Great World of Sound Reviews

• Jan 21, 2019

Ok comedy - but the fake auditions go on a bit too long. Once one finds out that most of the musicians were real people who actually thought they were auditioning for music producers, it gives the whole film a bit more of a mean-spirited feel.

• Sep 13, 2016

Kene Holiday is terrific in this masterpiece of a film.

Kene Holiday is terrific in this masterpiece of a film.

• Oct 31, 2015

US Indie about scam to con money off people selling them studio time to record their own songs, low budget affair, bit repetitive and ultimately not sure if it could have been a shorter film.

• Dec 30, 2012

It stars me. What else do you need to know? Okay, one more thing: it's awesome. Honest.

• The Movie W Super Reviewer
    Sep 30, 2012

The debut feature of "Compliance" director Craig Zobel is an enjoyable little indie concerning the moral dilemma of taking an unethical job in these grim economic times. Pat Healy and Kene Holliday are great as two "record producers" whose job is to sign up musicians under the false pretence that they will launch their career.

• Jul 24, 2012

The lone film I went out of my way to see at the Vancouver Film Festival, Great World of Sound is mocumentary about a money scam as told by two salesmen who are oblivious to the fact that it is a scam. What is the scam? A fake record company has open auditions to naive musicians in various smalltowns in the the south. The salesmen then ask the superstar hopefuls for a financial investment to show their "commitment" to making it. This commitment is in the 3000 dollar range. As funny as this film was, particularly Keene Holiday as Clarence, an incredibly enthusiastic and sheisty salesmen with a mean mout to boot, it takes a serious turn when Martin finally admits to himself what they're doing when taking an audition from the first talented, and very beautiful, hopeful they've met. When it's all said and done, this movie is about taking one last shot at that dream of being someone, and then realizing it will never happen.

• Apr 07, 2012

This film in all it's simplicity makes a major statement about the cost of dreaming big and hoping for more. Cast in the duel role of The DUPERS and the DUPED themselves are Pat Healy and Kene Holliday who simplu outstanding. At the heart of the film are these auditions sessions which I believe are of REAL people rather than actors auditioning with the hopes of scoring a record deal. Fi that is the cast then the process of making this film is simply brilliant to me. Heartbreaking, absorbing and powerful, you almost feel guilty as these guys almost unknowingly fleece the hopeful. A sad but true portrait, in the micro, of how the Entertainment Industry manipulates people into dreaming beyond the reality of there eathbound situations. IS American Idol any worse than The Great World of Sound Productions? Great Movie.

• Dec 16, 2011

I was not surprised to learn that the "musicians" auditioning in the movie were not aware during filming that it was not a real audition. It really did increase the reality of the film. The only think I did not like about the film was that they included way to many of these auditions. I could have gotten the point with half as many. Maybe one of the major skills of a director is to know what to leave on the cutting room floor. Still, a very enjoyable film that I would really like to show to several aspiring singers I know to slap them into reality.

• Nov 23, 2011

A hilarious low-key comedy about the "wonders" of the music business.

A hilarious low-key comedy about the "wonders" of the music business.

• Feb 14, 2011

A good movie with some good moments, but it was just missing something.

A good movie with some good moments, but it was just missing something.