The Grass Is Greener - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Grass Is Greener Reviews

January 30, 2015
The four stars shine in this cute comedy about Grant and Kerr, financially downtrodden proprietors of a manor house in the Downton Abbey vein. They open the doors to tourists, and each becomes involved romantically (she with Mitchum, he with Simmons). If you can believe that any woman would leave Cary Grant, you'll enjoy this. Only the stagey atmosphere works against it.
½ January 17, 2015
This is the most interesting movie I have ever seen when it came down to marital issues and affairs. The way the husband handles his wife falling for another manis truly remarkable! Never seen anything like it!
June 30, 2014
This is a witty, albeit slightly forgettable, comedy with sparkling dialogue and fine performances. Although viewers must overlook one glaring problem: what woman in her right mind would pick Robert Mitchum over Cary Grant?
December 13, 2013
Okay, I really wanted to like this one based on the cast and the talent behind the camera, but it mostly just pissed me off. You take an ostensibly happy couple, who have some financial strife and suddenly the wife falls head over heels for the rich American who wanders by one day? Seriously? Deborah Kerr wants to piss away a marriage and children because life could be easier if she's with Robert Mitchum?

I guess this just felt a bit too dismissive of the gravity of the situation, as most other elements are played somewhat seriously and then the marriage is pissed away casually until it isn't and Kerr decides to stay with Cary Grant, who takes her back with no issues. Again, seriously?

It's watchable, and maybe I wouldn't hate it as much on a re-watch because I know where it's going.

^^As it turns out, the above statement is indeed true, I wasn't quite so put off the second time around with this film, but it's still not something I can love unconditionally, as the casual infidelity still sticks in my craw too much.

Rental or cable.
September 9, 2013
Jean Simmons steals most of the scenes. The whole cast is brilliant though! It could have been a bit better but the humour and quick on its feet dialogue makes up for it!
July 28, 2013
Cary Grant is awfully weak in this predictable comedy.
½ June 2, 2013
I found this film to be completely awesome and recommend it to all my friends on the facebook !!! BFFs for evs x
March 4, 2013
"If you give me some gin, I'll give you some advice. I don't believe in something for nothing."
December 28, 2012
A preposterous, ponderous bore.
November 14, 2012
Why would anyone fall for Robert Mitchum? He's Too Creepy! But loved Jean Simmon's wardrobe.
½ July 11, 2012
Cute and charming romantic comedy that is a bit like "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" but without any of the bite. (So, just see that movie instead. It's way better.)
May 25, 2012
some of the writing, mixed with Grant's awesome timing, is hilarious. quite qwippy w/a warm ending.
½ April 21, 2012
I wanted to like this film but it was decidedly odd - I found the scenario very contrived and silly and the whole thing felt a bit rushed. Amazing cast but a little weak overall.
September 27, 2011
Very cute little movie. Worth a look.
June 24, 2011
If you love classic movies, this is a under-rated gem. A must for Cary Grant fans!
April 11, 2011
Not a typical funny movie of Carey Grant, rather he played a cool husband character who handled and treated his infidel wife and wife's lover in an unconventional way to save his marriage...nice work, cool movie.
March 18, 2011
I don't know why, but i find this film to be incredibly charming. Maybe it's just because I like seeing Cary Grant play the cuckold.
December 21, 2010
Victor (Cary Grant) and Hillary (Deborah Kerr) are down on their luck to the point that they allow tourists to take guided tours of their castle. But Charles Delacro (Robert Mitchum), a millionaire oil tycoon, visits, and takes a liking to more than the house. Soon, Hattie Durant (Jean Simmons) gets involved and they have a good old fashioned love triangle.

About half-way through the film, it's easy to get bored because of a bit too much dialogue that isn't very interesting. There isn't really much to this film on an entertainment level, for a comedy it lacks a few laughs. The story is fine and the performances are delightful. But in the end, it's a pretty mediocre movie.
½ November 22, 2010
This movie is pretty good, it's funny and stars three really good actors. The story is a bit predictable, and it's sort of boring in some scenes, but I kind of liked it anyway. I liked the ending.