The Green Pastures - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Green Pastures Reviews

½ August 11, 2015
I love this movie, even with it's questionable stereotypical treatment of African Americans and loads of theological error glosses. It's a beautiful movie. Rex Ingram was amazing.
April 5, 2015
one of my favorite biblical movies of all time. I love this movie.
½ November 23, 2014
Maybe the best of what they used to call 'Race Films'. Hollywood movies by white people with all black casts for black audiences. Usually stories incorporating every unrealistic black stereotype they could think of because... well, that's what people really believed back.
This film is better than 98% of the rest for several reasons. One: the direction is outstanding, Two:the script's actually very good, and very funny when looked at as satire, Three: the acting and the cast are amazing, it contains pretty much every A-list black star of the day. You get the feeling watching the movie that the cast got the underlying satire and really played it up. They all seem like they're have great time making it. Check it out, but be prepared for jaw-dropping stereotype portrails.
½ August 25, 2009
great move. Loved it
½ June 17, 2009
Terrific all black fantasy film. Eddie Anderson, Rex Ingram and the rest of the cast are terrific. Unique and a very intriguing piece of history. Always interesting.
December 18, 2008
Back in the day they made great movies like this. Unfortunately it contains lots of "negro typecasting' but the entertainment value is there. The story of the Old Testament told in a black spiritual musical format. I saw this several times as a child and was thoroughly entertained. Although some of the 'type casting' is out of place in the modern day this movie still entertains today.
July 7, 2008
nominated for best picture by NBR
February 27, 2008
Yeah, it's a bit on the racist side... But what do you expect from 1936?
It might be the most interesting take on the Bible I've ever seen.
November 13, 2007
This is gorgeous. You'll weep.
November 6, 2007
Wonderful, historic film, about simple human musings of what heaven and the Genesis accounts are like from the perspective of a 1930's era Louisiana kid's Sunday School class. It's one of the first minority films to use an all-minority cast. Rex Ingram acts in multiple character roles, sometimes simultaneously. This is a film that warms hearts and brings smiles.
October 8, 2007
This is an impressive film...for its era. Its imagery is important for viewers interested in how Hollywood created America's popular image of black people. It's historically-relevant, but the imagery and plot certainly do not reflect modern sensibilities.
August 31, 2007
"Has ya bin baptized...?'
A true product of its' time, it's a little racist, I think, but still a totally watchable film, unless you can't sit still for three minutes without a shootout or a car chase inserted to make a movie "interesting".
½ April 7, 2007
I love this movie. It is the original Ten Commandments.
The All-Black Cast give this film a realness unlike The Ten Commandments.
½ January 16, 2006