Gor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gor Reviews

½ July 14, 2015
Could it be possible this was the inspiration for LARPing? The battle scenes certain give the possibility credence.
½ December 19, 2014
GOR is about a nerdy professor (Urbano Barberini) who inadvertently triggers a magic ring that teleports him to Gor, a fantastical land plagued by evil rulers and bad costume designers. Professor Tarl (yes Tarl, as in Karl with a "T"...very sci-fi) is forced to grow a pair and free the enslaved masses from the evil despot Sarm (that's Sam with an "R" thrown in for good measure.) Sarm is played by Oliver Reed. Oliver Reed looks fabuulooooousss. I have no idea why he's in this film, but I will say that the man earns his paycheck. He delivers his lines as if they were from a decent script in a good movie. As if GOR was being filmed by a competent director. As if he was sharing screen time with actors as professional and talented as himself.

Okay. Jack Palance is also in the flick...for about three minutes, apparently fulfilling some minimal obligation required by his contract. I haven't mentioned Jack Palance before this because, despite his hefty billing in the opening credits, he's about as essential to this movie as Jack the Ripper. Palance makes his first appearance just before the end credits. His storyline is so tangential, I'm inclined to think it was spliced onto GOR from another movie. But it can't have been, I guess, because a few of the actors from the beginning of the film are standing next to him.

GOR is directed by Fritz Kiersch - and by "directed" I mean Kiersch likely sat behind the camera, perhaps even while it was on. I say this to distinguish Kiersch from someone who exhibits talent.
November 11, 2014
One of the lamest sci-fi movies I've seen. A mild-mannered teacher wears a ring left to him by his father and transports to another world, Gor, where medieval times prevail. He must become a fierce warrior to save the village he was welcomed into. Ho, hum. Rebecca Ferratti is the best set piece in the movie.
June 15, 2014
From the director of "Tuff Turff" comes this ridicule and low budget action sci-fi fantasy film, which is apparently based on a series of controversial novels. Released the same year as "Evil Dead II", this film is almost the same premiss as "Army of Darkness," with a man from modern times finding himself transported to a time of swords and sorcery. However, this setting is more "Beastmaster" than "Excalibur". With a no-name cast, with the exception of Jack Palance and Oliver Reed in bit parts (and Arnold Vosloo if you look fast), terrible production values, an awful script, there really isn't much to recommend here. When I saw the description and images on Netflix, I was hoping for more of a Max Max, warriors of the wasteland type of film, but this Conan wannabe was just lame. Only worth watching for ironic camp value.
½ December 15, 2013
Terrible. Did not represent the first Gor story, even with out the slavery sub theme, at all.
June 19, 2013
Absolutely terrible. A cinematic latrine. The costumes are ridiculous, the characters are all idiots, The directing is horrendous, and most of the acting is atrocious and unbelievable.
April 7, 2013
I've watched this movie about 3 or 4 times and it just gets crazier ever time. Oliver Reed as Sarm is just classic B-movie acting: completely over the top! Only strange part is that I could never figure out why Jack Palance is even it and at the very end; however, I've never seen the sequel (and, yes, there is one ...)
½ January 26, 2013
I am convinced no film techniques or writing was done for this film, I don't know what happen or what was going on, but it is bad, so very very bad.
½ January 6, 2013
College professor is transmitted to the alternate dimension of Gor where he becomes a saviour for a race of slaves. Rebecca Ferratti is notable as a comrade in arms. Had the distinction of being panned by both moviegoers and fans of the novel. Jack Palance appears in the closing scene to set the stage for a sequel.
½ November 13, 2012

Interpretive dancing and 80's hair cuts. Generic Conan, Ferratti was hotter then sin, though. Fritz Kiersch directed the first CHILDREN OF THE CORN.
½ November 1, 2012
Just plain horrible on possibly every level.
October 27, 2012
John Norman's Gor from the Cannon Group has a college professor moved to a sword and sorcery counter Earth. I liked how the professor's digital Casio calculator watch both helped save his group but also nearly got them into danger with barbarians.
September 8, 2012
Rebecca Feratti - Playboy Bunny
August 22, 2012
There are great movies. There are good movies. There are bad movies - and then, there's Gor, a flick so horrid it required a few nights off in between segments before this reviewer could complete it. Wow. Where to start? How about the lead actor? Dreadful. How about the action? Never will you see slower or weaker sword battles. Pathetic. How about Oliver Reed as the lead baddie? No doubt drunk. Any redeeming cheese factor grew moldy in a hurry - as getting to the end of this one literally became a chore. Mission accomplished. Pure garbage. Gor is a bore.
May 31, 2012
Hillarious in an unintentional sort of way of course. Too much Cabbage, not enough Jack Palance.
½ January 22, 2012
Where is the home stone! ...I'm only a pleasure slave :'(
October 26, 2011
½ November 7, 2010
A prime example of the low-budget macho male escapist fantasy action films that populated the 1980's after the success of the superior "Conan the Barbarian", replete with scantily clad women and swords. "Ator the Fighting Eagle" and "The Sword and the Sorcerer" are also solid examples of the sub-genre. Don't get me wrong - I love some of these movies, like "Krull" and "Beastmaster", but it's not unfair to say that most of them were pretty terrible. This one is based on the Gor novels of John Norman, focusing on the (mis)adventures of Tarl Cabot, a contemporary American who finds himself transported to Gor (a la John Carter), where he runs afoul of Sarm (played by Oliver Reed in a really ridiculous helmet and over-acting his rear off). Ending up with some of the local inhabitants, they bring Cabot along though he appears to be almost completely inept and anything he accomplishes is in spite of himself, rather than because of himself. Paul L. (Bluto) Smith co-stars, as does Playboy Playmate Rebecca Ferratti, playing the part of the sexually-objectified woman sidekick. Third-billed Jack Palance appears in all of 5 minutes of the film as a set-up for its sequel. Overdubbing, bad acting, and positively sedentary action scenes abound. Nothing redeeming here, whatsoever. Woodchuck sez, "Avoid!"