A Good Year - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Good Year Reviews

½ July 5, 2014
Marion Cotillard is always a dream to watch. Great photography too.
June 25, 2014
You can see this film working very hard to try and figure out how to set the correct tone and find make the stylistic elements fit together in the right way, and that is the problem. But, that said, it is not without its charming moments, despite what seems like a rushed ending.
June 21, 2014
Boring but crow is still one of the best actors ever
½ June 19, 2014
This was pretty good, a bit of a departure for Russell Crowe and Ridley Scott as its a "charming romantic comedy" but it works. Crowe plays a London Investment banker who inherits a vineyard in France and finds his life changing for the better as he goes about the process of selling it and falling in love. Not a terribly unique story and I didn't care too much for R.C in the rom-com role, some of his scenes felt forced (the pool, driving the mini car) but it's still enjoyable, well made, amusing and has nice scenery. I did like Albert Finny and Freddie Highmore in the flashback scenes and the vineyard estate is gorgeous. A nice escape with little thought needed. Reminded me of Under A Tuscan Sun w Dianne Lane. 6/18/14
June 18, 2014
just love this movie
June 10, 2014
One of my absolutely favourite movies
½ May 30, 2014
Loved this movie. I loved the characters, I loved the story, and the acting, and the directing was superb.
May 22, 2014
It's sappy for sure, and yet, Scott's little French adventure is still likeable. Simple ethics, gorgeous vistas and a generally sunny and warm tone lead to a good taste, though its fluff prevents it from being a true vintage dramedy.
May 6, 2014
Least likeable rom com protagonist I've ever seen.
May 4, 2014
Entertaining light hearted movie. Story maybe a bit light times and could've done with some better editing. Overall an ok watch.
April 22, 2014
This movie was at it's best when it was delving into the main characters past.
½ April 21, 2014
7.5/10

It's not exactly a film one would expect from Ridley Scott, but A Good Year overcomes its occasional ventures into treacle with good performances, warm humor, and a well-written script.
April 18, 2014
Fantastic film. I admit I'm biased because I love the dynamic duo from Gladiator (actor & director) and that I loved the investment banker/vineyard memories storyline. I think it's a classic, only because I had a taste for it. I could easily see why others may not think it a very progressive story and consequently an empty film, but I still liked it.
½ April 12, 2014
Definitely not a movie you would expect with Russell Crowe and Ridley Scott, quite odd, but I liked it a lot.
April 1, 2014
wow ummmmn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is just an enjoyable movie 2 watch.......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie......i think that russell crowe, albert finney, marion cotillard, abbie cornish, didier boudon, richard coyle (from the brilliant tv series coupling), play good roles/parts throughout this movie.......i think that the director of this comedy/drama movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......i think that freddie highmore ( as Young Max Skinner) throughout this movie was good thorughout this movie.......i think that this is such an enjoyable romantic comedy movie 2 watch.......i think that marion cotillard was good throughout this movie as the love interest of russell crowe throughout this movie.......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.......i think that this is such an enjoyable romantic comedy movie 2 watch it is such a really well written/acted//directed movie 2 watch its such a sweet little movie 2 watch it is an enjoyable romantic comedy movie 2 watch.......i think that this is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch.......i think that this is such an enjoyable romantic comedy movie 2 watch it is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch its such a really fun enjoyable movie 2 watch its got a good cast thorughout this movie its such a really enjoyable romantic comedy movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie its such an enjoyable romantic comedy movie 2 watch.......
March 26, 2014
This movie is delightful! It rolls on as smooth and pleasant as a glass of a sophisticated red wine works its magic after a hard day's work in the company of trusted friends. Don't bother with this film, if your bent is on breathless, fast-paced editing, pretentious quips or gratuitous attention-grabbing. Its humour makes you smile rather than laugh out loud and the romance warms the cockles of your heart rather than titillate. This one is for hedonists in the best sense, aesthetes for those who have found that subtlety has value and many beautiful experiences need not be bought, but allowed time and space instead.
bbcfloridabound
½ February 16, 2014
A Good Year is a perfectly enjoyable Sunday afternoon-type movie and an interesting departure for Hollywood heavyweights Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe. Crowe is Max, an arrogant, workaholic London stockbroker who inherits a vineyard in the south of France from his recently deceased uncle whom he hasn't seen in years but with whom he used to spend summers at the vineyard as a child. Max hurries down to Provence intending to sell the property as soon as possible and then resume his fast-track life in London several million pounds richer. Things however don't work out quite so simply. Will Max grow to love the vineyard and decide to stay there instead? Will he also fall in love with a local waitress? Will he become a nicer person in the process? No prizes for guessing the answers to these questions. To its credit, A Good Year pretty much wears its unoriginality on its sleeve and makes no effort to be anything that it isn't. It's certainly as far removed from Crowe and Scott's previous collaboration, Gladiator, as it's possible to be. It's simply a straightforward, fairly sentimental romantic comedy, nicely scripted and acted with some beautifully photographed French locations. It's nice to see Crowe attempting to broaden his range; he's by no means a natural comic but I did enjoy his performance which recalls both Cary and Hugh Grant at times. He's also helped by the script giving him some very funny one-liners. The film makes full use of its lush Provencal locations with plenty of golden, sun-dappled cinematography, all the more beautiful for being set alongside the steely blues and greys of London. No reinvention of the cinematic wheel then, and far from either Crowe or Scott's best work but there are a lot worse ways to spend a couple of hours. 4 1/2 Stars 2-9-14
February 12, 2014
Un bon film simple et léger de la part de l'immense Ridley Scott.
February 9, 2014
one of my all time faves
February 1, 2014
The acting is bad, the plot is bad. Truly bad