The Greatest Game Ever Played - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Greatest Game Ever Played Reviews

½ June 16, 2014
I don't watch a lot of sports movies, and I enjoyed this one. It's a shame that Shia LeBoeuf has fallen out of fame in recent years. He is great in this role.
June 14, 2014
Great golf movie and story!
½ June 1, 2014
It's based on a true story. The movie is well-made and entertaining. Shia makes a good job.
½ May 24, 2014
Great inspirational film for the entire family. Makes you want to stand up and clap. Acting is ok. Directing, like always from bill Paxton is very good.

Recommended
May 19, 2014
It's an incredible true story that can sweep the imagination of any sports fan, regardless of love for golf. LeBeouf is great as well as the rest of the cast, especially Flitter. There's an odd subplot with Vardon that is neither fully explained or useful in the telling of the story. Aside from that there is not much to say bad about this great film.
March 25, 2014
da heck? How is this film so good? Sports movies notoriously suck but this one was da bomb! I guess the magic is that the writing of the characters for this film is spot on. This had a nice balance of all good things.

SUMMARY: A good film!
January 18, 2014
This movie is fantastic! It's up there with Rudy. A must see!
½ January 11, 2014
I never liked golf but this movie opened up my eyes. Shia puts on yet another heart warming performance to go along with a nice film.
December 31, 2013
One of the few movies that I appreciate with Shia LaBeouf now. It was a pretty inspiring movie and I love an underdog story. If you are a golf lover, I would greatly recommend.
December 8, 2013
The Greatest Game Ever Played is in fact a movie about one of the best rounds of golf in the history of the sport but the movie couldn't quite live up to the hype of the actual round of golf. I don't think anyone could do this terrific feet by an amateur justice anyway, but all the movie can say is, "I gave it my best shot." This movie is probably underachieving just because not too many people really care about something that happened a hundred years age, this modern age of sports movies shadow this movie about lowly golf. The story of Francis Ouimet becoming the only amateur to win the U.S. open is a great rags to riches story but the movie simply overplays that aspect. Yes, it is touching that a boy who can't get approval from his coal mining father wins the greatest tournament as just an amateur at the age of 20, but the director tries to get too much out of this relationship and in effect sells the movie short. The fact that Ouimet is "A bloody Amateur" (a quote from a snobby British bloke) and wins by beating the greatest golfer at the time, Harry Vardon, is too good to be true which makes the movie hard to produce. The movie doesn't have enough about the actual round of golf and tries too hard to push through Francis being accepted by his father. The name of the movie is "The Greatest Game Ever Played" and therefore should concentrate more on the actual round of golf.
December 4, 2013
One of my favorite movies of all time! Based upon true events of 1913 US Open. Bill Paxton did an excellent job of creating a well pace movie from the book which can be slow in some parts. I simply love this movie and if you ever wanted to know why I'm such a golf nut than simply watch this movie
November 29, 2013
DEMASIADO BUENA, Y QUE 3 ACTORES GENIALES, SIN PALABRAS......
November 11, 2013
A fantastic golf movie!! It is a touching and fun movie!! The whole family will enjoy it!! It will even appeal to people who don't even like golf!! This is definitely a must-see!!
September 29, 2013
Heartfelt story that brings the skill and emotion of a young golfer to life. Soft lighting and photography clinch the early 1900s well. The costuming is elegant and worthy of the period, ensuring that the actors fit well into their parts. One of the most picturesque golf movies that you will see. Nibbles: Enjoy with cucumber sandwiches.
½ July 19, 2013
Quite an achievement, to make an interesting movie about a golf match. But with some pointed and accurate social commentary, and a nice counterpoint 'clown' figure pricking all the inflated egos, the standard Hollywood 'underdog wins' formula delivers a workable format and good acting saves the product.
July 3, 2013
A must see movie for every golfer - true story...?
½ June 20, 2013
I had seen this movie a lot. It is an old movie and was released in September of 2005. I really did enjoy it though. While there are many other and better movies that have come out since then. This specific movie did a lot of unique camera work and really put some effects in it that makes it stand out against the rest. The acting was pretty great too. Mr. LaBeouf did a great job playing the lead, and this may be one of his movies that becomes my favorite. I have not been too keen on his acting since the Transformers, but this was well done. Very family friendly, great inspiring story, and tearing up moments which they very much emphasized. I guess my biggest thing about it is that if you do not like golf, sports, filming, or history, there is not much enticement to it. Most movies will draw big audiences into it, but this one does not put you on the edge of your seat like angels in the outfield. This one goes either way. Either you love it and feel like you spent no time at all, or you hate it and feel it was overdone and drawn out with the camera angles. Overall, good movie that is great for all audiences. I give it a 3.5 out 5 stars.
½ June 15, 2013
I laughed and cried and wished I could play Golf better... Classic story of the dark-horse, but for once about something other than a HORSE. Even though you see everything coming, it had a satisfying ring to it that just resonated after you were done. Quite good with extraordinary actors (most of the time) and screen-play. Only failure was slight casting and of story clean-up issues. 4.5/5
June 4, 2013
I don't know much about golf. But I know a good movie when I see one - and this one makes the grade.