Gravity Reviews

• 16h ago

A visual spectacle...Gravity is the closest I call to a masterpiece in filmmaking!

• Oct 08, 2019

Gravity stars Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, and is directed by Alfonso Cuarón. The cinematography is beautiful, space looks amazing and it's breathtaking, there are also action sequences where the cinematography is what stands out the most. The special effects are great, almost the entire movie is in space, and you believe that they are in space, it looks very real. Sandra Bullock is brilliant in this movie. The score also is very good, my biggest issue is that I didn't connect with George Clooney character, I felt that it wasn't that important. But overall it's a great movie.

• Oct 05, 2019

Great film making. Horrific writing, acting.

Great film making. Horrific writing, acting.

• Oct 01, 2019

meeh it is was okay. the number of things that went wrong was just too much.

meeh it is was okay. the number of things that went wrong was just too much.

• Sep 30, 2019

Intense, Real, and visually stunning.

Intense, Real, and visually stunning.

• Sep 25, 2019

Freestyle swimming in space visually, with a breath of pain in the howling scene.

• Sep 24, 2019

This movie gives me the same feels as Castaway since it's storyline is similar - being out there by yourself and what would you do.... I really enjoyed this movie.... from the beginning it jumps right into excitement and anticipation and keeps you on the edge throughout.

• Sep 18, 2019

A masterpiece. One of the most amazing science fiction movies ever made. It is extremely well done. Great acting by the two main characters. You need to watch this movie on the big screen and DEFINITELY in 3D, otherwise you will not be able to appreciate the movie to its fullness. It deserved all the 7 Oscars it got!!

• Sep 15, 2019

The first 30 minutes was good. Once Clooney was gone the movie died.

The first 30 minutes was good. Once Clooney was gone the movie died.

• Sep 08, 2019

Thrillers that are very thin on plot can be fantastic if executed well and this is a prime example of the genre as a director capable of art-house fare, Alfonso Cuaron, brings his talents to a blockbuster. I wasn't particular excited about the film before watching it as I usually don't like films within this genre however this movie is so much better than The Towering Inferno (1974) and Airport (1970) in addition to being nice and short at just ninety minutes. In attempting to watch every Best Picture nominee ever I was aware that I would eventually have to watch this film and I am glad that did because it is a robust piece of entertainment. Having said that I find the film to be a technical marvel but not necessarily something that will emotionally grab you and therefore it wouldn't be my choice for Best Picture. On her first mission, Dr. Ryan Stone, Sandra Bullock, is upgrading the Hubble telescope with the assistance of veteran astronaut Matt Kowalski, George Clooney, in addition to several other unseen astronauts. Their mission is aborted when debris produced after an accidental Russian missile strike hits them and only Stone and Kowalski survive. With Kowalski's assistance she is able to reach the International Space Station but is forced to let him go so that she can survive. She experiences a great many difficulties in finding a vehicle that will take her back to earth and feels intense loneliness without Kowalski's presence. Eventually she is able to return to earth on a spacecraft and lands in a lake then climbs out onto land, happy to be alive. Emmanuel Lubezki's cinematography must be commended as the visuals are largely what carry the film. We see tiny specks of water traveling through the air and debris flying at fast speeds into space crafts which gives us a sense of just how small this woman is when compared to the forces of nature which have the ability to destroy her. We feel fear but also awe as early on we hear Stone and Kowalski discuss what they appreciate about being in space and seeing earth from such a different vantage point. Throughout the beauty of the environment around Stone is contrasted with the horrors of her situation as she is alone in silence. At many points we cut away from Stone having a panic attack inside the International Space Station to the silence and cold indifference of the endless space around her. It reminded me of The Tree of Life (2011), a far different movie in many ways, in that it contrasts the very human concerns of the astronauts with the vastness around in a way that is remarkably effective as we understand how insignificant we really are against this infinite backdrop. You feel yourself thinking about how difficult it would have been to make this film as you watch it as there is no opportunity to simply cut away to another scene and in many ways it is like a play as you are stuck with a small number of characters as they try to complete a difficult task. Beyond the massive technical achievement that the film is, it deserves all the awards it won in the technical categories, there is a smart script at it's heart that brings life to these characters without indulging in soap opera theatrics. Unlike Airport we don't spend the majority of the film listening to the characters scream at one another about their personal problems before having the disaster element introduced in the last 20 minutes. We get to hear about Stone's tragic backstory, her young daughter died, and this is revisited once or twice after it is revealed early on in the film but it never feels overly manipulative and never becomes dull. Clooney and Bullock do rely on their movie star charisma to make their characters appealing but the film does give Bullock the opportunity to give an impressive physical performance on the level of Naomi Watts in The Impossible (2012). This is also the best of Bullock's two Academy Award nominated performances as while she is legitimately atrocious in The Blind Side (2009) she excels here. I can't say, despite how excellent this film is in many ways, that this is one of my favorite films of 2013 and the fact that I never found myself completely emotionally engaged means that I don't think it is the masterpiece that some believe it to be.