The Great New Wonderful - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Great New Wonderful Reviews

½ February 12, 2015
This movie was probably brilliant but it also made me want to die. I've been thinking about it for years since I've seen it, so that's something, but I don't feel like any of those thoughts were positive. This movie is probably a weapon of mass destruction.
½ November 5, 2013
Entertaining and moving ensemble movie in the same vein as Steel Magnolias and Shortcuts. While the characters and the subplots are amusing and hold your attention, the cohesion is lacking though.
July 12, 2013
This film captures the disconnected malaise that New Yorkers felt a year after 9/11. It is subtle and elicits a sense of being lost in the viewer, much like New Yorkers must have felt at that time. A remarkable, but somewhat disturbing series of vignettes that strike home.
½ February 6, 2013
What an interesting movie. It tells the story of a group of New Yorkers one year on from the 911 attacks; how they are coping and living their lives. Nothing is said specifically about 911 everything is hinted at throughout the movie (except for the news report). It's filmed beautifully as it sweeps between the characters' lives ultimately I was left wanting more as the movie is a short hr and 20 mins aprox. The most suprising element of this film was the humour. It's subtle and a little black and for me made the movie. It turned a somewhat depressing movie into something unique. Don't expect something extraordinary - this is a movie about everyday things so watch it for the characters.
½ January 10, 2013
Not all the little stories and vignettes work (some seem almost pointless), but most of the performances, especially a haughty luncheon under a veil of politeness with Gyllenhaal and Falco, are spot on, involving and revealing.
½ December 16, 2012
it is actually wonderful, how relationships beyond the obvious remains so very interesting..
November 13, 2012
Not bad, but I'm not a fan of all the films that came out & tried to capitalize on the emotions of 9/11.
September 3, 2012
I will admit: I only bought and watched this because Stephen Colbert is in it, but despite his small role, small, hilarious nuances surface each time you watch.
½ July 1, 2012
there was a sex scene in the film, absolutely disrespectful of thr 9/11 victims.
April 11, 2012
heck frinkin yes!! i love adam sandler!!!
½ January 15, 2012
felt like it never really went anywhere...
½ February 8, 2011
I would give this negative ratings if possible
January 31, 2011
I am doing a presentation on this for 9/11 Literature and Film, looks interesting.
½ December 18, 2010
This movie was not only massively confusing and had no apparent plot, it was a depressing snapshot of New York life that had absolutely no connection to 9/11 as far as I could tell. Poorly edited and ambiguously written, the array of mini stories never connect and mostly consist of people struggling with the troubles of life ending their problems badly; a top-notch cake designer rises to the top and drives her competitor to suicide, one of a close-knit pair of VIP security guards has an affair and his guilt is hurriedly swept away by his partner, and a jovial, light-hearted office worker is crushed into utter depression by his manipulative psychiatrist, who is supposedly bringing him to "realization" of his "buried rage." But perhaps the most disturbing was the couple with a troubled son who ultimately ship off the child "far away" so they can focus on their own sexual gratification. This film highlights the ever-growing "culture of self" that permeates society today: the elimination of natural challenged and struggles of life, both God-given as in the case with the troubled boy and his parents, or self-inflicted, as in the case with the guilty security guard, by focusing on what makes "me" happy, disregarding moral law and society in general. If this is the great new wonderful, I want no part in it.
August 17, 2010
Muito bom mesmo: perfeito para quem gosta de gente.
June 4, 2010
I quote another Flixter user: "Films that are completely unpredictable without being self-indulgent are rare these days." Great actors, including a number of comic actors and comedians - which makes me happy, they often excellent actors. I thought the 9/11 stuff wasn't bothersome, preachy or any of the things that recalling 9/11 way too often is. Great character studies.
½ January 3, 2010
Capitalizing on tragedy - blatantly and superficially. The script is too unspecific. It expects the audience to fill in the blanks of these characters' lives with our own interesting anecdotes and vocabulary. There's nothing insightful or different about these people. They're soooo regular. Just regular people dealing with 9/11. A slice of life that is too half-baked.

I was hoping to like another Danny Leiner movie, but I guess the only similarity between this and H&K is the Indian demographic. In all seriousness though, I found Satish's and Avi's characters the most intriguing for their seamless melding of Hindi and English.
November 21, 2009
And the point to all of this was?
October 25, 2009
Weaker than anticipated, although some of the conclusions the characters came to were thought-provoking.
September 16, 2009
Awkward and random are two words that come to mind which best describe this film. The cast was so talented but there talents were wasted on this weak screenplay. The film has no overall theme or message or really even a good plot. It just has characters and we get to snippets of their lives. Which all and all really isn't that interesting. And none of the stories ever really intertwine. I don't see how this film has anything to do with the world post 9/11. Yet despite all the films flaws I found my self liking it.