Goon: Last of the Enforcers Reviews

• Nov 15, 2020

A fun but unnecessary game this comedy is much better and fun than it should be but it's more of the same.

• Aug 18, 2020

As a Canadian, I can truly appreciate this film and what it is trying to get across. Sean William Scott is amazing as Doug Glatt yet again. His moronic innocence coupled with his minimal understanding of everything occurring in his life is well balanced with the heart inputted into the role. The story of an aging superstar in a world where youth is always being pushed harder is well done in this film. Liev Schreiber re-enacting his role as the even older Ross Rhea was masterfully done. Showcasing the dangers of being an enforcer, concussions and severe injuries, allows for the actors to dig deeper into their characters and allow the audience to learn new things about these entities. The gore was a bit much, especially the end fight between Glatt and Cain. The ice looked like several dismembered bodies should have been present, not two men simply punching one another for 5 minutes. Adding the dynamic of the father-son rivalry was well acted, but the execution was lacking at times. I did not know what the elder Cain's accomplishments really were with the Highlanders nor did I understand his motivation for many of his decisions. The Doug/Eva love story was so heartwarming and well done. Truly enjoyed seeing them root for one another and be so supportive of each other's ambitions. This is a hilarious, violent, gory, vulgar and sensitive movie about love, life, family and friendship. Definite recommend for my fellow Canadians and all hockey lovers young and old.

• Apr 17, 2020

These movies are so underrated. Obviously not a piece of artistic cinema, but if you go into a movie like this, taking it for what it is, you'll definitely enjoy both of them. They're funny, and you'll definitely never get bored, a great way to pass 2 hours, for sure.

• Apr 12, 2020

This movie was unwatchable. The original Goon was unrealistic, but entertaining. This one is just bad. I should have known after the 10th F bomb in the first minute, that the writers were clueless. They could have done something interesting with Doug working in insurance, but that never went anywhere. I stopped watching about midway.

• Apr 01, 2020

I was worried this was going to full under the bracket of bad sequels. Thankfully, it doesn't. For me, 'Goon: Last of the Enforcers' is on the same level as its predecessor. This one does have a change of vibe to it though, it's much more grounded. I think that actually works in its favour, usually these type of follow-up films are just cheap imitations of the preceding production. They tried something slightly different and I think it came out well. With all that noted, there's still comedy to be had. Admittedly not all of it comes to proper fruition, for example the addition of TJ Miller doesn't work - it felt like a copycat of Pepper Brooks from 'DodgeBall'. Also not sure why there was more focus on the Stevenson character. Seann William Scott again leads effectively. Wyatt Russell and Callum Keith Rennie are new to the cast here, I enjoyed both of them. Glad this turned out good.

• Feb 10, 2020

Tried to have a bit of a story and humour, but it was too silly for its own good. Pacing was okay, but gore was unnecessary and distracting. It could have focused a bit more on characters like the original and not tried so hard with all the silly humour and gore.

• Dec 03, 2019

Not great. Thought it could have been wrapped up much better based on it being titled "last of the enforcers". Could have done without the pregnancy angle; too cliche. Kid and Eva didn't even really get much airtime- had a bit of a Rocky moment where she told him to get back out there. Wouldn't go out of my way to watch it.

• Sep 11, 2019

Not nearly as good at the first Goon, but still leaps and bounds better than most sports comedies.

• Daniel P Super Reviewer
    Jul 19, 2019

A real let-down: I liked how it built its story around the way hockey enforcers' careers tend to end badly, but unfortunately the movie had none of the charm of the first volume.

• Apr 19, 2019

Bad movie, nowhere near as good as the original. Way overboard swearing and crude jokes. Felt like a clunky low budget production. Seems like it's trying to be a Slapshot clone but fails miserably.