Greased Lightning Reviews

• Feb 20, 2017

For Richard Pryor fans, this biopic of the first African-American Nascar winner is not bad.

• Jul 25, 2015

good bio-pic about USA's first black stock car driver

good bio-pic about USA's first black stock car driver

• Oct 27, 2012

Based on the first African American NASCAR driver, Wendell Scott. Could have been better as the movie glossed over too much of the racial issues he faced, probably because the producers couldn't address them in a real way at the time.

• Feb 20, 2012

Fantastic. One of my favorite Richard Pryor films.

Fantastic. One of my favorite Richard Pryor films.

• Feb 16, 2012

Good racing scenes, if you're into a bunch of bootleggers smashin' into each other on a dirt track. (Say what you will about present-day NASCAR, there was a time when stock car racing was *awesome*.) Otherwise unexceptional.

• Feb 16, 2012

my husband and his dad (99percent dad) owned the #1 red 38 plymouyh coupe that earl hindman (beau wells) drove in the first race scene. in real life the car was #42,and was driven by wendell scott,HIMSELF.the car left my father n laws shop in 1976 in originial form (owner bob neal painted over the drivers door roof and va#42 on the doors.my husband(herb neal)painted the white(half moon)on the lower trunk lid.) bob neal and his #42 was not on the car in the movie due to legal rights pertaining to warner brothers studios.(so the neal family was told).

• Feb 16, 2012

go wendell scott! takes me back in the day.

go wendell scott! takes me back in the day.

• Feb 16, 2012

I saw this back in the day and watched it many times after, a must see for NASCAR history fans!

• Feb 16, 2012

Richard Pryor plays Wendell Scott the first black stock car driver to win a major racing championship, Pryor turns in an excellent performance as do his supporting cast of Beau Bridges, Pam Grier, Cleavon Little, and Richie Havens.

• Feb 16, 2012

About a third of the way into watching this film, I started to think to myself that it felt like a bio-pic. Turns out, it is. Richard Pryor plays Wendell Scott, the first black driver in NASCAR. The early part of the film, which starts with Scott's return from the Second World War, is a great deal of fun. He teams up with friends to run moonshine in what kept reminding me of an episode of The Dukes of Hazaard. As the film progresses, in typical bio-pic fashion, things begin to happen with little context, like his sudden friendship with Beau Bridges' Hutch, or his rivalry with Beau Welles. Still, there are some very good parts, and Pam Grier looks absolutely amazing in the first half of the film. The movie does have a somewhat slow pace, perhaps because of its episodic nature. I was surprised to find out after watching it that it was just over an hour and a half. It felt much longer. I won't say I was bored, but it was slow. Certainly not amazing, but a pretty good movie.