Gothika - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gothika Reviews

½ October 10, 2014
Berry is a very good actress and the best special effect on this film. Good screenplay with twist and turns that makes this film better. What makes this film more stupid is the tittle that nobody understand.
September 15, 2014
Ultimately, pretty poor, still ticks a few of my boxes though.
September 4, 2014
I was intrigued at what could possibly be the ending - and it was a terrible ending...
August 5, 2014
June 30, 2014
a great spine tingling psychological thriller. well worth a watch.
June 18, 2014
Despite the seemingly bad reviews this is one of my favorite intellectual thrillers. Horror? Not really. Continuity is sporadic but I feel that adds to the dark, confused, insanity theme. Great gothic/grunge/industrial asylum kinda feel, good acting by Berry and Downey overcome dialog, I've easily watched this movie 10+ times. Naysayers have no imagination, dark movie lovers rejoice. The song at the end (Limp Bizkit - Behind Blue Eyes) music video was this movie and complements it amazingly.
June 7, 2014
Halle Berry and Robert Downey jr. deliver an all star performance in this unique paranormal thriller.
½ June 6, 2014
Gothika is lackluster as a horror movie, but as a mystery it's decent enough.
June 5, 2014
A few creepy moments. Nothing more.
May 28, 2014
A somewhat startling thriller with decent performances, but ultimately the silly story takes a lot away from the scares and makes you shake your head. Has promise but fades as the movies nears it's conclusion.
May 3, 2014
this is my favorite movie
March 29, 2014
Directed by Mathieu Kassovitz (La Haine (1995), The Crimson Rivers (2000) and Babylon A.D. (2008), produced by Joel Silver and Robert Zemeckis and written by Sebastian Gutierrez (Snakes on a Plane (2006)), this dark horror film has some good ideas, but it's let down by pedestrian plotting and derivative scares, despite the best efforts of the cast, who are wasted in this supernatural thriller. Psychiatrist Dr. Miranda Grey (Halle Berry) works at a mental hospital, and while driving home one night, is possessed by a ghost. When she wakes up, she's restrained in the mental hospital where she works, and is told by Dr. Pete Graham (Robert Downey, Jr.) that she murdered her husband Douglas (Charles S. Dutton). Miranda can't believe this accusation, as she can't remember it. She's forced to conform to hospital life, which means bonding with her former patient Chloe Sava (PenÚlope Cruz). But, one night, Miranda witnesses something happening to Chloe, which could explain as to why she's been banged up. Director Kassovitz seems to have had bad luck while working in Hollywood, maybe this and Babylon A.D. should convince him to stay away. It has shades of Samuel Fuller's Shock Corridor (1964), and this is a film which should have been made 40 years previously, as it might have been better.
March 23, 2014
Sloppy in places, but a chilling, thrilling, who dun it mystery of killings.
½ February 10, 2014
Non. Quand personne ne fait d'efforts, il n'y a pas de miracle. Gothika fait partie de la caste des films si fades, si hallucinants de mediocrite qu'il est impossible de defendre une telle entreprise morte-nee. Entre une realisation qui multiplie les jump scares, des acteurs catastrophiques (Halle Berry et Penelope Cruz, c'est comme d'habitude, Charles S. Dutton & Robert Downey Jr., c'est plus ennuyeux), un scenario scandaleusement idiot, des SFX dignes des pires DTV 90's et une musique omnipresente et inaudible, Gothika se range directement dans la fosse a purin.
½ February 2, 2014
Halle Berry outdid herself. This psychological thriller was creepy, engrossing, and ten years later, very memorable.
January 14, 2014
A very strange movie. However, I liked the suspense throughout, although some parts were left completely unexplained which was a little disappointing. Some parts I just found stupid A different idea but the movie was dark and quite depressing. A happier ending but not something I would like to watch again.
January 2, 2014
Interesting B movie directed by the talented French director Mathieu Kassovitz. it's nothing tremendously new but it works ok.
½ November 6, 2013
I can understand why this movie is bad, i mean, my God is it bad. But my brain finds this movie highly watchable and often a guilty pleasure. Dialogue is bad, but entertaining, performances are good, the story is convulted but you don't care. The characters are stupid but you laugh at that instead of feeling bad. And you got to admit that the ambience and atmosphere of the movie are well done...guess i like the blue color here and some of the darkness too. Also, the story development, although clumsy, is pretty interesting and comes to a somewhat fitting climax.
All in this movie is wrong, but i like it that way here. I don't know, this movie just turns my brain off and i kinda enjoy it, but i still know it's bad and feels overlong (and it only runs for an hour and a half).
I guess that the guilty pleasures of some people are unpredictible.
½ November 1, 2013
Gothika, while not a good film, it is not horrendous either, and even though the development is all messed up, it has some interesting plot, concepts and great acting. Probably underrated, probably not. Give it a try.
October 13, 2013