The Great Escape - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Great Escape Reviews

November 22, 2017
Wow, quite a journey I experienced watching his movie. it actually might have been entertaining had it not been put in the historical context. What we have is an outrageously ridiculous WW2-related piece of cinema. It actually looks like a boy scout operation, so implausible and staged it feels. I wasn't bored at all, I was just sweetly touched by this fairy-tale shot in absolutely worst Hollywood traditions. I believe the events took place in real life but I'm also quite sure their experiences were quite from what was depicted in this movie.
½ November 11, 2017
Solid performances and great action sequences overcome an obviously censored version of real war camps.
September 24, 2017
One of my favorite pre-1970s movies.
½ April 28, 2017
The most amazing aspect of this great movie is that it's based on a true story. While it does take a while for the characters and the plot to develop, it gives us a feeling of understanding of what's going on. While the motorcycle scenes may be cool, especially for the time, my favorite parts were definitly the escaping and tunnel digging scenes. I also liked the touch of comedy added to the war drama. Full of great actors, this movie prooves another thing: You can't kill the epic Steve McQueen! Great claasic and recommended !!
½ March 28, 2017
For tense drama, this is pretty much for you. A prison camp is that kinda place. But Steve M. makes it less so as a free spirit American flyboy that has more moxey and grit than most of the inmates in this German pow camp.

That said, here is my take. Well shot, great acting film. Does not disappoint. Where have you been in cine history not to have watched this film by now?

Instead of allowing Steve M. to escape, he fails. This is true cinema, not the hyped up crap that usually occurs. What elevates this film is the fact that not all ends well for most of these prisoners.

It might have been titled The Great Attempt. The motorcycle ending will, of course, be film legend forever. Incidently, McQueen does much of his stunt work and this was not an exception.
February 24, 2017
Alternative title: "Annoying Music: The Movie".
February 11, 2017
Many times when you watch a movie made half a century ago it is not as interesting and is very cheesy. But this is not the case with The Great Escape because it is just as good now as it was probably back then. The action scenes in this movie are just as good if not better than many action scenes that are made now. Many of the characters are likeable and it is just unbelievable that it is based on a true story. Throughout the movie it was excited, action packed, and it was a Steve McQueen movie.. what do you expect.

Since this movie is based on a true story it seems that you would think it would be boring. But this is one of those stories that this is not the case. I do not know much about the true story but what I do know is that the entire movie is based on facts. All of it, the escape plan, the amount of people that escaped, how long the tunnel was and the fact that there were 3 tunnels. All down to the detail that it was based the book from the detail which allows the movie to have a sense of realism.

I liked that movie did not have many down times but when they were down they were down. I liked the characters of the movie and liked watching the escapes. I thought that the way that the tunnel scene was filmed was really good and other movies should take note of the way it was filmed. The acting in the movie was very believable and allows the audience to feel with the people and want them to escape rather than to make them the bad guys and want them to get caught.

Overall I thought the movie did what it wanted to be set out to be. The acting, directing, editing, and script was really well done. It had little boring parts of the movie and it really could not have any scenes that they could have cut out. The film had a really good treatment of history and I think that could not have been better. I really don't have any complaints other that the movie left me wanting more, which is a good thing.
February 8, 2017
Wonderfully engaging and keeps things entertaining throughout a long runtime. Knockout cast helps keep things tense, yet fun.
January 8, 2017
The Great Escape is obviously well made, sometimes interesting and well acted, but the film is structurally odd as it is very different in its two halves - the action is boring and overwhelming in the second half whereas the first half is slow and dull. It is one of those war movies that rely on action instead of drama and its running time is overblown beyond a shadow of a doubt. All in all, it is one giant overrated snoozefest.
January 7, 2017
One of my favourites... Steve McQueen on his iconic motorcycle.
December 26, 2016
The first hour is slow. But the movie gets really good and entertaining.
November 12, 2016
An original action classic, The Great Escape makes way for it's great cast and drama among the enemy prison camp
½ November 11, 2016
La grande fuga è un film che per due ore lavora su un patriottismo filo-americano scritto in modo elementare, dove gli yankees sono dei simpatici spacconi e i tedeschi dei stupidi, rigidi maestrini.
Il finale (la grande fuga citata nel titolo) invece vale la pena vederlo, sia per la leggendaria disinvoltura di McQueen su un qualsiasi mezzo a motore, ma soprattutto perché finalmente perché questa superiorità spaccona americana viene ridimensionata e portata su dei livelli più veritieri e agrodolci.
½ November 5, 2016
Tedious for the first half and then -- how great was the escape since most of them got caught or shot?
October 26, 2016
At times very fun, and other times somewhat gloomy, and those two don't really mesh well by the end of the movie, and when the end credits come up you might feel a little conflicted. The deaths that come later didn't hit ahard enough because the way they were shot, if the scene was even shot at all if it wasn't off camera. And those losses are almost obscured by the return of Hilts and etc back to the POW camps at the end, and we are left with an almost forced feeling of hopefulness and courage with the music and comedic back turn of the nazi as Hilts plays catch with himself. That being said, the performances are very good, especially from McQueen; the break out scene is very, very intense thanks to directing, cinematography and editing as well; and the bike chase scene is very fun and suspenseful as well.
October 2, 2016
Very good for my taste, but despite their raucous soundtrack could be improved a bit more.
September 24, 2016
Although the movie is over 50 years old, it's still rewatchable again and again, McQueen may have been the star of the movie, but it is Garners charm and the other legendary actors who make this movie timeless.
July 28, 2016
It's light on character development but that doesn't hold The Great Escape back from being a funny, tense and excting action movie. Simply a classic i every sense of the word.
½ July 19, 2016
More like the Mediocre Escape. Read the Wikipedia article on the REAL great escape - what actually happened is far more interesting than this stuffy, slow-paced farce with little suspense. Also, it really isn't that great of an escape considering the ending.
June 28, 2016
great classic war/action movie!! outstaning cast.
steve mcqueen is truly the "King of Cool"