Grave Encounters 2 Reviews

• Oct 01, 2020

I wish I could rate zero stars. I genuinely only made this account to tell anyone who stumbles upon this review that this is truly the single worst film I have ever seen. I watch a new horror movie every night, so I've seen plenty of bad films, but this was truly just terrible in absolutely every aspect. The first half of disappointing foreplay leaves you hoping for something remotely entertaining to unfold, but you get nothing but gutted, lame versions of the scares from the first movie. The end "scare" was so ridiculous that we laughed at it. It was not even in the realm of entertainingly bad, as you could tell from the very beginning that the film thought of itself as the best film since sliced exorcist. Overall, I give it absolutely no credit in any area, and I am struggling to think of a single other film in existence that I cannot give at least some credit to in some aspect. I personally underwent a crisis of faith, as my faith requires me to forgive my enemies, but it is an objective fact that the director of this movie can never return my time. I think it's fair to assume that if you've also seen this, you no longer have hope for this life, or the next. We can mourn together in hell. I need to go to bed and think about why I still get up and go to work when movies like this get produced. This is actually the first and only movie review I've ever left. I really should leave positive reviews when I like movies, but this movie was so completely, utterly, and immaculately atrocious that I felt an immense rage, and I knew it was my duty to inform others. Get out while you still can. Pause that torrent. If you have seen it, reach out for help. There is a national suicide hotline. You can find good entertainment. Just because something this awful was produced once does not mean it will happen again. Remember, a forever answer is never right for a temporary problem. To the director should you happen to stumble upon this: I get it. You had a hit movie. You liked the success, the fame, the money, whatever, but you've displayed that you are incapable of doing any movies again again. The incompetence with which this entire movie was conducted makes it sure that you underwent some sort of event that caused a dramatic increase in intelligence, and for whatever accident you underwent I truly am sorry. We are here to support you, but making terrible movies to show us how much pain you're in is not the way to reach out for help. It hurts to submit this review and give it half of a star, as that feels like giving Adolf Hitler a Nobel Peace Prize, but for the sake of humanity and for whoever may find the salvation of their mind, body, and soul in this review by escaping this cinematic cranial degeneration I will, with full understanding of the gravity of the offense that I am about to commit in awarding it anything, submit this review. If you believe in God, pray for those who have seen this film.

• May 10, 2020

This movie did have a lot of scenes that where very similar to the first. However I wouldn't go as far as to say that is as just a shitty clone to the first movie. I really enjoyed this movie to be honest and I wish they would have made a third. The ending wasn't the most satisfying ending in the world and for a second I thought they where going to end it terribly but luckily there where a couple more scenes before it ended. Overall I would say this film is almost on par with the first.

• Mar 23, 2020

Just Like The First One! Grave Encounters 2 Is Absolutely Horrifying! I was Terrified Just Like When I Saw The First One!

• Feb 26, 2020

Full disclosure that I watched this movie for two reasons: 1. to hopefully get some laughs as I did from the first and 2. Richard Harmon. Sorrynotsorry. I'm not going to lie, I didn't hate this movie as much as it seems most people did. I thought the characters were fun, I could remember all of them (trash bestie, wannabe actress with an unrequited crush on Alex, skeptic sound-woman and quietly nervous cameraman) and little tics about their personalities, which is always a good sign to me. Harmon's lead character Alex was a bit emo admittedly, but honestly it worked for me. A pretentious film student who wants to "reinvent the genre" of horror? Yeah, I believe he's condescending and emo and obtuse and I wasn't put off by it. I loved the continuation of the theme of outing "fake" ghost hunter documentaries, with the characters of 2.0 trying to hunt down the mysterious "disappearances" of the Grave Encounters 1.0 cast after the movie was filmed, giving us a sense of breaking the fourth wall in a delicious way and leading the 2.0 cast right to the "real" site of the haunted institute from 1.0. My favorite thing of the movie hands down was Alex's almost immediate resignation to 2.0's fate once the hauntings start, it's so real, so logical and so instantaneous that I could only laugh in sympathy. The side characters of course died pretty quickly, but their deaths had meaning and affected the cast accordingly, leaving the main trio to roam the haunted halls trying to survive and the twist ending had me nodding in approval. 10/10 think you'll enjoy it as long as you don't expect Stephen King level subtlety.

• Jan 02, 2020

Wow, this movie was awful. AWFUL, all caps. I watched it, but only because I made liberal use of the forward skip button. I basically forward-skipped through most of the movie, and I can assure you I did not miss anything of value in doing so. We can look beyond the fact that this is basically a remake of the original movie, which itself was derivative and brought nothing new to the table. Ignoring the double-level of lack of novelty, let's focus on what makes this film terrible, and not what makes both Grave Encounters films terrible. 1) The script writers clearly have never talked to anyone below the age of 25, or any women. I'm not sure how they managed to graduate through elementary school, high school, and college without talking to any of their peers -- perhaps they were homeschooled for decades. Another possibility is that they all experienced devastating head injuries which wiped their teenage memories. Regardless, their "film school" characters read like the most tired, cliched notions of how young people think and behave. Despite all of their "film school" characters being tired, boring, and unlikeable, they somehow manage to make their female "film school" characters even more tired, boring, and 2-dimensional. I've seen actual children's media with more interesting characters than what the writers of this film cooked up. 2) Relates to the point above: They failed to give their main character realistic motivation to film the movie. They clearly worked backwards from the point where he's driven to the set of the original Grave Encounters, and tried to invent motivation for him to do it. They failed at this. We don't see him get lured into it, which is what they clearly tried and failed to convey -- instead we see their main character give up on his original project without sufficient reason or motivation, to pursue making a film (about the original Grave Encounters) which itself doesn't make any sense. Thus, the entire premise of the movie (this character wants to film a documentary about the original movie) is weak. 3) I guess they got tired of relying on "found footage", because they basically copped out at the end. Apparently our evil ghosty itself wants to make a film, and actually *levitates the film equipment around the room* to get the shots the producers wanted. I get that they're trying to be meta (the ghost wants to make the film to draw more victims to the location), but it just comes across as lazy. It's like they gave up on trying to frame shots in a realistic "found footage" style, and just said "fuck it, we can have cameras wherever we want if the ghost is filming", and went with that, thinking they were being clever. I want to be charitable and mention this film as some redeeming qualities: 1) The OG Grave Encounters host makes a return appearance, and his acting is phenomenal. Unfortunately he is the only good actor in the film, and has the only interesting character. 2) "Escaping" the asylum only to find out they never left at all was a nice twist. I mean, I saw it coming, and I wasn't surprised, but it was still creative.

• Sep 17, 2019

a perfect improvement from grave encounters (2011) with better effects and excellent characteristics, this movie makes as above so below look like a childrens movie compared!

• Aug 29, 2019

although this film doesn't make much sense it's nice the fact that it's made to look real but this makes it quite weird, recited badly enough with too many pretensions compared to what it offers, the ending is very nice even for the half-shot half but the finale ve it's just horrendous, useless and senseless

• Sep 02, 2018

It doesnt work the second time around.

It doesnt work the second time around.

• Jul 05, 2018

Innecesaria ,Grave Encounters 2 ,avergüenza a su antecesora siendo una cinta que no aporta nada y si desmerita una historia interesante que logran construir en su primer entrega.

• Jan 13, 2018

I like the meta-ness of the plot. And there was one twist that I kinda liked. Other than that this movie sucked. Unlikeable characters, a plot that doesn't make sense, too many twists, showing the ghost too much, showing everything and the scene ends up being dumb and laughable- if something could be done wrong in a horror movie, this movie did it.