The Great Muppet Caper - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Great Muppet Caper Reviews

December 22, 2014
Still a laughable and easy-to-watch movie, but can't out-do the first best Muppet movie!
November 3, 2014
The plane lands in Italy. You land in England.

Kermit, Gonzo, and Fozzie Muppets are reporters off to Brittan to investigate a gigantic jewelry heist. They run into Miss Piggy and her and Kermit quickly fall in love; however, Miss Piggy is also being courted by Nickie Holiday, her boss. Their love triangle quickly becomes entangled in the jewelry heist the Muppets were investigating.

"Why don't you see if you can eat through these iron bars?"

Jim Henson, director of Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal, Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock, delivers The Great Muppet Caper. The storyline for this picture is fun and a very entertaining setting for the Muppets. The dolls are used to perfection and the overall execution was perfect.

"I wonder how far you can plummet before you blackout."

My daughter and I watch these movies on Netflix and caught this about a month ago. I thought this was one of the better Muppet movies and loved how it was put together. She always loves these films (maybe it was the European feel I adored). Nevertheless, this is one of the better
½ October 11, 2014
My favorite original Muppets film. The jewel heist that serves as this film's climax is just as tense as one in a non-Muppets film. 9/10.
October 7, 2014
I have the CD The Muppet Show: Music, Mayhem & More!, which not only has tracks from the TV variety show, but some of the classic songs from the major Muppet movies. This one falls in the middle of the first three Muppet movies from the Jim Henson era. I recently re-watched this on Netflix. It definitely contains some entertaining songs and creative visual tricks. There are fewer cameos, but Diana Rigg and, especially, Charles Grodin interact well with their fuzzy co-stars in this Pink Panther-like jewel heist plot.
September 27, 2014
The Muppets' second theatrical offering is strikingly different in tone from predecessor THE MUPPET MOVIE. Although the style of the humor and the title characters' charm is unchanged, THE GREAT MUPPET CAPER is not a road trip movie but a salute to old-fashioned musicals of the '40s. Every five minutes in the film there are big production numbers with toe-tapping dancing and lavish, lively music. Some may find this approach off-putting and a bit cheesy, but THE GREAT MUPPET CAPER handles it all with charm that it's hard to grumble (unless you're Statler and Waldorf, those two sarcastic tycoons who find something to laugh about). One particularly spectacular moment involves Miss Piggy imagining herself in a water ballet (yes, WATER ballet). This must have been a very difficult scene to shoot because of the camera angles and the occasional moment where we see the muppet character's full front body and not just as a puppet. How they pulled it off I will never know, but that's what makes it so staggering. Hilarious, too, because this scene is accompanied by an operatic number sung by Charles Grodin (overdubbed), and toward the end, joined in by Kermit. At another point in the movie, both Kermit and Miss Piggy break character and get into an argument about the latter's acting abilities ("Piggy, you're overacting. You're hamming it up.") Such show-stopping moments can cause the momentum to literally grind to a halt, but on the other hand, they serve as pleasant ways to keep the audience involved, because the storyline is basically a predictable "mystery" heist about a diamond thievery in London and Miss Piggy framed for the crime. Still, that in no way suggests that THE GREAT MUPPET CAPER isn't entertaining. On the contrary. It's still a highly recommended, genuinely funny, always clever entry that Muppet fans of any age or else wise will devour without hesitation.
September 27, 2014
An outstanding follow-up to the first outing, GMC finds Kermit and Co. in the middle of an early 20th century crime caper. Full of vaudevillian setups, satirical snobbery, breezy pacing, punchy jokes and LOL hilarity, this is among the Muppets best efforts.
September 1, 2014
The muppets are back!!! Love the beginning , gonzo, fozzy and Kermit!! It's weird that miss piggy and Kermit don't know each other but still good movie. Love the story!!
August 10, 2014
The muppets in London. Solid muppet film, similar to the first in terms of jokes and interesting puppetry but the story is a bit more elaborate.
August 9, 2014
I luuuuurve the muppets!
August 7, 2014
The first Muppet movie was very focused on introducing characters and revolved around being a road movie, comedy. In this second of the Muppet films, our now established friends play various characters in a thriller concerning precious jewels being stolen from a fashion designer. Reporters Kermit and Fozzy must team up with a squadron of misfits and Miss Piggy in order to catch the culprits. The film respects its characters, but often makes a lot of in-jokes and meta references to the fact that the Muppets are playing characters, and also that Kermit and Fozzy are "identical twins" because they both wear hats. There are a lot of great musical numbers performed by the Muppets, including a water ballet routine by Miss Piggy in her true over the top fashion. The supporting actors are great, including a crotchety Charles Grodin, and an overly nice John Cleese, in a great cameo appearance. Wildly entertaining and certainly fun, the Muppets make yet enough grand old film.
July 24, 2014
(First and only full viewing - 4/1/2010)
½ July 23, 2014
Everything we love about the Muppets is in this movie, great jokes, musical numbers, and non-stop fun. 4.5/5 Amazing.
July 5, 2014
The second movie in the Muppet franchise was kinda a letdown. There were a lot of good parts and some were just eh. This time Kermit, Fozzie, and Gonzo are journalists and are supposed to interview Lady Holiday but instead get stuck in a crime story when Holidays diamonds are stolen. The plot is kinda dull at times. I'm sorry but just some of the stuff where it was all people no Muppets is kinda boring. I came to see Muppets! The humor is just as good as the first one though! There's funny puns to running gags throughout the movie. The ending didn't have the Muppet Movie ending. This ending they are thrown off the plane but it wasn't heartfelt like its predecessor. I still enjoyed the Great Muppet Caper just a not as good as the first. B+
½ July 3, 2014
Not The Best In The Muppet Series.C+
June 27, 2014
Easily the most action-packed, laugh-out-loud, and all-around spectacular movie of the bunch directed by the muppet master himself, the late Mr. Jim Henson.
½ June 25, 2014
Can you ever get enough of the Muppets? Don't answer that. Let's just go with my answer to that one: no, you can't. Give me a stack of Muppet movies -- the good, the bad and the ugly -- and I'll give you my thanks. The Great Muppet Caper and Muppet Treasure Island aren't the greatest Muppet outings, I'll admit, but they have their charms, be it heist-y or pirate-y.
June 21, 2014
good muppet movie some of it doesn't up
June 17, 2014
Too many unnecessary musical numbers, and sometimes the film is downright boring. But it's still the muppets, so there's charm aplenty.
½ June 9, 2014
Not the best Muppet movie ever. Hell, I think the film that succeeded it, Muppets Take Manhattan, is superior to this. But, of course, this being a Muppet film, that still means that this is still a pretty damn fun movie with plenty of clever dialogue that constantly breaks the fourth wall and makes reference to the fact that this is a movie, Miss Piggy overacting, Charles Grodin's singing being dubbed over in Piggy's fantasy sequence, among other lines. Much like any other theatrical Muppet film in existence, the film has some adult humor but not enough to where it's "offensive" to a family audience. This might be the Muppet movie with the least amount of cameos I can think of. Maybe I'm wrong, but at least they make it count. The best cameo would have to be John Cleese's as they combine his deadpan delivery with the Muppets' slapstick and it works like a charm, surprisingly enough. There's also a tremendous performance from Charles Grodin as the main villain of the film, it's clear he was having fun with the role and it shows, Grodin makes this goofy character incredibly entertaining. The film's main problems are its unevenness and inconsistency. Relatively minor issues in one of these movies, but they're still there. There's still plenty of highlights, Piggy's dream sequence being one of them. Super short review, but it's a Muppet movie. You know what you can expect from them, fun and good times and this film is no different. Not without its flaws, but a damn fun movie.
½ June 8, 2014
This parody of old school heist movies is often a bit dull but in typical Muppet fashion it features a few great laughs and of course very likeable characters. Celebrity cameos and laughs are not on the level as the previous entry but it still manages to have an old school charm and humor for kids and adults