Grande École - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Grande École Reviews

½ May 27, 2009
"el sexo es un mundo aparte", reza la vida desenfocada y ansiosa de los personajes de esta película. intrincados en relaciones peligrosas, buscando lo diferente, el miedo los apea a la comodidad del sistema por encima de su posibilidad de humanización. buena historia, un poco plana, pero con elementos para pensar. recomendable para distraerse pensando.
½ May 19, 2009
A penetrating look at contemporary French culture ie. class, race, gender and sexuality? Not quite. But there's plenty of good looking titillation going on which culminates in a soap-like mess.
½ February 14, 2009
The protagonist acts like a creep and the conclusion is very weak. I give it an extra half star for its unashamed featuring of penes.
½ February 8, 2009
The description posted here is the same paragraph that appeared on the Netflix DVD, and does NOT accurately represent the watered-down plot of the movie. The film is more about how Paul is "secretly" in love with his straight roommate. When Paul hooks up a couple times with a "beur," this serves as a personal coming-out for Paul; there is really very little that touches on an examination of "class, race, and social standing." Through Paul's attraction to Mecir, Paul begins to realize what has been painfully obvious to everyone around him since the beginning of the film: he's gay! Not a painful movie to watch, but a little frustrating; nothing special.
February 2, 2009
Bof! The film could not figure out what it wanted to be, a statement about the class system of the grandes ecoles, or a psycho-sexual drama about identity conflict -- or both! I wonder if the play was more focused. Some really tedious parts.
January 27, 2009
Its another Frech Cinema film that tackles a great story of School Boys, dealing with race, love, sexuality and emotions!
January 26, 2009
A beautiful film, and one of the best soundtracks I have heard in a long time
½ January 23, 2009
Tastefully done and professionally made. The performances are quite good, as is the score. The characters develop well and you feel for them, Good direction.
January 19, 2009
Homosexual, heterosexual, that's all finished... I'm just into YOU.
January 1, 2009
Another French movie dealing with 'common issues' like social hierarchy, races, sexuality plus a little bit 'Les Liaisons dangereuses'. Appealing but quite shallow in fact. Fair, nothing impressively new.
December 21, 2008
I rented this one for its steamy cover and the allure of naked French boarding school boys. However, they were gay.
½ October 11, 2008
French Drama about young business school students playing sex/mind games with each other. It tries to deal with some race and class issues, but not all that effectively (the cute blonde guy falls for a cute arab guy)
½ September 5, 2008
Ah French youth. So tortured. So angst-ridden. So sans résolution.
August 27, 2008
Dull film. Very tedious to watch.
½ August 9, 2008
Lots of talk, very little of much else. 20 minutes in, I started losing my interest in this film. I am a great fan of French cinema, but this one had me bored to tears. Steamy? Erotic? This movie's too preoccupied with its muddled purpose and theoretical intentions to accomplish anything beyond showing us many pretty, shallow faces that move and talk. Sometimes they appear naked, and have sex. Who cares? 45 minutes in, I shut this one off.

Truthfully I'm not sure why so many appear to love this film. Pretentious, irritating, talky and more devoid of imagination AND sensuality than any foreign movie I've seen in quite a while. Not worth your time, unless dinner conversation about Plato and social hierarchy (enough with the snobbery!) are your cup of tea. I'm baffled that homosexuality is even included in this crowded, overburdened film.

I'll admit, I did not stick around to watch the entire plot unfold (obviously). In all honesty, I decided going to bed was more worth my time than staying up to see if this storyline went anywhere more interesting.
July 27, 2008
Honestly, I don't even know what to make of this.
½ July 11, 2008
la historia esta interesante y tal, aunque a veces la excesiva grandilocuencia de los dialogos resulta cansina... aun asi tiene sus momentos de emocion y verdad.
½ June 22, 2008
A GLORIFIED SLIDE SHOW...
filled in with a lot of lackluster script, dialogue, and a movie that goes from good and interesting to a complete mess. True, the visuals were excellent, being extremely erotic without turning into sex scenes. However, at least for me, the turning point for the movie was the whole "let's make a bet...," specially because the purpose of the bet did not make sense and the two supposedly intelligent characters knew there could be no winners.

I don't recommend this one unless you have nothing better to do.
½ June 16, 2008
While this film really does tackle some complex issues, I'm almost ashamed to say that it works best when any of the six main characters is naked or about to be naked... The sexual politics of it all is far more interesting than the social/class aspects.
June 2, 2008
This French film is like an unfulfilled promise. I feel as though it could have been so much more. I was totally satisfied visually in the sexual sense; after all it was the DVD cover what made me see the movie in the first place. However I really don't see how it explains anything about French society, race, sexuality or anything at all about France. As a matter of fact it seems to me it is a highly unrealistic movie. Far from being a story about social tension between classes and races, Grande Ecole is much like an erotic film. It is centered on the mostly sexual relationships of several rich students who attend a private school and the relationship of one of the boys with an Arab - French poor young man. Just because there is a character that belongs to an immigrant family and there is lots of both hetero and homosexual sex in the movie; that doesn?t mean that it is a social examination of the real, present day, French society. The acting was good and so was the music. Everyone is super hot, so in that sense it?s not so different from Hollywood.