19% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

The Gravedancers Reviews

Dean !

April 2, 2011
At last a decent low budget horror that was quite entertaining! It had a good cast with a few familiar faces from TV of yester year. The story was something a bit different from the normal. What really made this for me though was the design, largely on animatronics and prosthetics than cgi, of the ghost characters. The production of the whole film looked pretty good for the budget. It reminded me a lot of Thirteen Ghosts. Hopefully there is scope for a sequel.....or two!
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 23, 2007
Halloween night with nothing to watch. Not exactly the best movie ever made, but better than at least 40% of horror films. Anyways, predictable, corny, and pointless. But arn't more horror movies?
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

September 12, 2010
From the 8 Films to die for series. Like most of the films from this series its an excellent one. Some friends get together after a funeral and dance on the grave of the recent dead. By doing so they start being eliminated one by one. Pretty creepy, 4 stars on the creep scale.
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

December 1, 2008
I fun (creepy) little romp.
Some of the make-up effects were pretty cool and the acting (for the most part) was good.

All in all a little predictable, but fun.
Lewis C

August 20, 2008
Great horror movie! Much better than most of what's coming to the theaters these days.
middleeasternfilms
middleeasternfilms

June 18, 2008
I started to watch this movie, but fell asleep not even halfway through it. What does that say about it? I'm rating it based on what I saw before I drifted off.
vieras e

May 3, 2008
The set-up was interesting - promising, even - but the film didn't quite live up to the expectations. The ghosties were cool - especially the male ghost - everything else just sucked.

*SLIGHTLY SPOILERISH*

The ending with the gigantic head, reminiscent slightly of the spook in Poltergeist, was wonderful in a nostalgic kind of a way. The beginning, the angle from which it was shot, was also simply beautiful.

PS. Why was that one guy constantly telling everybody his name? Ok, Vincent is a lovely name, I'll give you that, but it isn't THAT lovely.
thefog1331
thefog1331

July 17, 2007
I was not expecting much since the other films in the '8 Film To Die For' have been anything but and director Mike Mendez's last film 'The Convent' was pure crap. Gravedancers however is a solid little gem of a ghost story complete with a decent cast, original material and a few genuine scares. Will watch this one again for sure.
Luke B

June 12, 2007
A nice mixture of a film. It begins as your usual clcihed horror nonsense, and then moves into something a bit more original that really gets you hooked just before climaxing in an ending of OTT excess with is reminiscent of The Frighteners and Ghostbusters. It's enjoyable, it's funny and at times it is very very creepy. Especially the look of the dead. It also encorporates some old school tools like pop-up corpses. Unfortunately there is too much wrong with this film including poor acting and dodgy editing, which makes use of child-like transitions. At least this is a film that knows what it wants.
Beefy
Beefy

April 8, 2007
Fun. Shows that you can make a fun indie horror film without a huge budget but with plenty of ingenuity.
Leigh R

November 20, 2006
One of the best in the Horrorfest series.
Ryan M
Ryan M

April 9, 2011
7.2/10

I love me a good horror film that combines haunted-house scare-tactics with paranormal encounters with CGI ghosties; but only when it's a genuinely good show in the end. I've fought my way through countless mediocre horror/thrillers which use cheesy, lame scare tactics such as cheap jumps and gore. So why, oh why, is "The Gravedancers" that one movie that impresses me? I mean, it shouldn't have; it wasn't even remotely scary, as far as the word goes. However, a movie is a movie; and when it does what it does fairly well, then it's only fair to give it some credit.

This will never go on to be a horror classic, and I do, by all means, respect that. But "The Gravedancers" is a lot of spooky fun, released in a good time where such things were so scarce, and they still are, unfortunately. It's not every day that you come across a simple horror film such as this that you can call "fun, fun, fun" without feeling stupid, but here's that movie, regardless of whether we wanted it or not.

This film is simplistic as hell in its horror and its story-telling, but this turns out to work for the film's benefit rather than against it. The film is the story of three people; all of whom get drunk one night and dance on some graves, which includes chanting a ghastly poem. They return home safely that night, now knowing of the horror that they have unleashed. Soon, they learn that they have indeed stirred the spirits of three ghosts: an axe-murderer, a youthful pyromaniac, and a rapist. The spirits are reckless, and they want to use their super-awesome ghostly powers to torture our heroes and heroines mentally and physically, as only a movie ghost can do.

The story isn't terribly well-told from start to finish, and it starts out by being fairly decent, if not mildly unsatisfactory. If "The Gravedancers" would have stayed that way, then I would have hated its guts and its quality. But then came the third act, which was just plain great, in my honest opinion.

The film, which is a true-blue horror movie, it not a scary one. It's meant to be, but I've seen nothing here that does more than simply go "boo!" But I don't mind a little jump scare once in a while, and to its credit, this movie doesn't overdo that aspect of scare tactics. Instead of being frightening and disturbing, these last few sequences are fun, well-built, and intense. I was able to enjoy this film, at its fullest, when it was like this. The film feels like a good horror movie, and to me it is. It's probably one of the better films to be released by After Dark Films, and I like what it does with what it's got. The cinematography isn't the prettiest, but being too pretty can take away from the good old "classic horror" feeling once in a while. This film benefits from atmosphere and entertainment. It's a movie that I wouldn't mind watching with some friends for some good-natured, cheesy fun. I'd even buy it, maybe. "The Gravedancers" is a recommendation for horror fans. Not for everyone and most certainly not for those who don't like horror, but this movie is well-built and well-directed. I admire it in a sneaky sort of way; perhaps something sneakier than this film can hope to accomplish. But it's not what's sneaky that surprises us here; it's the quality of the picture. No artistic strings are pulled; nothing impossible is attempted. This is good, straight-forward horror filmmaking, and I'm damn proud to say that it was worth the watch.
August Seria
August Seria

September 29, 2011
The first scares are very good and cleverly thought of but when it comes on the middle part I'm like "okay, still good. Some parts are ridiculous though." However, in the end part I was like. "What the fvck is going on?" It's like the Primer meets Tales from the Crypt. The scares became copied from classics and I don't know where in the corners of the abyss of hell's assh0l3 did the ending came from. i mean a giant (*spoiler alert) ghastly head came floating towards the protagonist. Who could've known? It just demoralized my visual capabilities. It is smart but it doesn't work on me.
William G

November 18, 2006
Takes time to work itself into an effective horror-comedy groove.
John2223
John2223

March 24, 2009
"The Gravedancers" is an entertaining low budget ghost story with some pretty decent special effects. This movie stays interesting all the way through and has some creepy moments and suspense.
Nick G

June 3, 2010
As mediocre of a horror film as one will ever see.

There is really nothing great or horrible about this movie. That aside, stick through to the end. It starts out slow and boring, but eventually turns out to be somewhat worthwhile.

For a horror movie: it's relatively solid and the main cliche is that it rushes things and forces assumptions along the way. There are cheesy parts; although not intentionally campy like Wrong Turn 3, Cabin Fever and the like. That goes a long way, as it is a lower end horror and takes itself seriously the entire time and pulls it off - for the most part - in the end.

Average 90 minute, wasn't so bad, ho-hum, completely forgettable time filler.
Jason R

September 27, 2009
The Gravedancers is a really great and entertaining horror film. While not the best movie it delivers a lot of really cool effects, boasts a good cast, and a well shot and written plot. The Gravedancers is the kind of movie reminiscent of films like The Frighteners that is full of really great paranormal suspense, keeps the CGI effects to a minimum and actually has characters that you care about enough to where when the time has come for them to get the bloody axe you're a little dissapointed. The film is a lot of fun, it shows that the filmmakers who made the movie had fun as well. Making The Gravedancers a very engaging and entertaining film throughout.
FanGirl
FanGirl

November 30, 2006
Honestly I can't believe this film wasn't originally a scifi channel original movie, it's that bad.
nickymo89
nickymo89

June 18, 2007
Another 1 of The 8 Movies To Die For. This 1 has some cool parts but reminds me of some other movies I've seen (The Frighteners). It goes over the top towards the end, but worth a watch.
Christopher B

May 8, 2007
Good film from Mendez, but doesn't live up to his Convent. Still, a good ghost story with an unlikable lead.