The Grapes of Wrath - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Grapes of Wrath Reviews

May 12, 2015
Absolutely stunning and heartfelt look into the poverty and hardships felt during the Dust Bowl and Great Depression.
March 9, 2015
#23 on AFI's Top 100 Movies: Henry Fonda + John Steinbeck = sure fire win for me.
½ February 9, 2015
A pesar de la gran historia que nos estan contando algo no termina por cuajar. El elenco es de los mejores y nos entregan actuaciones de primera.
Tristemente algo no me termino de gustar y creo que fue su ritmo y sus 15 minutos de sobra.
½ January 20, 2015
Desgarrador film que revela las miserias humanas , con unos de los mejores dialogos en la historia del cine
January 4, 2015
The notoriously conservative John Ford's only venture out of his Western-filled comfort zone is a sympathetic but radical adaption of the John Steinbeck novel. After serving time in the penitentiary, Tom Joad rejoins with family in the peak of the depression, and is shocked and angered to see the deplorable conditions his family and others are suffering through. It's a bleak plea for work and the rights of the common people, yes, but a cinematic marvel as well, with Gregg Toland perfectly capturing the wide open spaces and sparse civilization of depression era America, and John Ford's ingenious use of candle light as the sole light-source in night-time scenes. Too often, movies from this era tend to show their over-pressed message with age, but the deep focus on its characters, brilliant performances and the stern writing give The Grapes of Wrath an immediate impact that'll never fade.
January 1, 2015
It's a story of a formal troublemaker, on parole, developing a rebellious nature against the way how the law were giving harsh and unfair treatment when witnessing such actions while traveling on the road with his family as their destination is to a chance of being able to create a living for themselves during the era of the Great Depression. An average John Ford film on the road than the dirt of the west with blandly bumps and mostly the same level of enjoyment based on the characterization and the nice spirits of family time being well-performed to express what they can do as whole. (B+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
½ December 27, 2014
I honestly like the movie better than the book, but I still wish they would have included the book's ending.
½ December 13, 2014
a picture of how bitter life is in the other side of war
November 9, 2014
Finally got around to see this John Ford masterpiece. I meant to read Steinbeck's novel first but there are just too many books in front of it in the line. Can we clone Henry Fonda? That guy just oozes coolness.

Watch it along with Ken Burns' documentary, The Dust Bowl and then be happy with what you have today.
½ October 8, 2014
If it falls a bit short of the novel, that still doesn't keep this from being a socially-respondent masterpiece of classical Hollywood!
October 1, 2014
It's ok it's ok, we'll take those.
The grapes of wrath movie missed some important moments and scenes. I was very disappointed and shocked at the end of the movie. It felt unfinished and disappointing. I mostly say this because I read the book and the ending missed three very important scenes that happened in the book. The movie portrayed the themes and antagonist of the book nicely. Although, during the climax, I thought disappointed by the actors' performances. Very poor acting in the most important scene, it didn't feel natural but felt forced and rushed. For this to be such an old movie, I thought that the crew did a good job with lighting and sound. I think better Music could've been play during the climax. There were times when the music was corny, but then again I'm comparing it to the quality of the music we having movies today. The movie have more pros and cons but it still doesn't get the Ant John stamp of approval.
September 30, 2014
The Grapes of Wrath movie did a great job depicting Steinbeck's 1930's novel the Grapes of Wrath. The movie portrayed life in the Midwest during the Dust Bowl. The actors fitted their characters perfectly. Henry Ford, playing as Tom Joad, gave the character a hard essence to their personality. In the book, Tom Joad was characterized as a hard shell man which earlier on in the movie found his purpose which was to stand up for justice. Henry Fonda showed leadership skills and provided a serious tone to the character. Ma Joad (played by Jane Darwell) created the personality of a mother who was about business and the important of family. The technical elements of this movie tied it together. The vibe this movie gave off was an uneasy vibe. The uneasy vibe brought about a hatred of injustice and a fight for justice.
Zinger:
"Fella gets use to a piece of cherry pie and its hard to give it up!"
September 25, 2014
Surely one of the greatest movies ever made. With the help of John Ford's solid direction and Henry Fonda's brilliant performance, even after 70 years, The Grapes of Wrath still resonates in our heart and delivers powerful messages.
½ September 12, 2014
The film's cinematography stands out in this wonderful film. The movie follows the book fairly closely until the end when censorship forbade showing the shocking events that ended the novel. This film is definitely one of the all-time greats.
August 31, 2014
John Steinbecks's classic must read novel with Henry Fonda as Tom Joad. Set in the Midwest during the Great-Depression and massive dust storms, the Depression era migrants encounter hostile cultural-economic prejudice in migrating to the farms of California.
August 21, 2014
Grapes of Wrath is an american classic that tells a bleak tale of one family's survival as they try to find the American dream.
August 17, 2014
'Takes no nerve to do something, ain't nothin' else you can do.'
August 1, 2014
A great classic film. awesome acting.
½ July 29, 2014
(First and only viewing - 1/28/2011)