Il Vangelo Secondo Matteo (The Gospel According to St. Matthew) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Il Vangelo Secondo Matteo (The Gospel According to St. Matthew) Reviews

May 23, 2016
Pasolin's absorbing, neo-realist telling of the life of Christ; a stark and fascinating contrast to some of the more pompous, over-indulgent Hollywood attempts of the time and ultimately closer in spirit to its central figure - humble, sincere and profound. Enrique Irazoqui's Jesus is less an ethereal, otherworldly being and more a fiery, passionate Marxist angered by social injustice and troubled by his own destiny whilst Pasolini simply allows for the landscape of post-war Italy to stand in for 1st century Judea to great effect. A worthy and movingly human biblical drama.
August 1, 2015
Director Pasolini utilizes an intricate, yet plain and humble aesthetic as well as superb performances from his cast of non-actors to create an exceedingly fundamental treatment of Gospel that is as graceful, modern, and thoughtful as any other.
April 25, 2015
I respect that the film doesn't use anything that isn't in the book of Matthew, but even in strictly following the text there is interpretation, and this film paints an extremely cold, brooding, even resentful picture of the Jesus that I understand to love all more than we can comprehend.
April 1, 2015
Una belleza de película que se aleja de toda la parafernalia que por lo general se muestran en este tipo de producciones.
½ November 9, 2014
Every frame is beautiful, sometimes achingly so, and the score is just divine but man this goes on forever. Its well directed,camera angled, and composed, and the chosen text and actors does make for a beautiful poem of a film, but its also pretty boring half of the time, mercilessly pontifying, that or people just walk in silence for a very longtime, and very often. So, a masterpiece? Most definitely. Did i enjoy it? Meh. Beauty can take its time, but to an extend, if its not as perfect as it pretends, it becomes artistic vanity. I have to say though, i love a jesus movie made by an atheist. This jesus dude says some very good stuff but lots of utter destructive nonsense (one tree got no fruit for him, so he curses it forever ? STFU, Gee...), and this movie conveys well these contradictions, by letting them sound dead serious, against an eery wind that underlines the creepiness of the source material in a visual odyssey thats boring but leaves a good mark on the minds eye.
½ July 31, 2014
Forte, bello, ottimo !
July 15, 2014
I like the fact that this film was made under tight budget -- it reflected on the film and it being devoid of expensive production makes it more in tune with the period.
My favorite part would of course be its epilogue -- when Jesus was to ascend to heaven. All people from different walks of life was seen as running towards him, and I felt like i was one of them.
½ June 19, 2014
Pretty sure if he was Jesus, he wouldn't have had a unibrow.
Just like reading Matthew, with moving pictures.
One of the best uses of music in film, ever.
March 27, 2014
I really enjoyed this textually faithful, yet artistic film of the life of my Lord. Very moving and satisfying.
½ March 27, 2014
The cinematography is remarkable and takes in many scenes the position of a third person telling the story. The intensely textual and dramaturgic reference to the biblical model, the amateurish performances of the actors and the waive of any pathos gives the film a strong naturalistic nuance. Jesus is less the son of god, but more an ideological fighter who gives radical speeches. But, Pasolini does not demystify the figure of Christ, nor does he question the set dogmas of the official church. He rather accentuates the social facets of Jesus' life and work and gives it an unforeseen political smack The irony of this film is the director was an avowed radical, left-wing Marxist. He despised capitalism, America, and religion... opiate of the masses. Yet so moved was he by the way, the light, and the life of Jesus, that Pasolini ends up making what will probably be the most simple, eloquent, and honest cinematic expression of faith in God. Only Bach and Michaelangelo have left us something more beautiful. The story goes that Pasolini was stuck in a hotel for sometime and randomly read St Matthew's gospel to pass the time. He realized Jesus was acceptable to Marxism. He wisely used only the words of the gospel, punctuated by lingering and loving closeups, with the magnificent soundtrack of silence and nature. This movie belongs in that small, rare circle of films of intelligence, faith, and passion, by Bresson, Dreyer, and Bergman.
March 24, 2014
I do not know if I saw the same movie that all critics acclaim. Irazoqui took from Passolini's direction, acts a stronger Jesus and rude psychologically, everything that Passolini shows is very objetive . On the other hand, I think the film need more vision, best places and more interaction.
½ March 17, 2014
A film that may seem like a series of scenes poorly connected to each other, but actually the director's goal was to mantain the focus on the subject, the gospel, keeping the viewer's attention fixed on the words of Christ and its meaning. the only thing added is an extremely humble look, obtained through places and faces.
March 1, 2014
The dialogue is straight from the book of Matthew, and the style has a quiet, matter-of-fact quality to it, even when depicting miracles. This movie won't please a lot of people, but that's part of what makes it great.
February 14, 2014
Excellent film that strips the Gospel movie genre down to its bones. The book IS the script and the location and camera work powerful stuff!
January 2, 2014
Derek Cianfrance (director of Blue Valentine) says:
"I saw that movie for the first time when I was 23 years old. I'd gone to church every Sunday and catechism every week for my whole childhood, but I never paid attention; I was always daydreaming in church -- and all of a sudden I went to go see this movie, and I knew everything in the movie. I guess all of my Catholic upbringing I had absorbed through some sort of osmosis. Here was this movie which was this Biblical story which was told so beautifully: the cinema was so simple and so beautiful. He had, you know, Odetta playing "Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child" as the three wise men found Mary and Joseph and baby Jesus. It was, you know... I started sweating while I was watching the movie. The whole left side of my body went numb while I was watching, and I was sure that I was having a heart attack. It was all that I could do -- you know, I didn't want to because it was the greatest movie I'd ever seen -- but it was all I could do to crawl out of the movie theater and knock on the projectionist's door and ask him if I could call my girlfriend. I called my girlfriend and told her I thought I was dying, 'cause I was seeing the greatest movie I'd ever seen, and she showed up. I remember it had been snowing in Colorado and she had all this dirty snow on the roof of her car and I was eating all this dirty snow because my mouth was just parched. And I remember being in the emergency room and thinking that when the doctor walks through, if he looked like Jesus from The Gospel According to St. Matthew, I knew that meant I was dead. Fortunately the guy didn't look anything like Jesus. "
December 7, 2013
Visually stunning, Biblically accurate.
November 19, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
½ April 11, 2013
The rare film based on the Bible that doesn't hit you over the head with a religious message.
March 26, 2013
One of Pier Paolo Pasolini's masterworks. Here, the Italian filmmaker tells the gospel according to St. Matthew in a way that counters the usual colossal films based on the sacred scriptures with a more simplistic, bare style that brings the figure of Christ down to earth and the majesty of the story to a more human level. The result is highly moral, carefully photographed and poetic as well as an ambitious and original subjective portrayal of a figure that has been brought to the screen time and time again. A fulfilling experience throughout.