Goodbye Again - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Goodbye Again Reviews

June 3, 2015
This high class sixties soap opera shows off the talents of Ingrid Bergman Yves Montand and Anthony Hopkins, with its air of sophistication and intriguing style. The story is rather bland, but it's enough to allow the performances and the great black and white visuals to carry the film. Hopkins awkwardness fits in perfectly here, since he plays the younger fling of Bergman versus the older sophistication of Montand.
Perfect for a rainy Sunday afternoon.

3 out of 5 stars
½ June 11, 2013
God, Ingrid Bergman can make me cry. A refreshing melodrama, even with the characters being so very French, like the movies tell us they are with their enlightened sexual arrangements and all of Paris happening in bars, clubs, restaurants, and cars (the film definitely capitalizes on the 60s setting with its black and white photography).

Yves Montand's sophisticated businessman and Anthony Perkin's tempestuous playboy hold their own, but this film belongs to Bergman's Paula*, finding out just how much love and fidelity is acceptable. The generous screenplay, and the relaxed structure allow a surprisingly nuance image of love at a certain age to emerge, even as its inevitabilities may seem a little dated. (From a femiinst perspective, also interesting in the portrayal of the sexual double standard and the toll of changing sexual mores).

*Though in all honesty, it takes a major suspension of disbelief, or rather, very good acting to believe that Ingrid Bergman's Paula is insecure about her age (at 40!) and unlucky in love, when she would have any problem picking up any man she wanted-- seeing how she's a fabulous and sucessful interior designer, and she looks like Ingrid Bergman (which is to say, still as gorgeous as she was in Casablanca).
½ May 19, 2013
Goodbye Again is an incredible film. It is about Paula who is a beautiful and highly successful 40-year-old businesswoman. Ingrid Bergman, Yves Montand, and Anthony Perkins give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Anatole Litvak did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. Goodbye Again is a must see.
April 23, 2013
Touching story about love, affairs, and wisdom born from allowing relationships to come full circle. Bergman plays a successful woman (with a wise young maid) who is in a comfortable relationship with Montand, who under appreciates her. Enter Perkins as a bored, talented, and rich young man yearning for the love of an older woman - just not anyone too like his mother. Thus is begun a menage a trois guaranteed to put everyone's heart through the wringer. Don't watch if you dislike Brahms!
April 6, 2013
It's a little melodramatic and overly long, but Goodbye Again is still an enjoyable and entertaining romance, thanks largely to a charismatic performance from Anthony Perkins. Perkins, who was fresh off of his big role in Psycho, brings a certain liveliness and joy to the movie that makes it easy to like. Perkins is also accompanied by two other veteran actors, Ingrid Bergman and Yves Montand, who both give good performances as well, but his performance is what really stands out in Goodbye Again and makes it worth seeing.
April 4, 2013
Though well acted, especially by Ingrid Bergman, as the woman in love with the suave Yves Montand and the boyish Anthony Perkins, the melodrama has not aged well kinda like a 'graduate' knock-off.
February 28, 2013
Dreadfully acted melodrama set in Paris where fickle Yves Montand lets down 40 year old Ingrid Bergman down romantically time and time again so she takes up with younger American Anthony Perkins causing gossip and mild scandal. Substandard performances all around and flatly directed with no dramatic tension to speak of or to make you care. Life amongst the Parisian elite proves boring entertainment and all the stars were at the top óf their game which says it all about why this film was made!
August 9, 2012
This movie is SO good!!
June 22, 2012
The movie version of "Do you like Brahms" the novel by Francoise Sagan.
Ingrid Bergman in a touching performance of a middle aged woman torn between her love to her playboy lover of 5 years and a sensitive younger man who gives her the love and attention she wants and needs.

With the charming Yves Montand as the older lover and a somewhat nervous and uncertain in himself Anthony Perkins as the younger man.

Recommended.
½ January 16, 2012
I can imagine that in 1961 this would have not been a particularly popular film. It was forward thinking for it's time and was made years before the feminist movement got off the ground. And culturally we only now-50 years later-are exploring acceptance of the older woman-younger man dynamic. Its asks the viewer the question...do women have the right to conduct themselves the same way men have since the dawn of time? Also it addresses emotional/ psychological issues of aging and relationships in a very real way.
In spite of flawed performances, i found myself gripped, angst ridden, angry at the heroine's philandering significant other and at one point uttering a "hell no!" after a particularly ugly argument. Ingrid bergman played her role perfectly as a successful businesswoman living and working in Paris. Anthony Perkins, while adorable, played his role a the infatuated son of a wealthy client to the point of overplaying. He did make the relationship dynamic believable to some degree...er...as well as possible given the script - i did find myself wondering what she saw in him. Yves Montand was also perfect--mature, and believable in his flawed love and miserably tortured in the company of his younger women except for the sex part.
And i would be remiss in not mentioning thatr there was one scene where a young Diahan Carol lit up---no torched the screen!

Recommended for teen object lessons, those interested in the history od feminism, and people who understand that happily ever after is a myth.
½ January 15, 2012
great movie. definitely ahead of its time.
October 11, 2011
a bit long but good, ingrid berman and anthony perkins are both excellent
½ March 28, 2011
I accused you of avoiding your dutty as a human being. I accuse you of letting love go by, of neglecting your dutty to be happy, of living under resignation. You should be sentenced to death, you will be sentenced to solitude. The worst sentence, to alone and without love.
½ November 23, 2010
This movie is like an older and non-humorous version of The Graduate with actors who were more well known at the time. I think both Bergman and Perkins give good performances. The problem is that the movie is very predictable and a little too long. It's an alright movie, but it could have been a lot better.
½ October 25, 2010
Definately a cute movie. Everything Bergman is in, is spectacular, and although this was a bit silly at times (Perkins plays his character very well but I have to admit, it was irritating), it was still a well done movie. Instead of focusing on whirlwind romances, this shows the sadness of a relationship going wrong and the rebound that also goes wrong, although it doesn't go wrong because of cheating or anything particularly bad. Anyways, this is something I could watch again
October 23, 2010
vonc es in nazeli quyr?
jjnxn
October 19, 2010
High class soap opera with Ingrid, stylishly dressed and becomingly coiffured, looking wonderful. She of course gives the best performance with Perkins a close second. The main problem is that her longing for Montand, a stolid lout, is puzzling. In a sign of how the times have changed the enchanting beautiful Ingrid, who states that she is forty, considers herself old and seems desperately afraid of being alone and is willing to settle for crumbs from a man whom she is clearly to good for. Still as these sort of pictures go this is a fine diversion. Jessie Royce Landis is fun in a small part as Tony's mother.
½ September 21, 2010
Bergman was great. Perkins bothered me... He overacts I think.
September 18, 2010
I've seen this movie about 100x since I was 13 years old. When I was younger, I used to think that Anthony Perkins was so romantic and wonderful in this film. And, while his performance is good, his character has grown less heroic and more annoying as I've watched the film as an adult. Ingrid Bergman is amazing and Yves Montand is the worst kind of egotistical cad and plays it so well, I almost forget to hate him. All in all a mediocre film but with interesting performances which are well worth watching.
June 20, 2010
Goodbye Again (1961) -- [6.0] -- Tired of her boyfriend's sexual indiscretions, Ingrid Bergman reluctantly begins an affair with a much younger man (Anthony Perkins). The relationship is doomed from the start, of course, and everything ends in tears. Bergman is uncharacteristically manic. There's a nice scene where she's crying behind the wheel and turns on the windshield wipers to see better, even though it's not raining. When she realizes what she's done, her sobbing turns to laughter. It's another good performance from one of cinema's loveliest leading ladies. Director Anatole Litvak indulges in conventions of the time, including several montages and a way-too-groovy '60s soundtrack. It takes an irritatingly long time for Bergman and Perkins to finally hook up and the ending yields little surprise, but if you're a fan of the leads, "Goodbye Again" is worth a look.