The Gospel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Gospel Reviews

August 20, 2015
The movies quite bad but the music is very good.
March 8, 2013
it was pretty good for a christian wibe, near to tyler perry's laughs but still yet so far
December 28, 2012
Could be good. I'll try it.
December 7, 2012
Worth finding and watching!
November 7, 2012
I love this movie, it is very INSPIRATIONAL. It will touch your heart. A FOOT-STOMPING, HAND-CLAPPING GOOD TIME.
½ October 26, 2012
Faith-based films are difficult. Rarely are they as well made as 'The Mission' or 'The Passion', but they can pack an emotional punch despite their smaller budgets (see also, 'Fireproof' and 'Facing the Giants'). This film tries to do too much. It takes the prodigal son approach to the story, but tries to tie in too many subplots that the audience just gets lost in the mess. Then it tries to cram a bunch of gospel numbers in, but never gives an emotional payoff. Sure, it's really nice to see the likes of Yolanda Adams and Martha Munizzi on screen with actors like Boris Kodjoe (Resident Evil: Afterlife) and Idris Elba (Prometheus), but their presence doesn't have a solid grounding. It's almost as if the producers said, "Let's throw together a generic movie, but have a few well-known gospel singers in the mix." That's essentially what the movie boils down to. There are some good messages about forgiveness and ministry thrown in there for good measure, but it never amounts to anything truly substantive.
September 7, 2012
the guys were pretty hot.....movie was ehh.....
August 20, 2012
Uplifting movie. The music is awesome.
August 13, 2012
The only thing about this movie that is even remotely interesting is the music, and even that is nothing I haven't seen before. This is every other "preacher's kid gone astray" movie that's ever been made with almost zero variations from the formula. I made it through about an hour and 15 minutes, but I just could not do it any more. I was so bored.
April 13, 2012
This film has some amazing music in it, and a pretty good message. Just not quite put together as well as I would have liked.
January 5, 2012
Really enjoyed this movie
November 17, 2011
Modern day take on the prodigal son story.
June 19, 2011
February 24, 2011
There are a lot of good Christian movies out there, but this just isn't one of them. Most people were praising the music, but me, I on the other thought the songs dragged the movie on and didn't really add anything. I did appreciate this films good intentions, but the film is cliche ridden, the acting is wooden, the characters were boring and uninteresting, and the film tries to draw parallels to the Bible story of the Prodigal Son, but it fails to be as engaging. The ending does make the film somewhat better, but not by much. The film is slow and doesn't actually use that slow to build up anything like character development or suspense. What we're left with is a well intended but shaky attempt at Christian cinema.
½ January 22, 2011
Despite the terrific musical numbers, The Gospel replaces the important themes it could have touched on with dull cliches.
½ January 14, 2011
September 3, 2010
Ok story and acting, but at least half of it is just one big music video, so it kind of felt like they were trying to fill space for a story with not too much to it.
March 19, 2010
very good movie i love it i would advise any one to watch it
½ February 6, 2010
Really enjoyed this movie.
½ January 27, 2010
good movie..inspiring. boris' singing was really good..lol