Gory Gory Hallelujah - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gory Gory Hallelujah Reviews

October 18, 2008
Wait... it get's weirder.
July 20, 2008
It all depends on what you're looking for. This is hilarious. Some poor acting, but the premise and the action are awesome. I mean, just read the synopsis - it says it all.
½ March 13, 2008
Horrible. Don't waste your time.
February 26, 2008
How can a movie about crazy bunch of bad actors (including a black man, a Jew, a crazy woman, and a hippie-bisexual guy) who tried out for the part of Elvis in a play then went on a road trip together and got into a bar fight and stranded in a backwards town and turned into zombies (and sung and danced) NOT be good? This is how. Honestly, I feel asleep. There were no zombies until the last bit of this travesty and the end musical number (which I woke up for) was awful. One star because this could have been awesome zombie movie camp. It was a very disappointing film.
July 19, 2007
if your looking for a b movie with zombies, elvis, jesus, and a giant magical glowing wand penis. this is it- i enjoyed it
June 14, 2007
You know, I have a lot of tolerance for REALLY bad horror movies.... but this was nearing the "I can't watch this anymore" point haha. I think the main problem was the acting. They definitely cast "theatre" people. WAY too over the top. and the Zombie makeup? oh dear god shoot meeeeeee, green face paint with black raccoon eyes. ouch.
½ June 13, 2007
Gory! Gory! Hallejulah is clearly a B-Movie; I think if you combine the two cult classic movies "Little Shop of Horrors" and those "Night of the Living Dead Movies" into one movie, then add the blatant "black and white" satire made famous by John Waters (movies like "Pink Flamingo"; "Hairspray"; and "Polyester", you have a great feel for what the vibe of this movie.

The movie begins nicely defining the character's clearly and their road trip journey that find's them trapped in a sort of small minded "Pleasantville" back-ass backwards town called "Jackville" where one of the four protagonists on the road trip (all who met at an audition for the role of Jesus in "the Greatest Movie Ever" and being rejected opted to travel to New York City to audition for Jesus Christ Superstar-->the other three protagonists were a *laughs* a militant African American with an Islamic name--Raheem--; a Jewish man whose parents reside in New Jersey; and a free spirited woman with Lesbian tendencies who carries a vibrator in her purse), a bi-sexual hippie is set up in a "sting" by Deputy Joe who acted like an interest sodomite when he met him in the urinal at "the gas station."

The movie has hilarious aspects of silly humor where small-town USA is portrayed as dumb ignorant and religiously blind in their Christian ideals used to justify their hypnotised and brainwashed spirits by Capitalism.

Although I protest the paradoxically closeminded interpretation of Small Town people, it serves as poetic justice to movie directors in the beginning of cinema who portrayed African Americans as dumb, corrupt sexual predators and animals as shown in early pro-KKK movies such as "Birth of a Nation", a movie that our country's president at the time, Woodrow Wilson applauded.

Although the middle drags during the post court scene where the four protagonists are separated and three are tricked into testifying against the Bi-Sexual Hippie character, ends in a sort of hypnotic and keen low budget surreality that merges the humor with the satire, and the very darkness of existence.

All in all, you should watch this when you are in a poetically open-natured mood.

The dialogue is witty, humorous, silly in a satirical manner, very reminiscent of John Waters.

This is also a very colorful movie, nicely lit in a daydreamatic, kaleidoscopic sense. Ultimately, this movie's simplicity divides into much deeper meanings. It's a little overly "out there" at the end, but well worth humoring.

From the "Gore" there is a wonderful musical piece that is silly, sweet, stupid in a stupendously sublime ending that unites the protagonists and antagonists: The movie is unique in that it ends uniting both good and bad.

Quite a unique yin/yang metaphor and quite an intriguing movie to enjoy.
December 11, 2006
i would like to see this
½ December 10, 2006
Quite a poor movie to say the least..... Certainly not worth the time to watch it.