Grace Is Gone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Grace Is Gone Reviews

June 9, 2016
A simply melody of lost played quite elegantly in this road trip of a film as a monosyllabbic dad must find a way to talk to his own children his own way in only a short amount of time. Cusack et al only have a bare minimum to work with and yet what is accomplished is substantive. Particularly of interest is how barren the United States really is, a collection of places where people can buy things. This is an impressive thought poem and like poetry it is only for those in the mood for it.
½ October 31, 2015
not as depressing as I had expected, in fact, not at all what I had expected from this another film dealing with grief (not unlike Things We Lost...) with fine performances from El Cusack and the 2 youngsters playing his kids. Recommended.
October 14, 2015
Not a great movie, simply functional, but Cusack gives a great performance. The film somehow doesn't live up to his work.
½ August 6, 2015
A husband whose wife has died in Iraq war has to tell his daughters about her death and he is unable to do so. John Cusak brilliant acting makes the character believable and makes you feel for him. A nice sweet film. A must watch.
July 25, 2015
A good film and story which was easy to watch and understand.
June 26, 2015
one of John Cusack's best performance
June 7, 2015
Pretty sad movie, but one of John Cusack's best. The movie is about grief and dealing with it. Even if you don't like Cusack's politics (he is far left on most topics), he doesn't really bring that point of view to the film.
April 15, 2015
Like as usual one of the John Cusack's movie that was not widespread among the movie goers. The story of a loving, caring father of two, as well about his dignity. So many movies I'd seen that just deviates slightly from the same storyline and becomes a massive hit, mainly because of the actors or the filmmakers. This one was surprisingly a little fresher from the familiar theme.

It was a road-movie-drama which is very much for family audiences. About spending time together and handling grief. A little emotion, a little adventure, a little fun, gives the overall satisfaction of giving a try. I am glad for watching this little movie, which opens about the family value when you miss your loved one under your arm.

A very simple and sweet movie, merely one line story that expanded just over a 80 minute long. A fine piece of product for the tearjerker. Everybody was cool in their respective role and so the locations. Loveable movie through your whole heart, and that's exactly what I did, probably you would do the same if you're not those who always try to find flaws and bash it.

8/10
December 30, 2014
Amazing performance by the actors! Extreme heart breaking movie if your going to watch It your going to need Kleenex!
June 20, 2014
A lot of movies have dealt with women coping with the loss of a man in combat, but "Grace is Gone" does a complete gender reversal in showing a husband dealing with the death of his Army wife. It's an idea that could have worked, and by all rights it should have, but this particular film takes a lot of wrong turns starting with the basic premise.

Everything that the John Cusack character does in the film seems to be the result of some sort of mental illness, and because of that, it's very difficult to feel any sympathy towards his emotionally traumatized character. It's understandable that grief hits people all in different ways, but taking your young daughters cross country to an amusement park before telling them that their mother has been killed seems irresponsible and emotionally dangerous. Not calling your work or the kids school seems foolish as well, but maybe not quite as damaging.

Cusack is, generally speaking, one of my favorite actors but he seems out of place in this. It's a maudlin performance even before he finds out about his wife's death, and surprisingly it's not very effective. His parenting style seems odd and out-of-touch even before the road trip idea, and talking to his deceased wife via the answering machine doesn't exactly scream "stability" either.

Basically, in the ill-concieved "Grace is Gone", he does everything that you shouldn't do if this were a real-life situation. A lot of people were moved by this, but I found it to be oddly cold and emotionally distant.
½ May 11, 2014
Its a good solid movie that makes you think things just aren't that simple- for adults but they are for kids. Things can still be hard for both and there n lies the connection. There may be a different perception but down deep we an relate. Oh and the war was not that simple or polarized as people made it out to be.The Rumsfeld speech snippet about weakness was profound.
January 22, 2014
Cusack gives a quietly moving performance but the film itself is rather sluggish.
July 30, 2013
John Cusack should have been nominated for at least a Golden Globe award for his honest, realistic portrayal of a widowed father of two girls who has a hard time dealing with the loss of his Army wife. This movie is excellent.
July 30, 2013
July 6, 2013
John Cusack was excellent. Be prepared. This is a heart wrenching movie.
½ July 1, 2013
Strong performances in an interesting movie suffering from a lackluster climax.
February 11, 2013
Flat out too depressing. I can't take watching movies like this as anything casual. Sure it has its light moments but then you think of Cusack's character and what he knows, it rips at your emotions. There's a lot of character symbolism in the actors, and technically its great that nothing is spoon-fed to the audience, which leaves us sitting there, stewing in each characters emotions. Cusack gives easily his finest performance, sold the hell out of that role. The voice message scenes got me the most and were the highlights of the script and film. But good god, I'll probably never watch this movie again.
½ February 6, 2013
This wasn't a brilliant film but it's real to life and touching and John Cusack's performance alone makes this worthy of watching. With all of the big budget war movies floating around it's quite refreshing to view something like this which exists on a lower level, dealing with the direct impact of a soldier's death on her husband and two kids. Whilst the children aren't told of her death until the final scenes the news looms over the characters the entire film as Cusack's character attempts to let his daughters have one last taste of innocence. It's a bittersweet story which the final scene cements for the viewer. It can be said this lacks the punch or the guts to delve further into the issue at hand but I appreciated it for what it was.