The Great Raid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Great Raid Reviews

October 14, 2015
This is a very well made and entertaining film.
August 29, 2015
Although many critics obviously didn't find much to like about this movie, I found it very interesting. I had never heard of this event before, and was happy to see a fairly recent movie using fact-based events where the Americans were actually the heroes! Perhaps that is exactly why those critics DIDN'T like it. I generally have agreed with Roger Ebert, and was glad to see that HE gave it a "FRESH" rating.
August 15, 2015
How about the moderate to average raid.
June 11, 2015
Good for the history, but not a good movie.
½ May 25, 2015
The reviews here under rate this film, in my opinion. This is not a couple hours of shoot-em-up (although I like those films, too.) It is a more complex and gripping story of a daring WWll raid that much more reflects what war is like (according to my husband, who served in one.) It shows the brutality, the fear and the human spirit. Roger Ebert says it is much more like a WWll film back in the day, and I think he's correct. We must have reached a new low in attention span if people complain there are too many subplots. If you like older WW films, I think you will like this one, too.
½ March 2, 2015
The actual raid part was realistic and authentic feeling. In spite of some flaws, this true story gives some recognition to one of the greatest rescue missions in history.
February 25, 2015
Absolutely awful. Wooden performances, awful directing. I guess makeup did ok because they lightly spritzed the leads with water occasionally to simulate hiking, running, and fighting in the Philippines with 100 degree heat and humidity.

Just awful all around. I think Franco was intentionally acting like a dud. All around a joke.
½ February 5, 2015
Watched this amazing movie and is a must see! Got to love James Franco too!
January 14, 2015
This movie was slow and pretty boring all the way to the final raid near the end. Characters were shallow, and too many subplots, so there is nothing really to think about until the end.
December 16, 2014
It's a great movie with a pacing problem the movie is drawn out around 30 minutes longer than needed
½ December 15, 2014
A fantastic true story deserved a better film.
November 3, 2014
A well told true story of a brave effort to save American POWs in Japan at the end of WWII, but somewhat too reverent, and lacking the building suspense of a true masterpiece such as Bridge on the River Kwai.
½ August 5, 2014
It's ultimately too stoic, both in design and performances, even if the pieces fit pretty well together from a surface perspective.
July 13, 2014
Me gusta que traigan a la pantalla grande, sucesos de la vida real.
May 26, 2014
A solid telling of a true event, starts and ends with documentary and news reel footage. The planning and execution of the POW camp raid of the Rangers with the help of the Filipinos is awe inspiring.
½ May 23, 2014
ok WWII pic post WWII.
May 18, 2014
BUENA PELICULA DE GUERRA INTERESANTE HISTORIA
½ April 30, 2014
A long movie about the great raid/prison escape on a Pacific Island during WWII. It was better than I expected, and it was more interesting with a better battle scene than I expected. It was a little too long, mostly due to the unessersary and misplaced romance story, which shouldn't be in the movie at all. It just gets in the way, and is unbelievable and shouldn't be in the film. The movie begins pretty slow with the exception of the Japanese murdering prisoners, but after that is pretty slow for a while. Nothing really of significance happens with the advancing Rangers for most of the movie, so all the interesting stuff surprisingly happens in the POW camp. The battle at the end is far better than I expected, and did a good job of showing the slow escape and battling the charging Japanese soldiers. The Japanese commander surviving most if the battle and attacking the Americans by himself portrays him as the main evil bad guy who of course has to be the last to die like any action hero movie. So I didn't like that part. But at the very end after the escape when the nurse goes to find her former POW lover, and he is dead, is in my opinion a far better way to end the romance story, than having him survive and live happily ever after with her. That may sound dark, but I think it was better that he didn't live, because its far less predictable and ends the movie with the right message without glamorizing war. Romance stories don't belong in war movies, which is shown well in Enemy at the Gates. So it was an ok, long, fairly uneventful movie, which is nothing like The Great Escape, which is a far better POW prison break movie, but it's not about the same camp.
½ March 9, 2014
Terrible, sappy, made-for-TV quality. This film is beneath the caliber of the actors in it and almost trivializes the participants in the real-life event.
½ February 16, 2014
At times boring but in the end the film got interesting overall this movie is a solid .