Goodbye Bafana - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Goodbye Bafana Reviews

January 2, 2011
I understand that there is some exaggeration here and that Gregory didn't know Mandela as well as he claims. However, that is of little consequence as films are not meant to be the literal truth but merely representations of it. To me, the story is believable and interesting. I just felt that too much of the time was spent on Gregory and you don't get a feel for how black South Africans felt. You get a decent glimpse of Mandela but this isn't a film that lets you see anything of the common people. Both Fiennes and Haysbert do a good job and the movie is well worth watching.
½ December 22, 2010
Este filme trás a luta contra o racismo e a vida na prisão de Nelson Mandela.
December 5, 2010
An amazing, true story giving insight into Mandela's character and the effect he's had on people around him including the prison warden, James Gregory, from whose perspective the book/film is shown. Incredibly moving, terribly sad but also uplifting thanks to a few well spoken, important messages from Madiba (terrifically playes the wonderful Dennis Haysbert but Joe Fiennes, with impeccable SA accent, knocked my socks off in this one - one of his best ever performances surely!).
½ November 24, 2010
Mandela's relationship with his jailor may not be fully or faithfully represented here, however as a movie this is very strong film-making, with plenty of feeling and emotion emanating from the characters and performances.
½ November 10, 2010
Just saw some of this again on Film4. Joseph Fiennes is fantastic.
½ November 3, 2010
This true story about Nelson Mandela's prison guard is well acted and moving but hampered by mild direction which fails to eke out everything possible from the material.
October 23, 2010
The only freedom fighter in Africa who actually made a difference the right way! A truly remarkable man. There is no one else like him.
September 3, 2010
A really good biopic of South Africa's recent history. Joseph Fiennes is a great lead and shows a good transformation in character but the star of the show is Dennis Haysbert who is brilliant as Nelson Mandela. The strength and dignity he brings to the role fits perfectly and I found myself forgetting what Mandela really looks like because all I could picture was David Palmer :D
September 1, 2010
First Mandela, his life is the greatest story. Dennis plays his role very well, I could feel his dignified attitude like real.
August 8, 2010
Helt bra om fangevokteren til Nelson Mandela og deres forhold gjennom 22 år,oxo bra nær historie time !!
July 3, 2010
One man comes along and by hazard meets another. Although from different backgrounds, and with different purposes, they eventually become friends as history unravels. The movie does require some upfront knowledge from the viewer, if he really wants to understand how the story develops.
April 25, 2010
Muito bom mesmo! Grandes conquistas não são fáceis de se conquistar, mas valem a pena!!!
½ April 4, 2010
I like this movie. I, mostly love this kind of movies, but in this movie something that bother me is, why on Mandela's Autobiography is not enough Gregory's name to make such a great role?
March 31, 2010
"Nagy baj van akkor, ha a benzin drágább, mint a sör."
March 21, 2010
A good solid film, nicely shot. The subject matter alone makes it worth watching, nice performances from all the cast. However I cannot think of Dennis Haysbert as anything other than David Palmer.
March 7, 2010
O que falar sobre Madiba? Nelson Mandela foi e é um dos maiores ícones representativo da Humanidade. Mas este filme não fala sobre o Heroi do Fim do Apartheid, fala sobre o Olhar do Carcereiro que coadjuvantemente participou de toda a drámatica tragetória que Madiba viveu como prisionéiro,

What to say about Madiba? Nelson Mandela was and is one of the most iconic representative of humanity. But this movie is not about the hero of the End of Apartheid, talks about the "Look Supporting" of the Jailer who participated of whole dramatic trajectory of Madiba how prisioner.
February 10, 2010
To little dialog for my taste, and the worst part of it is that e.g. the childrens dialog is just to get the movie along, and so that the viewer knows what is going on. So unnaturale and corny all together...but a desent movie, but I don't think I'll recommend it.

And btw...how the hell do you get 21 years of story into a 2 hour movie, it is just a loosing battle. Just a 'quick overview' of a movie.
February 3, 2010
jeg troede den handlede om mandela, ikke en fængselsvagt..
January 23, 2010
Although there is much sceptacism surrounding the actual 'truth' in this true story (Mandela claims he hardly ever spoke to Gregory and that the memoirs the film is based on are mainly fictional) a lot of the issues surrounding the film hold true. Obviously the struggle for Black people to be seen as equal in South Africa is one most people are aware of, but the struggle of white people who believe in black equal rights in a time when it wasn't the accpeted thing to do is an insight we don't often see. The struggles Gregory and his family face when he starts to see things from the black persons point of view, when he sees past the propaganda and learns that they do not wish to run the white people out of their land (which is something his wife falsely believed to start with) but just wish to have equality for all is something that should be remember. Because without those who stood up for the rights of others when they did not have the history of South Africa might have played out differently.
It was also interesting to see things from Mandela's point of view - everything from violance and terrorist actions to get his voice heard, to his respect he gave political leaders who failed to do the same for him. It goes beyond the simplistic look that he was either a terrorist or a hero, rather simply showing him as a man with great intellignece, fighting for something he believes is right - he becomes more than just a black and white figure and ou see the different layers of his character. I also loved the dipiction of two of the most famous pieces of that time in South Africa's history - the speech Mandela's daughter gave on behalf of her father, in which she quoted that what would setting him free do if his people were not also free people. And the final moment that defines the recent political history in South Africa, when it was released from the clutches of civil war with the simple realse of one man.
The acting on the whole was excellent - Dennis Haysbert (who I usually love anyway) did a fantastic job playing such a famous figure. Joseph Fiennes also put in a star peformance as the prison guard who came to respect him. The only thing I was a little unsure of was their Xosa accents and language (and occasionally I thought Fiennes' South Africa accent slipped) as I wasn't sure it was spot on. But then again when I worked in South Africa I worked with mainly Afrikkaans speaking people, I'd have to ask friends their opinion to be sure.
Overall although the actual story of the relationship between Gregory and Mandela may be built on a fabrication, it represent the struggle of the white people of the time who were prepared to see past the colour of a persons skin and see the human within. And that I think is a truely inspiring message which should be remembered.
January 7, 2010
Lovely movie. I really liked the storyline, and the director manages to bring out the change in the prison guard very beautifully. Dennis Haysbert as Nelson Mandela is absolutely brilliant, as is Fiennes as the prison guard. The film truly lives up to its premise, and is a must watch for everyone who undermines the apartheid regime in South Africa, and the contributions of Mandela to changing the situation in the region. The only flaw I found was that the director seemed to show that every other white person except for the protagonist was a openly racist person, and a 2 dimensional figure. However it can be granted that it wasn't really possible to delve more into this, else the movie would be too long. The movie, moves through the 1 and 3/4 hours of its runtime at a brisk pace, and never gets uninteresting.I'd highly recommend this movie for everyone, atleast everyone old enough to understand the subject matter discussed. The movie really motivates you to learn more about Nelson Mandela's (and his comrades') time in prison, and the whole situation in SA through those decades.