Goodbye Bafana - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Goodbye Bafana Reviews

½ January 4, 2010
A very watchable drama which covers a large portion of Nelson Mandela's life but he is a peripheral figure to the story of the prison guard and his family. Not a bad movie but nothing too memorable.
January 3, 2010
well what a film, aparently it is for once actually very close to the truth. great film reccomending it to anyone who fancies something with feeling, emotion and challanges.
December 14, 2009
Bille August´s bedste film, se den!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
December 14, 2009
was expecting it to be better but didnt enjoy it at all... the performances were quite alright but the story wasnt quite gripping..
December 12, 2009
Interasante película que cuenta el periodo de encarcelamiento de Nelson Mandela a través de los ojos de su celador, quien además de eso era racista. Algo muy común en esa época en Sudafrica por el "Apartheid".

Dennis Haysbert (el famoso presidente de la serie 24) creo que no fue la mejor opción para Mandela sin importar que tan bien actue. Ya casi al final le ponen una peluca canosa que debería estar en la lista de los peores efectos en una película.
Sin embargo las actuaciones son buenas y la historia también. Como bonus, sale la siempre bella, mi amiga del alma Diane Kruger.
Espero con ansia ver a Morgan freeman hacer a Mandela. Ahora si quitate que "ay" te voy.
½ December 10, 2009
very nice movie... must watch
December 4, 2009
I liked this movie although some of it was a little tough to take,. But we need to be reminded of how life is/was for many people. Joseph Fiennes and Diane Kruger were excellent in their roles as James and Gloria Gregory. I'm a huge Dennis Haysbert fan but I honestly didn't know if he'd be able to pull off Nelson Mandela. I was pleasantly surprised that Dennis played a thoroughly enjoyable and believable Nelson Mandela.
½ November 10, 2009
This film, specially at the end, brought back a lot of memories of watching the news footage of Nelson Mandela walk out of prison a free man.

Bit slow at times but I enjoyed it and I also learned a lot about Mr Mandela's imprisonment that I had not known before.

In the end this movie just reaffirmed my belief that discrimination, whatever it is, will always lose against the goodness of equality.

BTW, this movie's alternate title is 'The Color Of Freedom' which is what Netflix has it under.
October 27, 2009
THIS ONE makes me cry when i watched it!
The story is very shocking! but all the performances were amazing, i didnt want it to finish!!
½ October 25, 2009
Another film about Nelson Mandela, this time seen through the eyes of the prison officer James Gregory. Joseph Fiennes good as Gregory but I can't understand why Diane Kruger works in Hollywood, she is just awful!
October 19, 2009
great movie, which depicts very well the change of time and spirit behind Nelson Mandela's struggle. Give us a very good view of the human aspect of his detention.
October 17, 2009
Es la historia acerca de los anios que paso Nelson Mandela en la carcel y la relacion que tenia con su carcelero, una pelicula muy informativa!!!
October 6, 2009
A true story well told. Very touching.
September 27, 2009
A heart warming tale of the complex relationship between a white Policeman James Grgory played by Joseph Fiennes & Nelson Mandela played by Dennis Haysbert in aparheid South Africa.The performances are brilliant.Must watch for Joseph Fiennes acting.
September 25, 2009
Buena pelicula. La historia muy linda e interesante y no cae en puntos bajos. Las actuaciones buenas, pero pudieron ser mejores a mi parecer. Muy recomendable.
September 15, 2009
This is an excellent movie. Joseph Fiennes and Dennis Haysbert in particular are excellent. I expected it to be boring, but it isn't. The story is told extremely well - there are funny and sad moments, and a good sense of the development of the situation in South Africa.
September 15, 2009
September 13, 2009
I don't know how much of Gregory's memoirs are really true regarding Mandela, but it's an interesting history all the same.
½ September 10, 2009
Un bon petit film qui nous décrit l'Afrique du Sud de l'aparteid par les yeux du gardien de Mandela. Ce n'ets pas un film inoubliable mais il est assez intéressant...
½ August 15, 2009
Good movie! I enjoyed watching it and found relationship between guard and Mandela very interesting.