Gozu - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gozu Reviews

May 20, 2017
What the hell did I just watch?
½ October 23, 2015
Saying this movie is strange is not enough and your body is not ready for what this film has to offer.
½ August 9, 2015
I've always thought of this to be Miike's freaky exercise in style and unease, very much like what normally finds in the works of David Lynch.

A Yakuza is sent to a remote village to execute his partner, only to have the partner disappear and be replaced by a young woman claiming to be the gentleman in question. Nice shocker of an ending.

Recommended.
July 18, 2015
The real "O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?".Hilarious!
May 31, 2015
Takashi Miike's masterpiece of surrealism is not only one of the strangest films ever made, it is unsettlingly human. This dark absurdist film owes a great deal to David Lynch, but manages to stand alone. Not to be missed.
½ October 21, 2014
Pretty Ho Hum for a Miike film!
September 16, 2014
It's rare anymore that a film leaves me saying "What the hell did I even just watch," but Gozu succeeded.

I don't even, can't even process it right now. Entertaining? Yes. Nonsensical? Almost completely.

Padded with an amusing cast of characters, Gozu demands eyes on the screen. Even as it goes through some absurd and disturbing imagery.
April 11, 2014
This is one of the best and most brilliant films ever made.
½ April 7, 2014
Its last shot reveals the film to be an elaborate prank, but all power to it - poignant, hilarious, gratuitous, I can't justify changing a single shot.
February 21, 2014
This film was definitely something for sure.
½ December 31, 2013
Utterly bizarre and thoroughly entertaining, this Miike at his maddest-probably!
½ December 26, 2013
Completely bizarre but utterly brilliant, as always!
November 21, 2013
Very surrealistic and I don't even understand what the point of the film really is. Despite not having a plot, it was still quite masterful and intuitive in terms of the filming style. A very strange film to summarize it, very much like Easerhead but less provocative and disturbing.
November 10, 2013
The Sopranos done in the style of the League of Gentlemen. A totally bizarre and surreal film which goes from black humour to just plain weird. While the story is slightly lacking the endless drream-like scenes are captivating and totally original. You are always wondering what they are going to throw at you next.
October 26, 2013
My rating for this is "What the Fuck????" I can't even..I don't even...it's as bad as Naked Lunch
October 5, 2013
Its intentions are entirely unclear, but the results are spectacularly unsettling. Miike pulls influence from noire, yakuza gangster films, hentai, classical mythology, and Lynch into a sinister and disturbingly hilarious pastiche that is at times difficult to watch but wholly impossible to forget.
September 26, 2013
what the fuck hell!!!?
September 6, 2013
Part David Lynch, part Fellini, all Takashi Miike.
½ September 3, 2013
I think I'm going to give up on trying to understand Miike Takashi.
September 2, 2013
An insane Miike film with horror and comedy throughout. Gozu is a crazy train into a strange dementia hell and it is an absolute blast! Another film to prove that Takashi Miike is one of the best directors of our time.