The Green Pastures Reviews

• Jan 18, 2018

Another lost flixster rating. A different take on traditional bible stories.

Another lost flixster rating. A different take on traditional bible stories.

• Aug 11, 2015

I love this movie, even with it's questionable stereotypical treatment of African Americans and loads of theological error glosses. It's a beautiful movie. Rex Ingram was amazing.

• Apr 05, 2015

one of my favorite biblical movies of all time. I love this movie.

one of my favorite biblical movies of all time. I love this movie.

• Nov 23, 2014

Maybe the best of what they used to call 'Race Films'. Hollywood movies by white people with all black casts for black audiences. Usually stories incorporating every unrealistic black stereotype they could think of because... well, that's what people really believed back. This film is better than 98% of the rest for several reasons. One: the direction is outstanding, Two:the script's actually very good, and very funny when looked at as satire, Three: the acting and the cast are amazing, it contains pretty much every A-list black star of the day. You get the feeling watching the movie that the cast got the underlying satire and really played it up. They all seem like they're have great time making it. Check it out, but be prepared for jaw-dropping stereotype portrails.

• Jun 17, 2009

Terrific all black fantasy film. Eddie Anderson, Rex Ingram and the rest of the cast are terrific. Unique and a very intriguing piece of history. Always interesting.

• May 12, 2009

great move. Loved it

great move. Loved it

• Dec 18, 2008

Back in the day they made great movies like this. Unfortunately it contains lots of "negro typecasting' but the entertainment value is there. The story of the Old Testament told in a black spiritual musical format. I saw this several times as a child and was thoroughly entertained. Although some of the 'type casting' is out of place in the modern day this movie still entertains today.

• Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, it's a bit on the racist side... But what do you expect from 1936? It might be the most interesting take on the Bible I've ever seen.

• Nov 13, 2007

This is gorgeous. You'll weep.

This is gorgeous. You'll weep.

• Nov 06, 2007

Wonderful, historic film, about simple human musings of what heaven and the Genesis accounts are like from the perspective of a 1930's era Louisiana kid's Sunday School class. It's one of the first minority films to use an all-minority cast. Rex Ingram acts in multiple character roles, sometimes simultaneously. This is a film that warms hearts and brings smiles.