Gosford Park Reviews

• Mar 23, 2021

I wanted to love this movie. There are tons of notable actors & actresses, it got plenty of awards recognition & its story was supposed to be the best of the year according to its Oscar win. I even hesitate to say this because it's easier to believe that I just didn't get it, but for me there were only a few characters whose story I could remember when they weren't the focus of the scene being played. I appreciate ensemble casts but this one had so many different people and had Altman's trademark "let them all talk at the same time" thing going on that when they finally did focus in on specific conversations they just didn't carry any weight for me. In retrospect one can see that the trivial conversations/subplots were meant to cast suspicion on the characters but they just did not come close to pulling that off for me as I found myself not caring for even the briefest moment about the inheritance & business proposal issues. Another of Altman's trademarks worked against him here in that this was a very plot-motivated movie & yet all of the focus was on rather banal interactions; one would need to remember what was said & who said it for them to tie into the actual story, but you're never given a reason to do so. None of the stellar actors in the movie were given enough screen time to stand out & I find it bizarre that two of them were given Oscar nominations as they appeared to not need to try very hard for their roles as posh old British people. Phillippe didn't belong in the cast & superior actors' roles were minimized in favor of his ultimately useless character. Ultimately the movie was fine, just nowhere near the level of greatness I had been anticipating.

• Mar 05, 2021

Layers upon layers, from start to finish, in the best style of cinematic story-telling, Altman provides the ultimate take on the "English country house murder mystery." He out-Christies Christie, while providing a panorama of terrific British actors, both upstairs and down. One of my favorite movies ever!

• Jan 21, 2021

Thre were way too many characters in the movie to follow.

Thre were way too many characters in the movie to follow.

• Dec 26, 2020

The end made it "more than the sum of its parts", a commentary on the evils of aristocracy (which the murdered patriarch represents vis-a-vie his myriad employees that he sexually exploited and their children whom he fathered but took no responsibility for). But the movie was slow and not riveting.

• Nov 23, 2020

One of the best murder mysteries in 100 years. It requires patience, but that's because unlike other murder mysteries it spends more time building hilarious and fascinating relationships and predicaments between characters. Definitely one of the more relationship-enriched murder mysteries. So if you don't mind some intellectual mining and waiting a bit longer for the big bang, then you'll love this.

• Nov 03, 2020

It might have an amazing cast but god... those were 2 hours and 17 minutes of my life i will never get back. So slow... so BORING.

• Aug 30, 2020

Apart from one miss-step of the actor playing Lord Standish (some z grade advert actor glaringly out of his depth but thankfully not in this much) you won't find a more talented ensemble cast in a period piece than Gosford Park.

• Jul 02, 2020

I have never been more board by a mystery in my life.

I have never been more board by a mystery in my life.

• May 31, 2020

The sheer number and calibur of the ensemble is worthy of viewing. Perhaps not the same for the solution to the mystery itself

• Jan 27, 2020

Wonderful period piece. Well acted, scripted and shot. Plus, we have Jeremy Northam singing which will break your heart (if you have one).