The Great Escape - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Great Escape Reviews

November 12, 2016
An original action classic, The Great Escape makes way for it's great cast and drama among the enemy prison camp
½ November 11, 2016
La grande fuga è un film che per due ore lavora su un patriottismo filo-americano scritto in modo elementare, dove gli yankees sono dei simpatici spacconi e i tedeschi dei stupidi, rigidi maestrini.
Il finale (la grande fuga citata nel titolo) invece vale la pena vederlo, sia per la leggendaria disinvoltura di McQueen su un qualsiasi mezzo a motore, ma soprattutto perché finalmente perché questa superiorità spaccona americana viene ridimensionata e portata su dei livelli più veritieri e agrodolci.
½ November 5, 2016
Tedious for the first half and then -- how great was the escape since most of them got caught or shot?
October 26, 2016
At times very fun, and other times somewhat gloomy, and those two don't really mesh well by the end of the movie, and when the end credits come up you might feel a little conflicted. The deaths that come later didn't hit ahard enough because the way they were shot, if the scene was even shot at all if it wasn't off camera. And those losses are almost obscured by the return of Hilts and etc back to the POW camps at the end, and we are left with an almost forced feeling of hopefulness and courage with the music and comedic back turn of the nazi as Hilts plays catch with himself. That being said, the performances are very good, especially from McQueen; the break out scene is very, very intense thanks to directing, cinematography and editing as well; and the bike chase scene is very fun and suspenseful as well.
October 2, 2016
Very good for my taste, but despite their raucous soundtrack could be improved a bit more.
September 24, 2016
Although the movie is over 50 years old, it's still rewatchable again and again, McQueen may have been the star of the movie, but it is Garners charm and the other legendary actors who make this movie timeless.
July 28, 2016
It's light on character development but that doesn't hold The Great Escape back from being a funny, tense and excting action movie. Simply a classic i every sense of the word.
½ July 19, 2016
More like the Mediocre Escape. Read the Wikipedia article on the REAL great escape - what actually happened is far more interesting than this stuffy, slow-paced farce with little suspense. Also, it really isn't that great of an escape considering the ending.
June 28, 2016
great classic war/action movie!! outstaning cast.
steve mcqueen is truly the "King of Cool"
June 2, 2016
Painfully dull. I think it's very overrated, and it's a long and uneventful movie to sit through. (First and only viewing - 6/1/2016)
May 22, 2016
One of the great epic films. The Great Escape starts off slowly but is so full of detail. The film builds to its ultimate finale, and has one of the greatest action sequences in history: Steve McQueen's motorcycle chase. I have lost count how many times i have seen this. Its rewatchability is unrivaled.
½ May 22, 2016
Intelligent, nail-biting, and nicely light, "The Great Escape" is a solid 172 minutes.
May 21, 2016
A captivating film of POW escaping under the noses of the Germans. While watching you become a part of the plan and escape. Lovely balance of humor, action and drama.
May 19, 2016
½ May 3, 2016
Great cast. Great story. One of the best WW2 films ever.
March 24, 2016
If you've never seen a Steve McQueen movie before, this is a good one to start with. It was my first, and the only one I needed in order for me to be hooked. You somehow know it's going to be alright when he's on screen. Always ahead of his time with his colloquial demeanor, McQueen helps bridge the gap between old and new Hollywood, making the classics more accessible to younger audiences.

But The Great Escape is entertaining even when McQueen isn't present. The 1963 classic mixes suspense and levity brilliantly as it follows a group of allied prisoners in a German camp attempting their biggest escape yet during World War II.

The Great Escape is plot buildup at its finest. Writer-director, John Sturges, has an impeccable sense of narrative. From start to finish its tone never wavers. And even with its juggernaut of a runtime clocking in at nearly 3 hours, you're never checking your watch.

Although in this day and age it helps to know the history--seeing as World War II was still fairly fresh in everyone's minds back in 1963. But setting aside, you can still appreciate the general storyline. Even a younger audience should be able to follow along easily and still enjoy this movie's timely humor.

Elmer Bernstein's score helps to drive this film with strong motifs. It echoes The Bridge on the River Kwai, but has a feel all of its own.

The Great Escape is a phenomenal film. It's consistent and thoroughly engaging, and the type of movie that just puts a smile on your face. With a little help from McQueen, it holds up very well. He's at his best here, like always. And the rest of the cast is so strong that this film is great even when he's absent--he's just the cherry on top.

Twizard Rating: 100
March 23, 2016
I love the characters in this film, and the way they so nonchalantly start looking for methods of escape within minutes of landing in the prison. The entire film feels like a high quality heist movie. The team is assembled, we get to find out who is going to do what, and then we slowly see the plan executed. I have so much fun with this style of film, and it is made even better when you care about the people involved. The Great Escape went above and beyond the call of duty when it came to those people because within less than 30 minutes of film I felt like I knew and connected with at least twelve different characters (amazing considering most films nowadays struggle to even get you to care about ONE.) I was a little disappointed with the somewhat mundane nature of the actual plan because, aside from the size of the escape, it was the same as many other escapes they had attempted in the past. I guess modern Hollywood has conditioned me to expect something more intricate and complex with multiple moving parts. But I have to give additional respect to the film despite this plan, because they were telling a true story which can make even the mundane more exciting. I quite enjoyed the entire film, but I did have one big problem which might be a more personal expectation issue but it kept me from completely falling in love with the movie.

Big-time spoilers: The title set me up with false hope that this was going to be a big awesome happy ending. To be clear, I know this is based on a true story, so I'm not expecting they should change history. I just kept getting hit by disappointment and sadness that I never expected when the film began. First I have the big-time letdown when less than half of the planned number of prisoners actually make it out of the compound. So that was part one of my sadness. Then the even bigger letdown that almost every single escapee is caught and most of them are slaughtered. It was just such a downer ending to what felt like such an uplifting film. I almost expected that the movie was about to continue with an even bigger escape that was actually successful, sadly it was not meant to be. I want to make a point of saying I understand, in a way, they were completely successful because they stymied the German forces and made them devote way too many resources to recovering those who escaped. But it doesn't FEEL like a win when so many characters that you grew to love get unceremoniously executed.
March 20, 2016
I'll admit the runtime intimidated me at first, but literally a few minutes into it I knew it was going to be absolutely brilliant.
March 19, 2016
This is a classic film but Hogan's Heroes is more realistic. I prefer The Dirty Dozen.