Grave Encounters 2 Reviews

• Jan 02, 2020

Wow, this movie was awful. AWFUL, all caps. I watched it, but only because I made liberal use of the forward skip button. I basically forward-skipped through most of the movie, and I can assure you I did not miss anything of value in doing so. We can look beyond the fact that this is basically a remake of the original movie, which itself was derivative and brought nothing new to the table. Ignoring the double-level of lack of novelty, let's focus on what makes this film terrible, and not what makes both Grave Encounters films terrible. 1) The script writers clearly have never talked to anyone below the age of 25, or any women. I'm not sure how they managed to graduate through elementary school, high school, and college without talking to any of their peers -- perhaps they were homeschooled for decades. Another possibility is that they all experienced devastating head injuries which wiped their teenage memories. Regardless, their "film school" characters read like the most tired, cliched notions of how young people think and behave. Despite all of their "film school" characters being tired, boring, and unlikeable, they somehow manage to make their female "film school" characters even more tired, boring, and 2-dimensional. I've seen actual children's media with more interesting characters than what the writers of this film cooked up. 2) Relates to the point above: They failed to give their main character realistic motivation to film the movie. They clearly worked backwards from the point where he's driven to the set of the original Grave Encounters, and tried to invent motivation for him to do it. They failed at this. We don't see him get lured into it, which is what they clearly tried and failed to convey -- instead we see their main character give up on his original project without sufficient reason or motivation, to pursue making a film (about the original Grave Encounters) which itself doesn't make any sense. Thus, the entire premise of the movie (this character wants to film a documentary about the original movie) is weak. 3) I guess they got tired of relying on "found footage", because they basically copped out at the end. Apparently our evil ghosty itself wants to make a film, and actually *levitates the film equipment around the room* to get the shots the producers wanted. I get that they're trying to be meta (the ghost wants to make the film to draw more victims to the location), but it just comes across as lazy. It's like they gave up on trying to frame shots in a realistic "found footage" style, and just said "fuck it, we can have cameras wherever we want if the ghost is filming", and went with that, thinking they were being clever. I want to be charitable and mention this film as some redeeming qualities: 1) The OG Grave Encounters host makes a return appearance, and his acting is phenomenal. Unfortunately he is the only good actor in the film, and has the only interesting character. 2) "Escaping" the asylum only to find out they never left at all was a nice twist. I mean, I saw it coming, and I wasn't surprised, but it was still creative.

• Sep 17, 2019

a perfect improvement from grave encounters (2011) with better effects and excellent characteristics, this movie makes as above so below look like a childrens movie compared!

• Aug 29, 2019

although this film doesn't make much sense it's nice the fact that it's made to look real but this makes it quite weird, recited badly enough with too many pretensions compared to what it offers, the ending is very nice even for the half-shot half but the finale ve it's just horrendous, useless and senseless

• Sep 02, 2018

It doesnt work the second time around.

It doesnt work the second time around.

• Jul 05, 2018

Innecesaria ,Grave Encounters 2 ,avergüenza a su antecesora siendo una cinta que no aporta nada y si desmerita una historia interesante que logran construir en su primer entrega.

• Jan 13, 2018

I like the meta-ness of the plot. And there was one twist that I kinda liked. Other than that this movie sucked. Unlikeable characters, a plot that doesn't make sense, too many twists, showing the ghost too much, showing everything and the scene ends up being dumb and laughable- if something could be done wrong in a horror movie, this movie did it.

• Oct 17, 2017

Not that good. I was excited to see this film after watching the first one. But this just made it bad

• Aug 09, 2017

The things that really sold me on the first movie was the fun, likeable characters it established from the start. This, however, introduces you to fairly standard set of horror movie douchbags and spends a good chunk of the first half of the film watching them knob about. Still, there were enough entertaining moments that it wasn't unwatchable and once it gets underway it was pretty good

• Nov 18, 2016

This movie was very well put together. The storyline was pwrfect and the characters lived up to your standards. It was suspense, horror, thrills and excitement all at the same time.Try watching this film on a raIny night. I can't believe the scoring is so low. I give it a 90%. A real movie critic knows good movies, and this was a great film. So much better that part 1.

Gimly M Super Reviewer
    Aug 23, 2016

Though objectively I can say with some certainty that the first Grave Encounters is the better movie of the two, this second helping still got me excited in a way for the franchise itself. Sure, the third act is essentially just a worse version of the whole first movie, but Grave Encounters 2 tries some new things, not just in terms of this film series, but something new to Found Footage Horror overall.