The Great Locomotive Chase - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Great Locomotive Chase Reviews

June 5, 2016
good caper/crime pic clean version-from disney
July 6, 2015
A live-action Disney classic fueled by Walt's love of trains and based on a real historical event. A great cast and story make this well worth seeing. (First and only full viewing - 1/29/2010)
February 11, 2014
I just loved this movie as a kid and I can see why--trains! Disney used a bunch of historical locomotives to film this recreation of a famous raid by northerners into the south during the Civil War. Their plan was to steal a southern train and to use it as transportation while they cut telegraph wires and tore up track behind enemy lines. Some of the raiders received the first Congressional Medals of Honor making this a significant event of the war. But what makes this movie significant isn't the gratingly serious performance of Fess Parker as the leader of the raid, or the proto-action movie plot full of explosions and escapes, it's the trains.
½ October 27, 2012
Yankee spies steal a train in Confederate territory with the aim of destroying vital track but are hotly pursued by Southern loyalists. A bit dated but not too Disney. I did like the Northerner - Southerner shaking hands at the end.
May 4, 2012
Fess Parker was easy on the eyes, but not much of an actor. The basics of the true story were here - but would've appreciated more exploration into characters... a lot to ask for a 50's era Disney flick. The real one-to-watch was Jeffrey Hunter - why had I not heard of him before now? 3 stars (or so)
jjnxn
March 2, 2012
Mid Fifties Disney film has the look and feel of one of that company's 60 films. Fess Parker was a handsome man but stiff as a board as an actor. Jeffrey Hunter who was a reasonably big name in '56 oddly relegated to a supporting role here. Some nice scenery and for history buffs an decent story but nothing special.
½ November 13, 2011
I saw this movie on a Scout camping trip and loved It!
½ October 13, 2011
May 26, 2011
THE GREAT LOCOMOTIVE CHASE (1956)
½ May 15, 2011
Disney adaptation of true events of 1862 Union train heist in effort to damage the vital railway lines supplying the Confederacy. Some elements and characters are dated now but overall well made and does not end up feeling too 'Disney-ed'.
½ January 23, 2011
Pretty good film about the true story of a tenacious man who gets his train stolen from him, but he is unstoppable in his way of getting it back. I think the movie should have focused more on that singular man rather than the union soldiers who stole the train. but this worked out just the same.
January 29, 2010
I thought it was pretty good
April 5, 2009
sounds somewhat interesting.
½ July 3, 2008
A good Disney sanitized Civil war movie.
May 3, 2008
great film watched it since i was little and has never got boring
½ October 21, 2007
I saw this when it came out in 1956 and thought it was awesome. I finally got a copy of it on DVD and watched it again. It's still good but I have some issues. Seems Walt Disney had to have a song in every movie, and this one is no exception. At one point everyone in the cast gathers around the piano and sings Dixie. Well that way there can be a record available for sale. The other thing is that the plotting and delivery are a little thin. All the railroad stuff is just great, so if you're a rail fan like Disney was you won't be disappointed.
½ August 4, 2007
Great movie. Amazingly accurate to the historical occurances as recorded by William Pittenger in "Daring and Suffering"
July 27, 2007
Greatest movie of all time. Fess Parker=DREAMBOAT
July 11, 2007
This Movie has been my favorite for a LONG time....Fess Parker puts on his best permormance
June 13, 2007
I've loved this movie since I was 2. It combines the two things I love, military history, and steam locomotives! Great movie and historically accurate to boot!