The Gorilla Reviews

• Mar 17, 2017

I Love this movie...campy horror ...well is it really a horror...more suspense! The Ritz Brothers are a HoOT...very popular at the time ...Please remember this movie was released in 1939... Ahhh what a time that must of been...lastly...the Real Dracula stars also...well not as Dracula .... ??

• Greg S Super Reviewer
    Jun 11, 2014

A wealthy man hires three cowardly detectives (the Ritz Brothers) to protect him from a killer known as the Gorilla (who may be an actual gorilla). The Ritz Brothers are a second-rate comedy team, but this old dark house comedy is light and busy enough to provide some small entertainment.

• Oct 14, 2013

Enjoyable Enough Romp--A great little slapstick knock about!!

Enjoyable Enough Romp--A great little slapstick knock about!!

• Mar 25, 2013

A wealthy insurance broker is threatened and hires a trio of whacky private detectives to protect him. A weak early spoof with some curious casting choices but some elements that qualify The Gorilla as an early guilty pleasure. However, the comedy of The Ritz Brothers remains highly outdated and dull.

• Feb 25, 2013

The Ritz Brothers are comedic and you can't help but compare them to the 3 Stooges! Bela Lugosi also stars in a small role as the butler!

• Bruce B Super Reviewer
    May 22, 2012

This film was far more then I expected. From the Sons of Kong 10 Movie Collection, Here I thought it would be another Jungle movie filmed before 1940 a copy cat of the so many others in that time frame. I was so wrong, what you have here is a Mystery / Comedy. Its enjoyable to say the least. There is a 3 man comedy team in this one that is right up there with the three stooges, just very surprised I never saw more of these three. There are people being murdered in the city and the blame seems to fall on a gorilla, but is he really the one. 4 Stars for this one, quite high for a film from 1939

• Mar 11, 2012

It's a lot of fun and the characters are decent but the 3 comedy detectives feel unnecessary to the story beyond being comic relief. It's still pretty interesting and a fun film to watch.

• Dec 13, 2011

The Gorilla gives viewers a perfect blend of suspense, classic horror, and Ritz Brothers unique brand of comedy. Bela Lugosi once again shows his range as a horror icon in this quirky romp. I recommend this film to all old fashion horror enthusiasts.

• Dec 02, 2011

Bela Lugosi makes the movie!!

Bela Lugosi makes the movie!!

• Aug 16, 2011

The Gorilla tries to be scary, funny, and clever - it is none of these.

The Gorilla tries to be scary, funny, and clever - it is none of these.