunt in everything she's done and who would not adore Scarlet J? Put them both in incredible gowns and parade them through the rich portions of the world would be enough.

But the plot, acting and surprises, then recalling special moments of vacation days past in those settings ... ooohlala, wish we were there!

7 stars!
September 27, 2015
Pretty cinematography but melodramatic in every other aspect.
June 23, 2015
In the end , I found it hard to follow the script & came to conclude that it was up to me to belive what I wished about all that was implied. Which was the the truth & the lie covering it & truth behind that lie etc.
May 1, 2015
Love this modern adaptation version of Oscar Wilde' s short novel, Lady Windermere' s Fan. Helen Hunt and Scarlett Johansson teamed up to deliver good performances!
½ January 3, 2015
Like most of oscar wilde's plays it must be seen as a comedy, not a "drama" or wathever this film is supposed to be. It just a Hollywood-miscast, and I do mean the two main protagonists (Hunt and Johansson). Tom Wilkinson and Campbell are desperately trying to save this dull adaption, nevertheless It is still more enjoyable than the average hollywood romcom.
November 2, 2014
A really really good movie.
½ September 13, 2014
Review:
This movie seemed like it was made for TV. It's one of those period dramas, set in the 1930's, about troubled relationships and cheating husbands. I liked the twist in the movie, which kept it slightly interesting, but the core of the storyline was a bit weak. The cast wasn't that bad but there wasn't anyone to bring some wit or intense drama to the film. Don't get me wrong, I am quite a fan of Tom Wilkinson, who has seemed to matured with age, but the main characters Helen Hunt and Scarlett Johansson, didn't really make the movie enjoyable, due to the script. Personally, I was expecting better from the cast, but I think that the whole project failed because of the poor direction. Disappointing!

Round-Up:
Everybody knows that Scarlett Johansson is blowing up at the moment in the Avengers franchise so she just can't seem to do wrong. Helen Hunt has been out of the limelight for some time now which is most probably due to her short range. She's quite good with drama concepts, but she hasn't really done anything else, except for Twister which was years ago. Tom Wilkinson has put in some great performances in movies like Michael Clayton and Batman Begins and he made me laugh as the baddie in RocknRolla. As for this movie, I enjoyed the banter between the old guys, but that was about it.

Budget: N/A
Worldwide Gross: $7million

I recommend this movie to people who are into there period drama/romantic stories about a lady who has an affair with a married man. 3/10
August 17, 2014
O elenco prometia mas a obra de Oscar Wilde é retratada de uma forma algo insípida.
June 11, 2014
This was a pretty good movie. The supporting cast was great. They spent the whole movie gossiping and they had the best lines in the movie.
May 20, 2014
WOW! I so wasn't expecting this movie to be this good or this engaging. I am not a Helen Hunt fan at all and she is just marvelous in this. You believe she is exactly what she is portraying --so much so that you do not see the twist that they totally sneak in there and then you are like WHOA! A lovely film.
March 17, 2014
This was a good movie. Not great and not bad. Good ending, with a semi-surprise twist. I thought the scenery and costumes were the best part.
February 14, 2014
Lots of witty quotes.
September 1, 2013
When it comes to adapting the work of such a famous writer like Oscar Wilde, almost any director will fall into some difficulties in portraying such vivid storytelling, especially in re-envisioning the wildly popular play "A Good Woman". Mike Barker's adaptation is both wonderfully cast and wrongfully cast in many instances, as is it often acceptably portrayed and mistakenly portrayed on several occasions. Helen Hunt as Mrs. Erlynne tends to feel a bit miscast. While Hunt is normally a strong and insightful actress, her performance here is muddled, never possessing the femme fatale factor needed to carry her sexuality to the level it needs to be. Instead, she often appears unsure of herself, a choice she makes, but ultimately squanders any sexual undertones surrounding her role. On the other hand, Tom Wilkinson is expertly cast as Tuppy, who embodies his prestige with a vigor all his own, regularly stealing the show and becoming the highlight of the last half of the film. Scarlett Johansson, neither strongly nor badly casted, does carry the naivety needed to successfully delineate the role of Meg and even surprises on occasion. If you've never experienced Wilde's play, as I had not, the film does well to hide many of the story's secrets and produces a mix between great revelations and poor conclusions. Overall, "A Good Woman" rides the borderline between a good adaptation and a misguided one, presenting Wilkinson and Johansson in enough of a favorable light to make the film worth it, but with no expectations of being a favorite.
June 27, 2013
Based on a play by Oscar Wilde, A Good Woman is a satirical comedy set in the 1930s. The story follows a seductress, who preys upon rich men, as she heads for the coast of Italy in search of new prospects. The film stars Helen Hunt, Scarlett Johansson, and Tom Wilkinson, who all give strong performances. The costumes and set designs are also quite impressive, and have an authentic feel to them. However, the writing is dialog heavy, and it interferes with the storytelling. While the film has some problems, A Good Woman is an entertaining film with a smart sense of humor.
May 25, 2013
Although not a bad movie, it was not as scintillating as Oscar Wilde should be even with his witty dialog and the beautiful Italian coast as backdrop. Helen Hunt, although a very good actress, was simply not right for this role, although the rest of the cast was very well chosen. The mood and music were too melancholy, instead of as spritely as Wilde meant the play to be.This director should have watched Room With a View.
½ March 30, 2013
The women in this movie just ended up being a little irritating. Maybe it was the casting choices, but the only really enjoyable thing in this movie ended up being the banter between the men (even though it was extremely sexist-it was of the time, so it was pretty funny). Definitely not up to the standard of Oscar Wilde.
March 7, 2013
It was ok accompaniment to washing my dishes...I liked the costumes.
February 27, 2013
Moving story. Loved it!
½ February 16, 2013
I though the cast was superb, and I liked the photography.