Gracie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gracie Reviews

October 20, 2014
A good movie about believing in yourself. Gracie will win your heart. (First and only viewing - 10/19/2014)
March 7, 2014
Gracie is a very well-done sports movie, as well as being a successful drama. Schroeder is a very talented actress, and Shue is great. A lot of aspects of soccer players' lives is showcased here: the vigorous training; the dedication to the game; and the thrill of play. The overall message: if you're dedicated to something enough, you can get better and enjoy life.

And the best part about this movie: it was filmed in my town!
March 2, 2014
Not a masterpiece, but for a feel good movie it's not bad.
October 19, 2013
Some thinking has gone into this movie making it moving and emotional as the girls are sidelined. The photography is intrusive into the characters as they fight for their position. Script entitles the actors to carve out the raw emotion that kicks against the heels of life as equality gets a bashing. The only thing that lifts this from the other formulated dribble is the girl. Nibbles: Protein Shake.
September 6, 2013
un film che ho visto di notte con la babiola. fa ridere un pochino ma nel complesso trash.
June 8, 2013
"Gracie can be rousing and touching in spots, but is ultimately undone by its predictable story arc and a lack of nuance."

Could not have said it better myself.
May 31, 2013
Feel good, soccer movie. One of my favs. Gracie is in a soccer family. One tragic night, her older brother and hero dies in a traffic accident after a championship soccer game. Gracie decides she will try out for the team the following year in his honor even though no one believes in her, including her dad. This movie was written and directed by Elisabeth and Andrew Shue and is semi-autobiographical. Great story of equality and triumph against long odds. its amazing to me how some great films get bypassed. This movie will never get the credit it deserves which is a shame.
April 12, 2013
Great movie that shows that girl are just as good as guys.
½ January 25, 2013
it seems to be a semi-real story. but so much better than i thought it'd be. i like the ending that imposing gender equality in athletics and sports. yay! :)
½ December 31, 2012
In my ongoing quest to watch every sports related movie ever released, I found this one on the shelf and thought I'd give it a shot.

Loosely based on true events - this movie is about the efforts of Gracie to make it onto the boys varsity soccer team, after the tragic death of her brother, Johnny who was the star of the team.

In short, this movie is not good. Most of the acting, even from the likes of the usually solid Dermot Mulroney (see The Family Stone for a good example of his better work), is quite poor. The acting of Elisabeth Shue, the actual "Gracie" in real life, even comes off as very wooden. I would have thought her acting should be the most genuine of all given this is "her" story, but it wasn't to be.

Carly Schroeder, in the main role as Gracie, is the main positive to come from this movie. She puts forward a decent performance (or perhaps the best of a bad bunch) and I'm surprised she hasn't gone on to do more. Her character was poorly written in my opinion.

One of my major pet peeves in sporting movies is the "in-game" play looking realistic - and this movie does not really deliver the goods in that respect either. I didn't believe that when Gracie eventually hit the field, she was good enough to be out there.

If you're desperate to watch something, and you're a soccer fan, you may find this somewhat entertaining. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.
December 11, 2012
I liked it. Inspiring :D
November 27, 2012
This looks like a very good movie
November 2, 2012
I enjoyed this movie. It inspires girls and tells them that they can do anything. I cried a little bit during this film. There are parts in the film not suitable for young girls/children. Overall this movie to me has been one of the best i've seen this year.
½ October 27, 2012
Played like an ABC After School Special reject. I wasn't quite ready to see the Karate Kid's girl (Elisabeth Shue) play a middle-aged mom.
August 29, 2012
its about soccer! lol gatta see!
August 19, 2012
I love the touching true sports films. This one makes my list!!
July 12, 2012
Way too melodramatic. Ok movie. Watch the PG-13 rating. Definitely some bad language and iffy parts for kids.
July 5, 2012
I think this looks like a good empowering movie
June 22, 2012
this sounds so good, I think that having a girl play a sport that she can't, she would become a role model to all girls that want to play that sport!!!